Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Wow, I burned through 5000 rounds last summer, 3 Rifles,3 different calibers
But there is no need what so ever to shoot the expensive hunting ammo to practice. In reality, since range work is for developing muscle memory, there is no need to even shoot the expensive hunting rifle. Shooting a .22 or a good air rifle would do the job.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
But there is no need what so ever to shoot the expensive hunting ammo to practice. In reality, since range work is for developing muscle memory, there is no need to even shoot the expensive hunting rifle. Shooting a .22 or a good air rifle would do the job.
I can dig it on the ammo, I reload all mine so I can get exactly what I’m looking for, but the rifle is the rifle for me, I do a lot of long range and 22 & air ain’t gonna cut it. For me anyway, though I get what your saying when it comes to most.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
I can dig it on the ammo, I reload all mine so I can get exactly what I’m looking for, but the rifle is the rifle for me, I do a lot of long range and 22 & air ain’t gonna cut it. For me anyway, though I get what your saying when it comes to most.
I am speaking solely about the basic of rifle shooting, both the physical and mental aspects. I get the fun part!

· Registered
182 Posts
Buck in picture went 250 yards… very sparse blood trail. Almost backed out thinking I made a bad shot. That’s the exit, entrance about 2 inches higher.

Double lunged a buck quote a few years back with a 12g partition gold than ran 200 yards and only stopped because he crashed into some brush in a fence row.

I’d say my average dbl lung distance is just over 100 with a bow, probably 50-60 with a gun, coming from 70ish deer killed
Organism Fawn Terrestrial animal Tail Trunk

· Registered
145 Posts
I've only shot 3 deer with Hornady Black 450... but so far, nothing but favorable results. Very accurate and no deer made ‘er past 50 yards or so. Interestingly, the entry holes were almost non-existent, even difficult to find on two of the deer, but the exit was massive on all of them, and the blood trails were fantastic. So, results vary I guess.
My experience exactly. Blood trail? More like blood bath.

· Registered
2,466 Posts
Buck in picture went 250 yards… very sparse blood trail. Almost backed out thinking I made a bad shot. That’s the exit, entrance about 2 inches higher.

Double lunged a buck quote a few years back with a 12g partition gold than ran 200 yards and only stopped because he crashed into some brush in a fence row.

I’d say my average dbl lung distance is just over 100 with a bow, probably 50-60 with a gun, coming from 70ish deer killed
View attachment 869874
You need better broadheads if they are averaging 100 with a double lung shot.

Not sure how you can have a poor bloadtrail with a lung shot at that location. I usually find a 4' wide blood trail (bow or gun), because the lungs are pumping all the blood out the holes and through the nose.

· Registered
182 Posts
You need better broadheads if they are averaging 100 with a double lung shot.

Not sure how you can have a poor bloadtrail with a lung shot at that location. I usually find a 4' wide blood trail (bow or gun), because the lungs are pumping all the blood out the holes and through the nose.
That particular one had a 2” behind the shoulder, 2” through both lungs, then a 2” hole on the exit… I can’t explain why that one didn’t bleed. I’ve shot wasps, muzzys, thunderheads, strikers, grim reapers, rages, sevrs… 30 years a lotta broadheads.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I'm calling BS on a deer traveling over 200 yds that has a hole in both lungs. I have yet to have one go more than 60 yds and that's using a bow, 450 (Hornady Black) or 20 gauge sabot.
You call me a liar all you want. The tracker on my OnX showed 242 yds last night. Hole through the middle of both lungs.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
That particular one had a 2” behind the shoulder, 2” through both lungs, then a 2” hole on the exit… I can’t explain why that one didn’t bleed. I’ve shot wasps, muzzys, thunderheads, strikers, grim reapers, rages, sevrs… 30 years a lotta broadheads.
Really liked those thunderheads!

· Registered
721 Posts
Ok guys and gals, I know this has been talked about a lot but I am looking for a different load for my wife's 450. She has been using Hornady Black which is definitely accurate and we have found every deer she has poked a hole in BUT.......I am not happy with the with the lack of blood trails and the fact that the last few deer have run well over 200 yards when double lunged. Other people i have spoken with about this have been seeing these same results. So, I am looking for a different ammo for her........opinions????
I just shot my buck with the hornady customs & was very happy with results. Mind you it was a 25 yards shot

· Registered
2,618 Posts
I'm calling BS on a deer traveling over 200 yds that has a hole in both lungs. I have yet to have one go more than 60 yds and that's using a bow, 450 (Hornady Black) or 20 gauge sabot.

nothing unusual here….there’s threads like this here since the rifles came out. A well placed arrow is way better than any 450 or 350 round. Mature bucks tend to make it a little further than a yearling as well. So when comparing that matters imo

· Registered
5,498 Posts
If anyone is looking i have 2 boxes of Winchester deer season 450 250 grains that i'm getting rid of my CVA doesn't like them shoots about 7-8" different then my hornadys ! Adrian area

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
I've found that I don't get much of a blood trail when I shoot a deer with a gun regardless of caliber in available in southern Michigan. Best bet is a double lung and the deer should start blowing blood out of its mouth and nose within a reasonable distance after impact. 200yds is a good distance for a deer to cover that's been hit in the vitals with that round though. Have you been able to recover the bullet on the deer killed with that specific bullet? I wonder if it's lacking expansion and not dumping enough of its energy into the deer.
I wish i could have recovered the bullet. I really want to see what that bullet looks like after going through both lungs. I am quite confident that if these deer were hit in the shoulder the track job would be much shorter but then there is the issue of meat loss which is why I ask her to double lung them.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts