Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled this Hornady 250 ftx bullet from a buck my son shot on the opener. Have had fragmentation problems with the Hornady,however they are accurate.Will be making a move to Black Butterfly 275 grain XPB ammunition in the off season. The cup core design certainly has its flaws, although the buck piled up within 30 yards. Interestingly, no blood whatsoever from shot location to death location.
20191117_123734.jpg

·
Registered
35,254 Posts
That’s not very good bullet performance but obviously the energy was high enough to cause sudden death. Bone or no bone?

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Doghouse 5

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s not very good bullet performance but obviously the energy was high enough to cause sudden death. Bone or no bone?

Thanks for sharing.
Entered just behind last rib on right side and lodged into front shoulder on left side hitting one rib near shoulder . Both pieces fell out when I cut the shoulder off to debone .

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
FB0DCDFE-8863-4E23-9B49-484ACD2B2C11.jpeg
792C2AD5-BE00-41C1-AE63-574E54E8181A.jpeg
225 grain behind 37.9 lil gun. 60 yard shot broadside hit back of the lungs.

Reactions: Whitetail1

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
although the buck piled up within 30 yards. Interestingly, no blood whatsoever from shot location to death location. View attachment 459209
Same ammo, essentially verbatim to what happened on both bucks I have shot with this ammo. One went 30 yards, one 40 yards, no blood trail at all nor a drop of blood even where they died. Snow covered fields in both instances which should have made any blood easily stand out. I'm trying out several different loads in the off season including Black Butterfly and Buffalo Bore among others.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don’t have any photos to show but, but I have never had a issue with the Hornady’s. I’ve taken 12 deer with my 450 everyone has been a complete pass thru and good blood trails. I’ve taken neck, shoulder, and behind the shoulder shots from 25 yards out to 150. I have been interested in trying different loads just to see what kind of accuracy I can get from different rounds.

·
Registered
688 Posts
2017 - Ruger .450 BM with Hornady FTX Black 250 gr. 90 Yard shot broadside, spine shot dropped in tracks, no pass thru and poor expansion.

2018 - Ruger .450 BM with Hornady FTX Black 250 gr. 50 Yard shot quartering away, pass thru one lung and heart, ran 200+ yards and bedded down 4 times minimal blood, complete pass thru and absolutely no expansion. Only reason I found this deer was due to snow cover giving ability to track.

2019 - Ruger .450 BM with Hornady FTX Black 250 gr. 18 Yard shot broadside, pass thru one two lungs, ran 225+ yards, complete pass thru and absolutely no expansion although decent blood trail.

Accuracy is great, but bullet performance not happy with. Will be finding a new round this off season.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
2017 - Ruger .450 BM with Hornady FTX Black 250 gr. 90 Yard shot broadside, spine shot dropped in tracks, no pass thru and poor expansion.

2018 - Ruger .450 BM with Hornady FTX Black 250 gr. 50 Yard shot quartering away, pass thru one lung and heart, ran 200+ yards and bedded down 4 times minimal blood, complete pass thru and absolutely no expansion. Only reason I found this deer was due to snow cover giving ability to track.

2019 - Ruger .450 BM with Hornady FTX Black 250 gr. 18 Yard shot broadside, pass thru one two lungs, ran 225+ yards, complete pass thru and absolutely no expansion although decent blood trail.

Accuracy is great, but bullet performance not happy with. Will be finding a new round this off season.
Good idea!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Hornady Black FTX 250. 125 yard shot quartering to. Bullet destroyed the spine and right shoulder blade so I wasn’t expecting a pretty mushroom. Here’s what’s left of it...
118C58A0-EF79-4A87-AF92-061EC08A2A61.jpeg

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Hard to judge the performance of a bullet on a bad shot! You hit a lot of dense bone.

Not buying this story 1 bit. A deer hit in the heart and lung is not going to go 200+ yards and and bed 4 times. Every deer I have shot in the heart was on a short death run. Sounds like you hit 1 lung and the liver.

Not buying this story either. Did you hit 1 or 2 lungs, because I find it hard to believe that it went 225+ yds after a double lung shot. I personally have never had a deer make it past 75 yds after a double lung shot using either my Ruger 450, H&R 20 gauge slug gun, or compound bow and never had 1 make it past 50 yds using the Hornady FTX. You could put a fist through the exit hole in the doe I shot last year at 20 yds. I immediately saw blood shoot out after the shot and watched it drop dead at 35 yds. The blood trail was 4' wide.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hard to judge the performance of a bullet on a bad shot! You hit a lot of dense bone.

Not buying this story 1 bit. A deer hit in the heart and lung is not going to go 200+ yards and and bed 4 times. Every deer I have shot in the heart was on a short death run. Sounds like you hit 1 lung and the liver.

Not buying this story either. Did you hit 1 or 2 lungs, because I find it hard to believe that it went 225+ yds after a double lung shot. I personally have never had a deer make it past 75 yds after a double lung shot using either my Ruger 450, H&R 20 gauge slug gun, or compound bow and never had 1 make it past 50 yds using the Hornady FTX. You could put a fist through the exit hole in the doe I shot last year at 20 yds. I immediately saw blood shoot out after the shot and watched it drop dead at 35 yds. The blood trail was 4' wide.
I am not selling anything to you so no reason to buy. I am telling my personal experiences. That would be like me telling you the doe you shot last year only had a 2' wide blood trail rather than the 4' you described.

2017 - One thing we can agree on, the spine shot was not my intention. I am very well-versed with my rifles and felt confident with the 100 yard +/- off-hand shot. The shot was about 4" high from my target point, but that can happen in the hunting woods and off-hand shot. I still would have expected a pass thru given my experience with other cartridges I have used hitting dense bone (pass thru front shoulders). [No pic of hole on this deer]

LP2.JPG

2018 - this deer went all of 200 yards. When I say "bed", I should say fell over and struggle to get up long enough to melt some of the snow, maybe not technically "bed". I am glad the deer you have shot in the heart went on the death run. I have experienced that as well. This one didn't. Upon cleaning it, there was a .45" hole directly through the entrance side lung and top ventricle / aorta of heart. No expansion. [Pic is how deer laid when I walked up on it after giving it 4 hours to expire, exit hole as quartering away. Entrance shot placed directly behind front shoulder blade].
LP1.JPG

2019 - sorry I wasn't a great "salesman" but I remember the story well, it was 5 days ago about 1:47 PM. All day sit in the UP and I changed to my archery stand as the bucks had been chasing in the nasty stuff. Buck came through seeking does at 18 yards. Completely broadside. Bullet placed exactly behind the front shoulder blade with absolutely no quartering. Upon cleaning found two lungs complete pass-thru. No expansion. When I say deer went 225 yards, that is being conservative. Second longest track I have ever had. [Pic one, blood trail for 1st 150+ yards. Pic two, deer as I walked up on it. Pic three, Exit hole .45" no expansion, blooding markings from running in tag alder's and spreading it.]

UP1.JPG

UP2.JPG

UP3.PNG

2017 deer was very large, no weight.

2018 deer won local buck pole and was weighed on a certified scale at 197 dressed.

2019 deer went 188 on a Cabela's big game scale.

Despite you selling me your personal experiences, I will still be looking for a different round for my .450 in the off-season. Fortunately all three circumstances ended in dead deer. I still would like better performance out of my round of choice.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You guys recover bullets regularly?? I shoot a 6.5x55 and have never, ever had a bullet stop inside, even on bone and full-length shots. I’m not using expensive bullets, either. Either bulk 120/140 Remington PSP’s or Hornady Interlocks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys recover bullets regularly?? I shoot a 6.5x55 and have never, ever had a bullet stop inside, even on bone and full-length shots. I’m not using expensive bullets, either. Either bulk 120/140 Remington PSP’s or Hornady Interlocks.
The original post is in reference to .450 bullet performance.

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
The issue is cost and accuracy with other rounds. I refuse to spend $60/box of 20...period...full stop. It seems that any other brand/round around the $25-30 mark just can't deliver the accuracy that Hornady Black/Custom FTX.

Has anyone tried the Precision One XTP hollow points? Still a Hornady bullet...At $24/box, not looking bad.

https://www.outdoorlimited.com/rifl...unition-240-grain-xtp-hollow-point-20-rounds/

1 - 20 of 105 Posts