Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

500 & 600 Michigan Buck Clubs

10358 Views 98 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  bfaber
A spinoff of the 700 Club. Lots of us are never going to be in the 700 Club for a variety of reasons. #1 reason is that we may have never seen a(or very few) 140" buck alive in person or on camera in the area that we hunt.

Rules:
Michigan fair-chase bucks only.
Legally taken.
5 bucks score added together.
Gross score.......standard B&C scoring. CBM is B&C scoring.
If your bucks haven't been scored by CBM, put a tape to them yourself.
You can be in both clubs. Example: Your 5 best--611 3/8. Your 5 best bow--569 2/8. Your 5 best gun--587 7/8.
Another example: Your 5 best SLP bucks--657 6/8. Your 5 best NLP bucks--547 1/8. Your 5 best UP bucks 501 0/8.
And another: Your 5 best private land bucks--607 3/8. Your 5 best public land--561 5/8.

L & O
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Getting to 575 in your area might be the equivalent to getting to 700 in the SLP south of Lansing.

L & O
I can make 500 with my 5 best NLP bucks for sure. I can’t get to 600”, biggest obstacle is a historical lack of 10 points. I’ve got a 118” nine, followed by 9, 8, 8 and 8 that score between 105-110”. Sum is 548”.
Joking aside, yes you would still get the 4 mass measurements. In this case, all the same number. Maybe a 100 Club for spikes only ?

L & O
How does B&C scoring work on a spike? Do I not get any mass measurements? Trying to figure out if my 5 biggest spikes make the 500 mark
Reactions: polish.polka.prince
Thanks, I see no reason that I had to make that request.

L & O
Yep, the 150 all spike club might be a better goal.

L & O
I Think 100 would be too easy.
There is this thing called Google............

L & O
.......... I've seen the charts before, but never paid attention, and wouldn't know where to find one.
Reactions: Dish7 and sniper
If anyone would like to share how many total deer(or just bucks) that have been taken from your property or from your deer camp that would be interesting.
For some smaller properties or camps, getting to 50 is a good goal. For larger farms in deer rich areas getting to 500 might be a more likely goal.
Also, any camps or properties have at least 50 or more different hunters take at leat 1 deer from that camp or property ?

L & O
Reactions: Ingbow
Nice. Branch County is a desirable hunting area for deer and turkeys.

L & O
I’m pretty sure we have killed 66 bucks off the farm in Coldwater and a 126 deer total. My buddy bought it in 1998 and I started hunting it in 2000.......
Now that you are sober, try reading post #1 again.

L & O
What kind of fake club is this?
  • Haha
Reactions: jiggin is livin
Hope you can build on that with improved habitat and eventually will be averaging 2+ a year.

L & O
We have taken 4 bucks and 2 does. All shot by my kids, the wife and I haven't shot any deer yet. We've owned it for 6 years.
Reactions: anagranite
Besides giving individuals an opportunity to share personal numbers, I have suggested that hunters might share what their group/family has done on State Land or on their private property since ownership occured.
The best 5 from your property gross score of 500 or 600 + ? Maybe 700+ ?
Total kills of your group on State Land or from your property? Certainly a good number at 100+. Some over 500+ also.

Adding another category. Total number of hunters killing a buck and total hunters killing a buck or doe.
Button bucks or shed bucks count as a doe(antlerless). Summer crop damage deer do not count. That's not hunting.
Michigan fair-chase deer only.
I had to talk with family to get our accurate numbers. Total for bucks was easy because that has been recorded on paper since we first started taking bucks from our property. Does, not so easy because we do not write down names of people killing does each year. We just write down the total number of does killed. So we did our best thinking of hunters who have killed a doe here, but not a buck.......maybe we missed a couple, but not likely more than that.

For us, total hunters killing at least 1 buck---42
Killing a doe only 17, so 59 total hunters killing a deer on the property.

Because of the location of our property, we have taken a good number of deer yearly for the last 45 years. The years before that.......not so good. We are pleased that we have passed the 50 mark. Some of those hunters have passed on to their happy hunting grounds. Quite a few were around for only a year or two and have moved on. It was fun remembering some names from the past.

L & O
Reactions: LabtechLewis
Wow. Someone will be using a tag or two on those next season.

L & O
I currently have at least 11 bucks visiting the property with one being a 3 year old but he's a half rack.
Reactions: anagranite
Not many property owners will beat that number. I sure wish we were within a 100" of that number, but we are not.
I like the idea of property best & totals. Maybe best 5,10 & 25. Probably most top properties would be south of Lansing.

L & O
Top 5 on our property is 813
Well that changes everything.

L & O
  • Haha
Reactions: Sunshinetim and 3X8
Zone 3 bucks ? Multiple counties ?

L & O
I sit somewhere between 698-701”. I am waiting for a no doubter that puts me over. If I was to swap out my lowest and replace with my sons buck which I sat next to him during bow season and watched him harvest, we would be around 725”. All his fault. Lol.
That is excellent. Probably quite a few bucks between 100-125" ?

L & O
I just did some quick math and believe my dad and I have a combined top 5 right at 700" off the small lease we've hunted for the last 30 years. Not bad for a 20 acre woodlot.
Measuring or in some way evaluating nipples.......pretty sure that would be a different kind of club.
I'm surprised that we didn't consider that some 50 years ago at college when we were discussing our dates.

L & O
On a side note, I've begun measuring my best 5 harvested doe's nipples and I think I'm on to something...I'm in the 5 7/8" club (for the second time).
Reactions: jiggin is livin
It is disappointing to hear that you were not given clear advice on how and when to attend the next class. CBM needs scorers and people who might be willing to attend a scoring event in their area for a few hours to help.
For anyone interested, notice the number of counties that CBM has zero or only 1 scorer.
From the conversation that I heard at the Novi show, I believe the next class is this summer......April would be better if that is correct.
Guessing that you saw this and made contact thru the CBM website:

Also sending pm.

L & O
Hey L&O, not to change the subject but are they having a scoring school or training coming up in April? If so how can I go or sign up. I applied to be a scorer and haven't heard anything in weeks. Just wondering.
Dave
Most definitely gross. IMO it is unfortunate that the idea of deductions was ever applied to antlers.

L & O
Couldn’t find answer is it net score or gross score
Bump.
Adding another category. Total number of hunters killing a buck and total hunters killing a buck or doe.
Button bucks or shed bucks count as a doe(antlerless). Summer crop damage deer do not count. That's not hunting.
Michigan fair-chase deer only.
I had to talk with family to get our accurate numbers. Total for bucks was easy because that has been recorded on paper since we first started taking bucks from our property. Does, not so easy because we do not write down names of people killing does each year. We just write down the total number of does killed. So we did our best thinking of hunters who have killed a doe here, but not a buck.......maybe we missed a couple, but not likely more than that.

For us, total hunters killing at least 1 buck---42
Killing a doe only 17, so 59 total hunters killing a deer on the property.
Taken from post # 53.

We are now at 43 and 60.

L & O
1 - 20 of 26 Posts