Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to slide goose limit discussion over here from the pic thread...

Is everyone that worried about the goose population?? Based on my personal (not scientific) observation, the population has been growing every year recently. I live on a small inland lake in central/west Michigan... 5 years ago we'd see a few geese stop by in the spring but never stay. 3 years ago we had the first nesting pair that I can recall in the last 15+ years. Now there are several nesting pairs that yield about 75-100 offspring. I can only imagine that similar situations are common around the state.

I see plenty of geese around all year long and imagine they could quite possibly grow to be as big of a nuisance as snows if the population isn't kept in check.

·
Registered
352 Posts
They are everywhere. When my aunt and uncle lived on a lake, they wanted me to come blast them off their yard because they'd be harassed by the geese when outside. I asked if they checked the legality of it and they said their neighbor does it....yeah....that doesn't mean it's right. It's a populated lake and there are safety concerns to consider. I passed and I also noticed I didn't hear anymore about the neighbor shooting the geese either.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are everywhere. When my aunt and uncle lived on a lake, they wanted me to come blast them off their yard because they'd be harassed by the geese when outside. I asked if they checked the legality of it and they said their neighbor does it....yeah....that doesn't mean it's right. It's a populated lake and there are safety concerns to consider. I passed and I also noticed I didn't hear anymore about the neighbor shooting the geese either.
Most folks on our lake do not care for them either. When those 75 little ones find their way onto your lawn it doesn't take them very long to cover it in feces. And it happens to at least 1 or 2 lawns every day all summer long.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Most folks on our lake do not care for them either. When those 75 little ones find their way onto your lawn it doesn't take them very long to cover it in feces. And it happens to at least 1 or 2 lawns every day all summer long.
The feces part was another complaint as well.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
A lot of new homeowners on private lakes think the geese are cute and start feeding them until the point they are crapping all over their lawn, then they want someone else to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Plenty of geese. Dnr destroys nests on some lakes in the area. They won't be extinct anytime soon
This.

Had this conversation with my grandfather over Labor Day. Amazing the difference in populations now vs when I was a kid tagging along.

North Dakota is 8 birds for the limit in certain areas. If 5 birds isn't the magic number for Geese here, we may get an increase beyond 5.

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
lotta guys don't understand geese and their migration....and the different flocks that are managed. they are usually the complainers. :)

SJB geese actually don't live on golf courses and are managed pretty heavy....and lot of our seasons/limits are based on them.

this is also where the GMU's came into play and their wonky seasons. early and late were big limits. during migration limit was 1 or 2 because we took a lot of pressure from destination states because we harvested too hard on the SJB's

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Yep, you can actually see the difference of the flight Geese from northern Canada, a lot rougher looking. It seems to me a two month late season (rather then one) at the beginning of the year could help control them. If you have all deep snow in January the hunting is very limited.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Worried, not at all. There are an abundant amount of local geese in my area that never migrate south.

Reactions: jrose

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
lotta guys don't understand geese and their migration....and the different flocks that are managed. they are usually the complainers. :)

SJB geese actually don't live on golf courses and are managed pretty heavy....and lot of our seasons/limits are based on them.

this is also where the GMU's came into play and their wonky seasons. early and late were big limits. during migration limit was 1 or 2 because we took a lot of pressure from destination states because we harvested too hard on the SJB's
Honestly, I wonder whether anyone setting the season framework up for geese in Michigan has a clear grasp of what the populations' status is now. SJB birds and Mississippi Valleybirds were combined with one other population to form a new management unit (GMU), immediately prior the Covid 19 pandemic's onset. The new GMU is now titled the Southeren Hudson Bay Population

Southern Hudson Bay Population (SHBP)
SHBP Canada geese nest in the Hudson
Bay Lowlands, on Akimiski Island, and along
the eastern and southern portions of Hudson
and James Bays, and they concentrate during
fall and winter throughout Manitoba, Ontario,
and the Mississippi Flyway states (Figure 3).
SHBP Canada geese are comprised of the former
Southern James Bay, Mississippi Valley, and
Eastern Prairie Populations of Canada geese.
In 2016 a new aerial survey was developed to
monitor SHBP Canada geese along the south
and west coastal areas of the Hudson and James
Bays (Mississippi Flyway Council 2017).

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
Honestly, I wonder whether anyone setting the season framework up for geese in Michigan has a clear grasp of what the populations' status is now. SJB birds and Mississippi Valleybirds were combined with one other population to form a new management unit (GMU), immediately prior the Covid 19 pandemic's onset. The new GMU is now titled the Southeren Hudson Bay Population

Southern Hudson Bay Population (SHBP)
SHBP Canada geese nest in the Hudson
Bay Lowlands, on Akimiski Island, and along
the eastern and southern portions of Hudson
and James Bays, and they concentrate during
fall and winter throughout Manitoba, Ontario,
and the Mississippi Flyway states (Figure 3).
SHBP Canada geese are comprised of the former
Southern James Bay, Mississippi Valley, and
Eastern Prairie Populations of Canada geese.
In 2016 a new aerial survey was developed to
monitor SHBP Canada geese along the south
and west coastal areas of the Hudson and James
Bays (Mississippi Flyway Council 2017).
yeah i don't hunt them anymore or pay much attention to geese numbers so i have no clue how they are guided in their management anymore. i just know enough to know the GMU's had a lot to do with SJB and loud complaints from kentucky used to dictate our harvest limits. I have no clue anymore, nor really care as long as they aren't extinct :)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
yeah i don't hunt them anymore or pay much attention to geese numbers so i have no clue how they are guided in their management anymore. i just know enough to know the GMU's had a lot to do with SJB and loud complaints from kentucky used to dictate our harvest limits. I have no clue anymore, nor really care as long as they aren't extinct :)
Our bag limit makes me nervous, since it really has no significant volume of transect data to support it, particularly in a year of significant drought throughout the Canadian prairies and Coteau country of NoDak...pulled the plug for the second time in fifteen years to not go to North Dakota. We would be returning this weekend...

We were always told that about 60% of the MVP birds migrated through the UP and down the Wisconsin side of Lake Michigan, which was why Wisconsin hunters successfully argued for a greater proportion of production each year, advocating that Michgan hunters always had "their" giant Canada population as a fall-back since many of these birds were non-migratory. SJB birds generally migrate through east of Munising over to the St. Marys River. Horicon Marsh hunters were granted most of these birds until the new refuge manager redrew the hunting unit boundaries and bags. Suddenly, we received a bag limit increase... WE usually get a big pulse of non-mating giants that come across from southern Ontario during the first four weeks of September, gradually supplemented with northern birds through mid-October. I am still hearing geese coming off Superior, but at a much reduced rate now that the moon phase is waning.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Just my opinion, but increasing the daily limit on geese does not improve hunter success rates. I live in the Lake Erie Marsh Zone and for a long time our goose limit was ONE bird per day and they had to be checked into the station at Ottawa. It was not uncommon to shoot your lone goose on every trip provided the conditions were good. Fast forward to now, and with much more liberal limits and seasons, and the birds are far more difficult to hunt than in the past.

Increasing daily bags increasing hunter hours which increases pressure which decreases hunter success. Adding to this conundrum is that a lot of those "lake" or "park" geese rarely fly more than 1/4 mile every day to feed.

I sound like an old dude who wants you off my lawn, but the fact remains that in the late 90's and 2000's, we could shoot a couple hundred geese per year for our crew, and 99% of that was done in cut agricultural fields. Farming practices have changed, and so have the habits of the birds, as has the pressure on those birds.

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
I sound like an old dude who wants you off my lawn, but the fact remains that in the late 90's and 2000's, we could shoot a couple hundred geese per year for our crew, and 99% of that was done in cut agricultural fields. Farming practices have changed, and so have the habits of the birds, as has the pressure on those birds.
agree with a lot of what your saying. if you asked me in my early years, i probably woulda disagreed. with age comes knowledge. :)

and yes, farming practices have affected birds more than anything. when i was kid, chisel plow was a thing....now its all no-til which drastically changes how birds interact with fields.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
agree with a lot of what your saying. if you asked me in my early years, i probably woulda disagreed. with age comes knowledge. :)

and yes, farming practices have affected birds more than anything. when i was kid, chisel plow was a thing....now its all no-til which drastically changes how birds interact with fields.
What we notice is that most of the geese blow right through now, well before the corn is harvested. Seldom do birds remain in an area for weeks now. This year loggers are working around three remote roost lakes north of where I generally have permission fields, which has markedly altered their roosting patterns., shifting birds over to large beaver flowages on the river courses.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Appreciate the discussion/explanations around the different flocks etc. Interesting stuff for those of us that are newer.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Appreciate the discussion/explanations around the different flocks etc. Interesting stuff for those of us that are newer.
One of the additional impacts on Canada populations around southern James Bay I have't seen anythng on in years is the adverse impacts of snowsvia their feeding habits which damage tundra landscapes...

·
Registered
11,909 Posts
One of the additional impacts on Canada populations around southern James Bay I have't seen anythng on in years is the adverse impacts of snowsvia their feeding habits which damage tundra landscapes...
i've read small quips bout this here and there and they are finding the tundra isn't be devastated as much as they estimated years ago when the freakout over volumes of snows that needed culling...basically population has been remaining steady....not growing and not shrinking. even with liberal hunting limits.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts