Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the February 2023 Woods-n-Water that came out about a week ago.
Hunting patches are sometimes discussed here or members are searching for a certain year for their collection.
I bet someone here knows this hunter or the 2 in the father/son article.

Outerwear Newspaper Publication Sleeve Font

· Registered
13,857 Posts
Nice stories L&O.

I'm not sure if I have 40 years worth of patches but I probably would have if I had started collecting them sooner and then had my deer checked consistently in the early years. Sometimes I checked in my deer with the DNR and other years I didn't. We do have a fairly decent collection anyways....and of course, many of them are Elaine's - those from the smaller deer maybe - :LOL:

These are displayed in the "Situation Room" in the pole barn.
Building Wood House Interior design Cabinetry

We recently decided to just start placing one per year on the board as we would be running out of room if we continued to post 1 per deer...
Cabinetry Rectangle Wood Drawer Flooring

Some patches have been posted with the deer or bear mount which adds a little to the mount. I think I will add a patch to my son's Euro mount which I am mounting on a board this year - not quite done with it yet.
Picture frame Elk Vertebrate Natural material Organism

Wood Art Hardwood Linens Room

We purchased one on-line this year as I thought that they were only going to be selling them - not giving them free when you checked in your deer. Then we ended up getting 3 more for the deer we checked in at our local DNR Field Office. Could have saved $8. Not sure if they will still be given away next year or not?

· Registered
21,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Saw this post and had to reply, just because of the coincidence. I earned my 40th consecutive Michigan deer patch this fall, also. Running out of wall space, maybe room for one more. Guess I'll take up basket weaving after this season.

-NC
Move the furniture and get a pic of you with the display and send that and a brief description to Woods-n-Water.
Impressed that I'm not seeing any dust on that table.

L & O

· Premium Member
4,733 Posts
I stopped collecting them once they were offered for sale through the DNR. Not much collectibility IMO when you can just buy one, or as many as you want.

· Registered
1,607 Posts
Saw this post and had to reply, just because of the coincidence. I earned my 40th consecutive Michigan deer patch this fall, also. Running out of wall space, maybe room for one more. Guess I'll take up basket weaving after this season.

View attachment 880221

-NC
Some as I might same you have a small museum, very nice. I'll bet it brings a smile to ya whenever you stop and stare

· Registered
3,065 Posts
I started hunting in high school and never even knew about the successful hunter's patches until the early nineties. The first successful hunters patch I had received was in 1994 at Rose Lake from my first big buck I had shot with archery. Been getting them ever since. Years ago, I had purchased the few patches I hadn't gotten from 1984, first year hunting, through 1993 on EBAY. I don't think I ever paid more than $4 - $5 for them. The two that I never did get were 1985 and 1986 and I didn't get them because I didn't want to spend the $25-$30 they were going for then. Oh, how I wish I would have just done it then! Maybe someone reading this has an extra 1985 and 1986 patch laying around? Killed my first Turkey in 2000 and have gotten a patch every year since.
I've got them all on display in my barn. It's kind of cool when I'm in there putzin around and just start reflecting back through the years on all the different patch designs.
I had acquired patches for each of my three boys through the years. A successful deer hunter patch and Turkey patch and just kept them in my safe. Two Christmas's ago I had wrapped them each a gift box with their patches in it from all the patches I had collected for them for the last 20 years. They were all pretty excited about it.

Wall Font Symmetry Wood Event

Yellow Flag Wall Font Flag of the united states

Flag of the united states Flag Font Emblem Advertising

Property Picture frame Lighting Interior design Wood

A bit premature on the 2023 turkey patch, I hope I don't jinx myself ha ha.
Wood Font Symmetry Rectangle Hardwood

· Registered
13,857 Posts
I started hunting in high school and never even knew about the successful hunter's patches until the early nineties. The first successful hunters patch I had received was in 1994 at Rose Lake from my first big buck I had shot with archery. Been getting them ever since. Years ago, I had purchased the few patches I hadn't gotten from 1984, first year hunting, through 1993 on EBAY. I don't think I ever paid more than $4 - $5 for them. The two that I never did get were 1985 and 1986 and I didn't get them because I didn't want to spend the $25-$30 they were going for then. Oh, how I wish I would have just done it then! Maybe someone reading this has an extra 1985 and 1986 patch laying around? Killed my first Turkey in 2000 and have gotten a patch every year since.
I've got them all on display in my barn. It's kind of cool when I'm in there putzin around and just start reflecting back through the years on all the different patch designs.
I had acquired patches for each of my three boys through the years. A successful deer hunter patch and Turkey patch and just kept them in my safe. Two Christmas's ago I had wrapped them each a gift box with their patches in it from all the patches I had collected for them for the last 20 years. They were all pretty excited about it.

View attachment 880462

View attachment 880463

View attachment 880464

View attachment 880465

View attachment 880467
Wow! Your collection is definitely over the top BWHNTR! Absolutely the best display I've ever seen. Nice job.

· Registered
100 Posts

View attachment 880462

View attachment 880463

View attachment 880464

View attachment 880465

View attachment 880467
Nice, very nice!

· Registered
2,340 Posts
BWHUNTR—
Very nice presentation. Are you buying the patch display plaques or making them? Is there a void behind acrylic or routering a depression in the wood?

Reactions: BWHUNTR
1 - 20 of 22 Posts