Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been out of the Whitetail hunting arena for a few years, but this year I'd like to start again. Last I hunted, I was using a TC Encore muzzle loader. It shot ok, but honestly, I've never found it to be impressively reliable (regarding how it would shoot). Sometimes I'd get an amazing group out of it, and then come back days or weeks later to wonder how that had even been possible. That said, I am ready to make a switch to the updated regulation cartridge rifles. I hope to gain a great deal of consistency in firearm performance.

I have started poking about a bit at the available 450 BMs on the market, and haven't found exactly what I was looking for, or at least had hoped to find. I did come across one gun that kind of stood out, and that was a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 450. I've never owned a Ruger No. 1 before, and am reading a lot of mixed reviews regarding their accuracy. The gun felt like better quality than the majority of the other 450s I handled. But it is considerably more pricey than I imagined I'd need to spend. If anyone has real world input on the Ruger No. 1 (especially current production models) and particularly the 450 BM model, I would greatly appreciate to hear your observations.

The flip side I have been kicking around is the idea of rebuilding a Savage 10 .308 I have into a .45 Raptor (not dead set against the .450, but it looks to have an edge). I handled the Savage 450 Wolverine, and is seems decent, but for the money they are asking, I didn't feel like to quality of build was a match (seems like it should be closer to a $550 - $600 gun). There is considerably less information available on the .45 chambering, so I am looking for any input there as well. I am a reloader, so I don't anticipate shooting factory loaded ammunition.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my ramblings. I look forward to reading what everyone has to input!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up a stainless laminate #1 when they first came out. This is her pet 275gr Barnes load at 110yds.

View attachment 419233
Nice shooting that'll get the job done for sure! I'm glad to see the No. 1 shoots that well. It sure is a smooth feeling gun.

I like Barnes bullets for deer. I used to use Hornady XTPs in my muzzleloader, while they provided the best accuracy I found, they didn't perform reliably enough on the deer. Barnes was a clear winner on game performance.

Sent from my PH-1 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a 22" Satern barreled Savage in 45 Raptor that shoots the 200gr Barnes a bit better.

Both guns have shot everything pretty good, just stayed with the Barnes for hunting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
This conversation really depends on your goals.
What are your accuracy expectations?
The 45 raptor has an edge in velocity over the 450. But it makes no difference in terminal ballistics until after 200 yards.
The 45 raptor is a 62K psi round vs. 38.5K for the 450. People with bolt guns are loading the 450 hotter, but that's at their own risk
I'd be more inclined to order an aftermarket barrel vs a factory gun. I believe 90% of a guns accuracy is in the barrel.
Just like AIR, I have a 45 raptor with a satern barrel and it shoots. But I handload for it. Mine is built on the savage action and couldn't be easier to do.
The 450 has the advantage in the "Easy" column and the raptor wins the speed category.
FWIW...I shot a smokeless encore for years. Killed a bunch of deer with it. It only gets used during the muzzleloader season nowadays.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
For a handloader, there is virtually no difference in performance between the 2. The limiting factor of the Bushmaster is the AR platform. Put it in a single shot or bolt action, and it is a whole different cartridge capability. Case capacity is essentially identical, with the Bushmaster actually very slightly larger.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ken, the Raptor case actually has 3gr more capacity than the 450, but as you mentioned, sorta a mute point, seeing the freebore on the 450 makes up the capacity difference.

I haven't shot any 200gr Barnes from my 700 450B, but they are a bit over 2900fps in the Raptor.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ken, the Raptor case actually has 3gr more capacity than the 450, but as you mentioned, sorta a mute point, seeing the freebore on the 450 makes up the capacity difference.

I haven't shot any 200gr Barnes from my 700 450B, but they are a bit over 2900fps in the Raptor.
How is the drop on those 200 gr bullets? 2900 fps is cooking along pretty good.

Sent from my PH-1 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have been out of the Whitetail hunting arena for a few years, but this year I'd like to start again. Last I hunted, I was using a TC Encore muzzle loader. It shot ok, but honestly, I've never found it to be impressively reliable (regarding how it would shoot). Sometimes I'd get an amazing group out of it, and then come back days or weeks later to wonder how that had even been possible. That said, I am ready to make a switch to the updated regulation cartridge rifles. I hope to gain a great deal of consistency in firearm performance.

I have started poking about a bit at the available 450 BMs on the market, and haven't found exactly what I was looking for, or at least had hoped to find. I did come across one gun that kind of stood out, and that was a Ruger No. 1 chambered in 450. I've never owned a Ruger No. 1 before, and am reading a lot of mixed reviews regarding their accuracy. The gun felt like better quality than the majority of the other 450s I handled. But it is considerably more pricey than I imagined I'd need to spend. If anyone has real world input on the Ruger No. 1 (especially current production models) and particularly the 450 BM model, I would greatly appreciate to hear your observations.

The flip side I have been kicking around is the idea of rebuilding a Savage 10 .308 I have into a .45 Raptor (not dead set against the .450, but it looks to have an edge). I handled the Savage 450 Wolverine, and is seems decent, but for the money they are asking, I didn't feel like to quality of build was a match (seems like it should be closer to a $550 - $600 gun). There is considerably less information available on the .45 chambering, so I am looking for any input there as well. I am a reloader, so I don't anticipate shooting factory loaded ammunition.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my ramblings. I look forward to reading what everyone has to input!!
I have a Savage 10T that was converted from 308 to 450BM, having it fitted with a 21” Green Mountain barrel. The conversion is very easy with the simple barrel swap and slight modifications to the ramp and magazine. It is my most accurate rifle, with better accuracy than my Weatherby Mark V rifles. The gun is fairly heavy with the Accustock, so the recoil is very light without a muzzle brake. I routinely shoot 1.75 to 2.25 inch groups at 200 yards. The Hornady factory loads are shooting the tighter groups, and my 275XPB handloads are the 2.25 inch groups.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a Savage 10T that was converted from 308 to 450BM, having it fitted with a 21” Green Mountain barrel. The conversion is very easy with the simple barrel swap and slight modifications to the ramp and magazine. It is my most accurate rifle, with better accuracy than my Weatherby Mark V rifles. The gun is fairly heavy with the Accustock, so the recoil is very light without a muzzle brake. I routinely shoot 1.75 to 2.25 inch groups at 200 yards. The Hornady factory loads are shooting the tighter groups, and my 275XPB handloads are the 2.25 inch groups.
Did you have to call Green Mountain to order the barrel? I didn't see Savage barrels listed on their website (or maybe I overlooked it). How long did it take to get from them?

Good to hear that it shoots well for you!

I just haven't decided if I want to give up my only .308 to build with... I haven't handled one in person, but I was thinking of maybe going with a Boyds At One stock.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Did you have to call Green Mountain to order the barrel? I didn't see Savage barrels listed on their website (or maybe I overlooked it). How long did it take to get from them?

Good to hear that it shoots well for you!

I just haven't decided if I want to give up my only .308 to build with... I haven't handled one in person, but I was thinking of maybe going with a Boyds At One stock.
Actually, the barrel blank was from Green Mountain, but it was chambered by Apache Gun Works. There is also Bison Gun Works who do the same thing (the guys who run these companies are related).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What kind of stock options are available (preferably non-metallic/chassis style) for Savage SA, that come pre-inlet for the AICS detachable magazine style action? If available, I'd like a stock that comes with aluminum action blocks, or pillar bedding. I have 2 different Choate stocks and am not a huge fan of them (they feel kind of heavy and bulky for what they are).

If I'm going that route, I'd like to try to find something that is in the $200-500 range...

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
What kind of stock options are available (preferably non-metallic/chassis style) for Savage SA, that come pre-inlet for the AICS detachable magazine style action? If available, I'd like a stock that comes with aluminum action blocks, or pillar bedding. I have 2 different Choate stocks and am not a huge fan of them (they feel kind of heavy and bulky for what they are).

If I'm going that route, I'd like to try to find something that is in the $200-500 range...
I would look at the Boyds AT1 stock.

·
Registered
428 Posts

I am nor sure about compatibility with Aics magazine, but the Savage Acustock has the aluminum bedding. You can find them frequently on Ebay for short actions. My Savage 10T that I converted came with the Acustock.

·
Registered
226 Posts
PTG has AICS bottom metal for a Savage if you want to go the AICS route. I'm running the Savage Accustock like Loman with zero issues. The 10rd Savage mags will hold 7 Raptor round, haven't tried a regular flush fit Savage mag, but guessing it will hold 3rds.

·
Registered
428 Posts
PTG has AICS bottom metal for a Savage if you want to go the AICS route. I'm running the Savage Accustock like Loman with zero issues. The 10rd Savage mags will hold 7 Raptor round, haven't tried a regular flush fit Savage mag, but guessing it will hold 3rds.
I have the flush fit magazine. It is center feed and it holds 3 shells. I made tweaks to it, and to the ramp, when I converted the rifle, and it performs flawlessly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the flush fit magazine. It is center feed and it holds 3 shells. I made tweaks to it, and to the ramp, when I converted the rifle, and it performs flawlessly.
What kind of tweaking did you end up needing to do to get the reliable feeding worked out?

·
Registered
428 Posts
What kind of tweaking did you end up needing to do to get the reliable feeding worked out?
I tapered and polished the ramp so that the more blunt bullets would not run into a flat wall. I also shifted the spring in the magazine forward, so that the cartridges would not nose dive in the magazine. A little trimming on the spring tab that engages the follower, and some hot glue to hold it in place did the trick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts