Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hey L&O, not to change the subject but are they having a scoring school or training coming up in April? If so how can I go or sign up. I applied to be a scorer and haven't heard anything in weeks. Just wondering.
Dave
It is disappointing to hear that you were not given clear advice on how and when to attend the next class. CBM needs scorers and people who might be willing to attend a scoring event in their area for a few hours to help.
For anyone interested, notice the number of counties that CBM has zero or only 1 scorer.
From the conversation that I heard at the Novi show, I believe the next class is this summer......April would be better if that is correct.
Guessing that you saw this and made contact thru the CBM website:

Also sending pm.

L & O

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Couldn’t find answer is it net score or gross score
Most definitely gross. IMO it is unfortunate that the idea of deductions was ever applied to antlers.

L & O

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Bump.
Adding another category. Total number of hunters killing a buck and total hunters killing a buck or doe.
Button bucks or shed bucks count as a doe(antlerless). Summer crop damage deer do not count. That's not hunting.
Michigan fair-chase deer only.
I had to talk with family to get our accurate numbers. Total for bucks was easy because that has been recorded on paper since we first started taking bucks from our property. Does, not so easy because we do not write down names of people killing does each year. We just write down the total number of does killed. So we did our best thinking of hunters who have killed a doe here, but not a buck.......maybe we missed a couple, but not likely more than that.

For us, total hunters killing at least 1 buck---42
Killing a doe only 17, so 59 total hunters killing a deer on the property.
Taken from post # 53.

We are now at 43 and 60.

L & O

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I’m at about 560 right now with 3 being bow kills and 2 rifle. All have been shot in the past 5 seasons when I started my goal of only shooting 3.5 yr old bucks or older. My biggest was last season and it was a 120” 8 point.
Head Elk Deer Horn Fawn

Looking to upgrade 2 of them yet this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
A bump and a reminder that this thread is for Michigan fair-chase deer only.
Probably quite a few in the Michigan 100 Club. 100 Michigan deer--buck or doe. Taken during a regular season only, that is taken from the Youth Hunt in Sept thru Jan. 1st. Summer crop damage and Jan. disease deer do not count because it isn't hunting.
Not many will be in the Michigan Century Club. 100 Michigan fair-chase bucks.

L & O

·
Registered
676 Posts
A bump and a reminder that this thread is for Michigan fair-chase deer only.
Probably quite a few in the Michigan 100 Club. 100 Michigan deer--buck or doe. Taken during a regular season only, that is taken from the Youth Hunt in Sept thru Jan. 1st. Summer crop damage and Jan. disease deer do not count because it isn't hunting.
Not many will be in the Michigan Century Club. 100 Michigan fair-chase bucks.

L & O
Not to many to go for 100 MI bucks. If I hadn't vacated Michigan for a stint, I'd probably already be there.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 · (Edited)
Not to many to go for 100 MI bucks. If I hadn't vacated Michigan for a stint, I'd probably already be there.
For guys our age, it was a bit harder getting to 100 Michigan bucks. I think it was '78 when Michigan went to the 2 buck system......then it was 1 archery and 1 gun. Also could not buy a license until age 14. We did have some years where we could take 4 bucks. Not likely to ever see that again.

L & O

·
Registered
676 Posts
For guys our age, it was a bit harder getting to 100 Michigan bucks. I think it was '78 when Michigan went to the 2 buck system......then it was 1 archery and 1 gun. Also could not buy a license until age 14. We did have some years where we could take 4 bucks. Not likely to ever see that again.

L & O
I started with archery deer when I was 12 with a long bow. You could get an either sex deer with a bow then and a buck with a gun. Had to apply for a doe permit, which was low odds of drawing one then.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Should be getting a few new members this year with the numerous good bucks showing up on the site.
Would also be interested in anyone whose property might be in the 700 Club. Group effort to score the 5 best ever taken from your property. Michigan bucks and gross score.

L & O

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Quick math puts me about 580".

On a side note, I've begun measuring my best 5 harvested doe's nipples and I think I'm on to something...I'm in the 5 7/8" club (for the second time).

This is meant to be funny and in no way displays my jealousy of those of you in the 700" club. I just hate you for other reasons that I cannot explain at this moment.
The farmer that lets me turkey hunt his property uses a tip to tip "ear spread" measurement when describing a big doe!

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
The farmer that lets me turkey hunt his property uses a tip to tip "ear spread" measurement when describing a big doe!
I think I'll stick with weighing our does to determine size category. 120# and up are big ones on our property. Field dressed.
Do you get a turkey most springs ? Any 12" beards and/or 1 1/4"+ spurs ?

L & O

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I think I'll stick with weighing our does to determine size category. 120# and up are big ones on our property. Field dressed.
Do you get a turkey most springs ? Any 12" beards and/or 1 1/4"+ spurs ?

L & O
Longest beard was 11” but I have shot several multiple beards that I should have reported? A quad beard with 10” longest, a triple with 9” longest and an average two year old 8 with 2 beards.
Longest spurs were 11/8”

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Longest beard was 11” but I have shot several multiple beards that I should have reported? A quad beard with 10” longest, a triple with 9” longest and an average two year old 8 with 2 beards.
Longest spurs were 11/8”
For $30 you can put all the turkeys in the CBM book that qualify.

L & O

Reactions: eucman

·
Registered
590 Posts
I think i would be in the 600s. I know i got a 124 that one i put in cbm bow kill. A 10 i scored at 128, another 8 thats 120 and change. Last 2 bucks i have killed was a mid 130 ish 8 and today i broke the 140 mark with a 142 3/8” 9point. Once i score em and there on the wall i forget exactly what they score.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
I think i would be in the 600s. I know i got a 124 that one i put in cbm bow kill. A 10 i scored at 128, another 8 thats 120 and change. Last 2 bucks i have killed was a mid 130 ish 8 and today i broke the 140 mark with a 142 3/8” 9point. Once i score em and there on the wall i forget exactly what they score.
For sure you are in the 600s. One big one and we will lose you to the varsity team.
Score 'em once and write the gross score on a piece of masking tape and stick it somewhere so it can be seen, no one's memory is perfect.

L & O

81 - 99 of 99 Posts