Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
I was talking to the folks at the Mill Creek Sporting Goods place in Dexter yesterday trying to get info on Mill Lake, and for what it's worth, they told me people had been doing ok on 4 Mile, getting decent sized gills. I've never done well there. The only gills I've caught have all been dinks and the only decent size fish have all been rock bass...Lots of undersize pike too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Nothing I can confirm. The bait shop employees hadn't heard anything. There was another customer in there who chimed in and said that he saw 2 shanties out there, but beyond that, I don't know anything. I tried contacting the Waterloo Rec Area just to see if they knew anything about ice thickness, but the couple times I called I just got an answering machine. I'm probably heading out there this Friday. I have to imagine the ice is pretty good there by now since it is most other places in the county, and the few times I've been out there in the past my success rate has been decent for panfish.

Good luck to you. Would be interested in hearing a report on how you do tomorrow (and specifically ice conditions), if you get a chance to post.

~Rich

·
Registered
139 Posts
since we are talking about lakes in the chelsea area, has anyone ever ice fished Green lake?? Is it spring fed? if so where are the springs? i have been out there in the summer and did really well on the gills, crappie, and perch, and i would like to do some ice fishing out there. If anyone has some information please let me know.
Thanks
Codes

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi there four mile lake has about 6" of good ice we were out there yesterday on our 1000# golf cart all the way to the other side. Didnt cacth a lot though a few gills and a couple crappie and pike. i have an aqua view and there is the biggest blue gill i have ever seen down there.and a lot of them. but they wouldnt bite a thing. we have never been skunked on four mile there is always some kinda of fish to catch good luck and be safe;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
crappiehunter, Were you able to get tha golf cart through the channel to the back pit? I've always done well there. That blue gill you saw was one of my pet doughnut eating fish. All those gills know my boat and come runnin during duck season:D

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I ended up going to Mud lk instead of Mill. Not a flag on my tipups and nothing in the shanty hole other than gills. I use to do real good on Pike back in the late 80's ? Has any one here caught any pike out of Mud lake within the last few years?

I drove into the Mill lake access site around 1:30 and one guy was out in a portable shanty. Ice at both lakes are 5-6 in. of ice

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Thanks for the report Mule Skinner. I've never tried Mud before. I'm gonna probably hit Mill Lake Saturday morning. Will report of anything good happens...

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys,those monster gills ur seeing in four mile,i'd bet those are redears.....my kids have 2 michigan angler awards from 2002.my daughter caught one that was 10.75" and weighed 1.00lb even.my sons was 11" and weighed 1.00lb.they had a ball,we fished in 3' of water and caught them all around the boat.they caught 44 before the sun baked us....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts