Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I’m pretty sure we have killed 66 bucks off the farm in Coldwater and a 126 deer total. My buddy bought it in 1998 and I started hunting it in 2000.......
Nice. Branch County is a desirable hunting area for deer and turkeys.

L & O

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
We have taken 4 bucks and 2 does. All shot by my kids, the wife and I haven't shot any deer yet. We've owned it for 6 years.
Hope you can build on that with improved habitat and eventually will be averaging 2+ a year.

L & O

Reactions: anagranite

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Hope you can build on that with improved habitat and eventually will be averaging 2+ a year.

L & O
Switchgrass is doing great and pine trees are growing slowly. I can't do hinge cutting but things are looking better each year. I had a decent stick of 3 year old bucks until my neighbor started using corn and shot 3 of them. I currently have at least 11 bucks visiting the property with one being a 3 year old but he's a half rack. Food plots and alfalfa have helped a lot but I need more cover for bedding.

We didn't kill anything this year and my son only hunted once to lower the pressure.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Besides giving individuals an opportunity to share personal numbers, I have suggested that hunters might share what their group/family has done on State Land or on their private property since ownership occured.
The best 5 from your property gross score of 500 or 600 + ? Maybe 700+ ?
Total kills of your group on State Land or from your property? Certainly a good number at 100+. Some over 500+ also.

Adding another category. Total number of hunters killing a buck and total hunters killing a buck or doe.
Button bucks or shed bucks count as a doe(antlerless). Summer crop damage deer do not count. That's not hunting.
Michigan fair-chase deer only.
I had to talk with family to get our accurate numbers. Total for bucks was easy because that has been recorded on paper since we first started taking bucks from our property. Does, not so easy because we do not write down names of people killing does each year. We just write down the total number of does killed. So we did our best thinking of hunters who have killed a doe here, but not a buck.......maybe we missed a couple, but not likely more than that.

For us, total hunters killing at least 1 buck---42
Killing a doe only 17, so 59 total hunters killing a deer on the property.

Because of the location of our property, we have taken a good number of deer yearly for the last 45 years. The years before that.......not so good. We are pleased that we have passed the 50 mark. Some of those hunters have passed on to their happy hunting grounds. Quite a few were around for only a year or two and have moved on. It was fun remembering some names from the past.

L & O

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I currently have at least 11 bucks visiting the property with one being a 3 year old but he's a half rack.
Wow. Someone will be using a tag or two on those next season.

L & O

Reactions: anagranite

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Top 5 on our property is 813
Not many property owners will beat that number. I sure wish we were within a 100" of that number, but we are not.
I like the idea of property best & totals. Maybe best 5,10 & 25. Probably most top properties would be south of Lansing.

L & O

41 - 60 of 99 Posts