Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking to purchase a small piece of land; most likely ~5 acres. Mid-to-lower LP (looking both East and West side of the LP). Hoping for it to be close to state or federal land with other private land nearby as well.

With that said, does anyone currently own/manage a small piece of whitetail hunting property like this? I'd be looking to possibly add a small food plot or two and improve the land (e.g. hinge cutting, bedding area creation/enhancement, etc.) with the hopes of holding and having deer around the immediate area.

Also, I'd like to periodically camp there with the family during summer months. I'd assume that wouldn't spook the deer too much come Fall?

Basically, I'm trying to understand if having a camp of only 5 acres if feasible.

Appreciate any insight that can be provided.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking to purchase a small piece of land; most likely ~5 acres. Mid-to-lower LP (looking both East and West side of the LP). Hoping for it to be close to state or federal land with other private land nearby as well.

With that said, does anyone currently own/manage a small piece of whitetail hunting property like this? I'd be looking to possibly add a small food plot or two and improve the land (e.g. hinge cutting, bedding area creation/enhancement, etc.) with the hopes of holding and having deer around the immediate area.

Also, I'd like to periodically camp there with the family during summer months. I'd assume that wouldn't spook the deer too much come Fall?

Basically, I'm trying to understand if having a camp of only 5 acres if feasible.

Thanks.
VERY FEASIBLE ! My friend has 4 acres with a cabin on it, he also has a lease and state land near by. He only hunts the 4acres a few times a year but has taken some nice bucks. 2 acres for the family and 3acres of hinge cut jungle sounds good to me !!! Don't worry about spooking the deer in the summer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
VERY FEASIBLE ! My friend has 4 acres with a cabin on it, he also has a lease and state land near by. He only hunts the 4acres a few times a year but has taken some nice bucks. 2 acres for the family and 3acres of hinge cut jungle sounds good to me !!! Don't worry about spooking the deer in the summer.

Good to hear. Appreciate the feedback, Floyd!

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
I lived on a 4 acre parcel once that was nestled into some farm country and bordered on one side by a residential area. I planted lots of trees/pines and added a small clover patch. It turned into a very productive piece of hunting ground and I tagged several bucks there.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Any hunting property is all about location. Since it really isn't feasible to hold deer on a 5 acre property, at least not consistently, I would look for a pass through property. Preferably located either a) next to a no hunting sanctuary or at the least b) next to a large parcel that is extremely difficult to hunt. Give them some reasons to visit your 5 acres in the right location and it can be better than 100 in the wrong location.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Yep location is everything. Better to just have them passing through a small parcel that way you will disturb them very little as you come and go

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
In my experience with a 10 acre parcel, it only takes one slob to leave candy wrappers, cigarette butts and pop cans behind while not practicing any scent control to ruin the property. Luckily we have a few hundred acres of federal land next door. 5 acres is fine once you understand where the deer move through.

·
Banned
31 Posts
i would look in farm area, find a cool little property with some mature apple trees. lots of dudes out there getting some nice deer off of smaller properties. get that property so thick that a deer couldnt see 10 yards.

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Location location location. As hunterep says, look for a pass through. If you have neighbors who aggressively hunt, the chances for quality hunting are low on a property that small. On the other hand, if the surrounding area is lightly hunted, and your property has features that are part of a travel corridor extending onto neighboring properties, you can have fantastic hunting.

But it is probably counter-productive to manage it as you would a larger property. In other words, you can't provide bedding, food and travel zones on a five acre property and still get between bedding and food without spooking deer. So among the three types of features, a travel zone is by far the best choice over bedding or food, and that is what I would be looking for. I would also consider putting small amounts of transitional food in tiny plots, but would not want to have deer bedded on such a small property as it greatly impacts your ability to access the property.

·
Registered
18,931 Posts
A former co worker bought a couple acres to build on, not because he sought a hunting spot..
It was a pass through zone and his hunting/sightings were impressive with no deliberate changes made of habitat.
By his staying off the travel route the deer kept on passing through from feed to bed, bed to feed.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Yep location is everything. Better to just have them passing through a small parcel that way you will disturb them very little as you come and go
I hunt a 5 acre parcel on the Oakland Genessee border. And to narrow it down I specifically hunt over a 1/4 acre plot in the back corner. Over the last five years we have killed 6 does and 6 bucks. 3 years ago we decided to be a bit more selective about the Bucks we took and last year my son shot the biggest we've taken there. 120" 8 pointer.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic feedback, guys. Really appreciate it and it makes me more confident that I can make this work. Checked out said property today (6 acre parcel). Surrounded by ag. fields (Corn and Blueberries) with some timber mixed in. Has a nice little stream that runs through it and it's real swampy/marshy. Saw a few nice rubs from previous seasons. Looks like it's already a pass-through area; didn't notice much bedding. Hope to put in an offer soon!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
GoingE="Nice Shot 1982, post: 5582075, member: 88707"]Looking to purchase a small piece of land; most likely ~5 acres. Mid-to-lower LP (looking both East and West side of the LP). Hoping for it to be close to state or federal land with other private land nearby as well.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is feasible and no it won't hurt camping there as long as the camping stops before velvet shed.The bottom line is that the smaller the property the more aggressive one needs to be on habitat manipulation to stand out against the neighboring competition. Depending on where you have planned access I wouldnt be opposed of hinging down a good acre of it for bedding.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have 10a similar to this. I have done huge habitat improvement but i do not want deer to bed on my land. I have a think swamp that is next to my land.. the deer bed in that naturally. I supply thick cover passage ways and premium food year round.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The bedding creation idea scares me. I'd be worried that I'd spook them when I head to my stands, but maybe if I identify strategic stand access points it could work.

Red Wolf and others: the food source is one point that I am not sure of. Would food sources be a good idea, as I'm surrounded on all sides by mostly blue berries and corn? Perhaps some food that they can enjoy during fall/early winter?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Fantastic feedback, guys. Really appreciate it and it makes me more confident that I can make this work.
It's already been said in some of the posts made, but to a degree a small property is rolling the dice. There is no way to insure it always turns out great because neighbors can have a huge influence in how the deer use your property. Maybe they don't hunt the property lines now, but nothing is guaranteed to stay the same beyond your borders.

·
Banned
31 Posts
in a perfect situation a pass through property would be great, but all it takes is one neighbor to screw it up and now you have a deer pass through at night only property. i would still make the back of property super thick, a few little food plots, and plant crabapple trees. the greatest thing about owning property is that there are no rulez, do some research, come up with an idea and go for it :)

·
Registered
36,016 Posts
Neighbors are very important.

The first thing I would try to establish is an agreement with the neighbors to recover downed deer that run off a small parcel.

Make sure whatever you buy doesn't have the chance of the neighbor building a dwelling of any sort. The 450ft safety zone could make the entire property unhuntable without written permission from your neighbor. A safety zone around an occupied building is a bit more than 14-1/2 acres.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Neighbors on 5 or 500 same differance.. most small land owners suronded by small land owners know the property lines very good.. most are confined to a single spot or 2.. most hunting is done by 1 or 2 people. this is not the case with larger land.. i have leased 770a and leased as small as 5. I have owned a 25 in nelp 47 in central nlp. 40 in clare and 10 just north of clare.. i will take the right 10 and under any day of the week.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts