Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and gals, I know this has been talked about a lot but I am looking for a different load for my wife's 450. She has been using Hornady Black which is definitely accurate and we have found every deer she has poked a hole in BUT.......I am not happy with the with the lack of blood trails and the fact that the last few deer have run well over 200 yards when double lunged. Other people i have spoken with about this have been seeing these same results. So, I am looking for a different ammo for her........opinions????

· Registered
3,804 Posts
I switched to barnes. Shot a doe at 27 yards, exit hole was so.big, her insides started to come out. I was happy with results

· Premium Member
2,728 Posts
I've found that I don't get much of a blood trail when I shoot a deer with a gun regardless of caliber in available in southern Michigan. Best bet is a double lung and the deer should start blowing blood out of its mouth and nose within a reasonable distance after impact. 200yds is a good distance for a deer to cover that's been hit in the vitals with that round though. Have you been able to recover the bullet on the deer killed with that specific bullet? I wonder if it's lacking expansion and not dumping enough of its energy into the deer.

· Registered
1,148 Posts
I've only shot 3 deer with Hornady Black 450... but so far, nothing but favorable results. Very accurate and no deer made ‘er past 50 yards or so. Interestingly, the entry holes were almost non-existent, even difficult to find on two of the deer, but the exit was massive on all of them, and the blood trails were fantastic. So, results vary I guess.

· Registered
9,123 Posts
We've shot deer with American Whitetails and FTX behind the shoulder and all have dropped in their tracks.
The FTX shots never exited which is concerning. Had them processed so dont really know how much meat was wasted.
We'll stick with the American Whitetails or try Barnes, I hear great things about them.

· Registered
2,466 Posts
Ok guys and gals, I know this has been talked about a lot but I am looking for a different load for my wife's 450. She has been using Hornady Black which is definitely accurate and we have found every deer she has poked a hole in BUT.......I am not happy with the with the lack of blood trails and the fact that the last few deer have run well over 200 yards when double lunged. Other people i have spoken with about this have been seeing these same results. So, I am looking for a different ammo for her........opinions????
I'm calling BS on a deer traveling over 200 yds that has a hole in both lungs. I have yet to have one go more than 60 yds and that's using a bow, 450 (Hornady Black) or 20 gauge sabot.

· Registered
2,186 Posts
I've tried a few different loads in my .450 with the same results. Deer bounds off like I missed it, runs 40-60 yards and is dead as a doornail. I had the same deal with my muzzleloaders. I'm a double lunger, not a shoulder shooter, so that matters somewhat.

I'll give those Barnes a try.

· Registered
18 Posts

Is it high double lung? 200 seems far.

· Registered
3,783 Posts
I've shot around 10 deer with the Custom FTX the last couple years and everyone has been devastating. All have blown through and left softball sized exit holes. It's crazy to hear stories like this, I was almost considering using a different bullet to reduce meat loss because of the carnage on the exit sides. They've all looked about like this, gushing blood on the exit and dead within 50 yards.
Fawn Grass Beak Asphalt Road surface

(Old broadhead wound on the back which is customary for the deer I shoot)

· Registered
1,287 Posts
I have used federal 300 grain JHP points for the last five years and have never had an issue. I am switching to the Barnes 250 grain all copper bullets since I just used up the last of my federal ammo and cannot seem to find replacements. I have used the Barnes bullets in my muzzle loader with tremendous results, so I am not concerned about the performance.

I have seen a ton of guys say they have had issues with Hornady on FB/MS forums, but everyone I know that uses them doesn't have issues.

· Registered
3,160 Posts
The FTX shots never exited which is concerning
I am of the group that believes this is exactly what you want , that bullet delivered all of its energy to the inside of the deer . I’ve recovered bullets from many deer from shotgun to my 270 all were dead deer within eyesite

· Registered
1,325 Posts
It's been said already but here is a pic you can search.

I've seen several deer go over 200 that are double lunged. Amazingly tough animal and they cover ground quickly. 200 yards is nothing for them.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Bumper Packing materials

1 - 20 of 91 Posts