Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which sabot/bullets do you think is the best bang for the buck? looking for the one with the most devesating knock down power!what are your opinions?

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
i swiched too barnes this year and two does under my belt. nice bloodtrail on the doe i took last nite, she ran less then 100 yards and the exit hole was the size of a golf ball. i'm sold. i've shot powerbelts and hornady and i shoot a K1 knight and my smokepole shoots a tight group w/barnes, even at 200 yards, g/l

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thompson Center Maxi-Hunter. They pattern well, load easy, and kill deer. Not to mention their only about $12.99 for a box of 20.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
I just bought some Hornady .452 300 grain XTP bullets. They fit great in my Knight with Harvester 50cal sabots for the 45cal bullets. I'll try them next year on game. They are about $17 for 50 & $7 for 50 plastic sabots. Midway usually has everything.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
The Barnes muzzleloader bullets are heads and tales better than most everything else out there. They are not the cheapest available but if solid consistant performance is what you want, you won't find better. Another good one is the Hornady XTP mag in 300 grains. Reasonable cost and good on game. Real reasonable if you buy them bulk like Sourdough did

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you want to save money and shoot accurate, buy the bullets and sabots seperate. You can get a box of hornady xtp 250 gr .452 45 cal bullets for under 25 bucks for a hundred. Then buy the sabots bulk which are normally 18 bucks for a hundred. They shoot great and you end up paying less in the long run.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Walmart sells shockwaves for like 11 bucks for 15-250 gr. Only time these bullets let me down was bad shot by me. Shot 2 does with with them this year one at 130 yds and other at 150 yds. 130 dropped in her tracks. 150 went 25 yards. Have shot 9 deer with these bullets and the bad shot was the only one that went more than 45 yards. All have been complete pass throughs with nothing but mush left of the lungs with big holes on both sides of the deer. My cousin shot 3 does this year with same bullets and never had one go farther than 40 yds all over 130 yd shots.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
"Best bang for the buck" in terms of stretching a dollar I'd go with XTPs and bulk sabots as well. For "the best bang for the buck" in terms of all-out performance I'd recommend Barnes, hands down.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I have been very very impresses with the 45 hornady SSTs. So far i have taken game from 13 to 178 yards with flawless performance. I shoot the 200 grain SST out of my Disc Elite 45 overtop of 110 gr of loose T7.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts