Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 40 of 91 Posts

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I'm calling BS on a deer traveling over 200 yds that has a hole in both lungs. I have yet to have one go more than 60 yds and that's using a bow, 450 (Hornady Black) or 20 gauge sabot.
I once got a 7 point on the way to.my old tree stand - with a 300 grain 50 caliber Hornady SST 12 gauge sabot.

It took off into our cornfield.

I easily tracked it - as it was like a slasher movie - blood everywhere.

The last 75 yards or so - it ran straight down a row of corn - knocking it down...

This guy ran well over 200 yards.

When I gutted him - the lungs were jelly, the upper half of the heart had about a 3/4 inch hole through it and the exit hole about an inch in diameter.

Blew my mind.

Only explaination - pure adrenaline.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Bear Creek Ballistics. They fly flater than most ( 5"higher than hornady blacks at 100yds) and the bullet retention is second to none.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Bullets do not fly.

They drop.

That rate is dependant on two factors - velocity and bullet coefficient (how quickly it slows down from atmospheric resistance).

· Registered
3,772 Posts
Bear Creek Ballistics. They fly flater than most ( 5"higher than hornady blacks at 100yds) and the bullet retention is second to none.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
x2, great results. They are pricey though.

Bullets do not fly.

They drop.

That rate is dependant on two factors - velocity and bullet coefficient (how quickly it slows down from atmospheric resistance).
Bear Creek drop rate is better than most. lol

2550 fps, 240 gr, high BC

· Registered
1,854 Posts
x2, great results. They are pricey though.

Bear Creek drop rate is better than most. lol

2550 fps, 240 gr, high BC
Pricy does not matter that much. How many do you intend to shoot in a deer season? 2-5 MAYBE? Practice with less expensive stuff once sited in. You can even do most of your range work with a .22 since the main purpose of range work is build muscle memory.

· Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
3,851 Posts
Pricy does not matter that much. How many do you intend to shoot in a deer season? 2-5 MAYBE? Practice with less expensive stuff once sited in. You can even do most of your range work with a .22 since the main purpose of range work is build muscle memory.
I have a couple Rifles I run 3000/4000 rounds through a year.

· Registered
5,498 Posts
I borrowed one of the guns and shot a spike last week in the neck dropped right there and lot of blood as well.
Yep so accurate that's only place we shoot them anymore for the last 3 yrs . I know of at least 15 deer shot this way and NONE took 1 step! Up to 5 this yr so far!

· Registered
5,652 Posts
I don't like those ballistic polymer tip bullets for the exact reason you state. I don't shoot the .450 bushmaster, but these caught my interest:

Here's a guy who tested it in .45-70:

Here's loaded ammo:

· Registered
4,448 Posts
I'm calling BS on a deer traveling over 200 yds that has a hole in both lungs. I have yet to have one go more than 60 yds and that's using a bow, 450 (Hornady Black) or 20 gauge sabot.
They're tough critters. Once shot a buck with a 250 grain nosler partition out of a .338 Win Mag, hit the back of both shoulder blades and double lunged it. Deer ran over 200 yards. That was the only crazy distance that I can remember out of well over 100 deer but it can happen.

· Registered
3,772 Posts
Fair enough. Just hope what I have lasts a long time.
Good idea to practice w less expensive rounds.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts