Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,698 Posts
I can make 500 with my 5 best NLP bucks for sure. I can’t get to 600”, biggest obstacle is a historical lack of 10 points. I’ve got a 118” nine, followed by 9, 8, 8 and 8 that score between 105-110”. Sum is 548”.

The buck that would score the highest is a mid-120’s ten point. However, he doesn’t count, 3 points were broken off and the rack was restored.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
Getting to 575 in your area might be the equivalent to getting to 700 in the SLP south of Lansing.

L & O
It’s true, I would have to get very lucky and tag at least one generational buck to push 600. 140-150 bucks have obviously existed, they’re just so rare. I’ve probably seen one in 35 years of hunting the NLP. Opening day 2000 at 7:30 am running very fast. No idea how many points and such, but there was a lot of bone. I’ve often wondered if it was an escapee from a high fence operation. About that same timeframe a guy took an escaped buck about 5 miles down the road.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
Those 3 look pretty sturdy to me.
Thanks, the one that's mounted was the oldest of the 3. For the NLP you just have to adjust your expectations, I'm obviously okay with bucks like this representing the top end. I will say this, with more bucks having 5 on a side, scores have a chance to climb a bit. For a long time the largest rack we ever took was a giant 6 point from 1999. It was a massive fork horn with brow tines. Judging by the genetics his kind bred a lot. That dude had 23-24" main beams.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts