Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every winter I go somewhere for a 4 day weekend. Usually it's warm. Sometimes to a tailwater trout fishery in the SW

This year it has to be somewhere I'll probably see the sun.

Past trips have been to the lower Keys, Long Island, Bahamas, San Juan River, Lee's Ferry, SC low country, FL panhandle.

So...wondering where I should go this year. I was thinking Big Bend to take photos and fly fish for bass. I'd really like to get to BC for steelhead fishing but not in the winter.

If you had 4 days to drive, fish, eat great roadhouse food, etc. where would you go?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Upper Keys and into the Everglades, some really cool areas and a lot of fun. Snook, small poon, Jacks... name it, they are in there, fly fisherman's paradise.

·
Premium Member
4,297 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the "Forgotten Coast" area of the panhandle. We just spent a week over the holidays. It's quiet, decent fishing, decent weather, and a 16 ish hour drive. Or, fly into Tallahassee and it's a 45 min drive. Old Florida at its best, with some pretty phenomenal seafood. Best oysters in the country, when you can get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Premium Member
11,232 Posts
I'm kind of partial to the "Forgotten Coast" area of the panhandle. We just spent a week over the holidays. It's quiet, decent fishing, decent weather, and a 16 ish hour drive. Or, fly into Tallahassee and it's a 45 min drive. Old Florida at its best, with some pretty phenomenal seafood. Best oysters in the country, when you can get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
I like the way you think!!

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I would go up north...Presque Isle.

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
If you fly into Ft. Myers, this area isn't too bad at all this time of year. Usually gets down in the 50's or so at nite, but warms up rather nicely during the day. You can hire a guide that will get you on fish, red's are doing well right now, sea trout are around too. BTW, if you do fly to FM, let me know which airline, my wife works for TSA there and she'll make sure you have a nice time going through screening :evil::mischeif:

Just kidding of course.

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
Maybe S Missouri, N Arkansas? Great food & BBQ, friendly folks, great trout fishing, beautiful scenery, Branson & Silver Dollar City nearby.......gosh I miss this area!

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
I am more of a destination kind of guy. I would fly into Cancun, rent a vehicle (Alto = Stop in Spanish), and drive down past Tulum, to Punta Allen. Great drive, and quite remote - although the city has something like 3 bars for 500 people. Sian Ka'an wildlife reserve is all around Punta Allen. If you have a timeshare, you could probably book something in Tulum, and take day-trips for fishing. But Punta Allen is pretty much paradise, with Bonefish. If you do this, plan for the ride from Tulum to Punta Allen to take 2.5 times as long as you expect. The worst road I have ever driven. It makes the ride interesting, though. There are some nice fly fishing lodges on the way to Punta Allen.

If you didn't NEED sun, and warmth, I would recommend hitting the Olympic Peninsula @ WA State. You could easily take 4 days to drive around it, and do some Steelhead fishing for REAL Steelhead. Big, bruising, wild Hoh River Steelhead. Lots of other famous rivers, too - Bogachiel, Calawah, Sol Duc, Queets, Quinault, etc. Plenty of guides to help you do what you want to do.

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
Have you made your mind up yet, Paul, or are you still contemplating?

·
Registered
9,345 Posts
Paul, they've been doing pretty good on reds on sunny days. The trout are around, and even a few tarpon to play with, which is a little unusual this time of year. It's been quite warm here the last few days so who knows what you could run in to.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts