Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

4-9 upper river

1038 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  TimEye
Started out around noon as a sucky day. Me and my fishin partner went and made a pass at the RenCen. Zilch. The winds were so flat, we were even able to work on our jiggin. Only 1 snag and 1 lost jig all day. Still no fish on that method, but we're getting better. After the Ren, we jigged at Cobo, Joe, Freep, and the Am Bridge. No runs, no hits, no errors. So after that, we decided, "Ok, we've practiced with the jiggin thing enough for the day, let's get serious." So we broke out the handlining gear. Made a pass at the Whiskey plant. Zip. Pass in the Cow Pasture. Zero. Finally made it all the way up into the Lake. Bingo! Picked up 7 and lost 4 or 5 others in about 2 hours. 7 we kept were nice fish, 19-23 inches. F-9 Black and Silver was the ticket today. Be back at it again in the morning.;):evil:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Nice job Fish eater! Thanks for the rap!
Anytime bro! You gave one right back in trade though, you didn't have to do that, I was trying to help you out. Sure I'll see you many more times out there. We're gonna hammer em this year bro. Maybe even tomorrow.;)

On a side note. I watched you pullin wire. I'm not trying to tell you how to fish, JMO, but to me, your speed seemed a little slow. Don't be afraid to kick it up a bit. I know when I first started out, that was my biggest problem. Curt, Ed, and Kevin were always pulling away from me. As soon as I started speeding up, and running them down, BOOM, limits of fish. That's what I noticed anyway, just some food for thought. You'll be a salty wire-liner in no time, I'm sure of it.:)
Any constructive critiscism is appreciated. I jsut started handlining a couple months ago so I'm about as green ast they get. To be honest I definately enjoy jigging more so when the fishing gets hot again I'll be jigging most of the time.
castmaster if you like jigging for walleye so much why is their a picture of two ugly bass in youre avatar?:lol: JK glad to hear you came over to the darkside!
:lol: :lol: :lol: I just like the pic! I do love to fish for bass but who eats those things? Not me. YUK!:coco:
Robert Hoover said:
castmaster if you like jigging for walleye so much why is their a picture of two ugly bass in youre avatar?:lol: JK glad to hear you came over to the darkside!
How'd you end up doing last evening Derek?? I was thinking of heading out for a bit after work if things go well there!;)
Nice job on the Walleye Scott. Sounds like you guys worked for them.
Glad you gotta few Scott. If I ever find time to prep the boat we'll get out and hone them jiggin' skills, and if not we'll tell great tales of wire fishing while poundin' the bottom and having some *******. :D
I didn't do squat!:rant: I hate learning new techniques. I'm getting frustrated with handlining already. Probably going out at around 6;00pm or so to give it another go.
Houghton laker said:
How'd you end up doing last evening Derek?? I was thinking of heading out for a bit after work if things go well there!;)
hang in there cast master you will learn to love it!
CASTMASTER 5000 said:
I didn't do squat!:rant: I hate learning new techniques. I'm getting frustrated with handlining already. Probably going out at around 6;00pm or so to give it another go.
I didn't get anything untill we moved up to all the jiggers, and right after we said hi to you castmaster i hit a 5lber in 28fot and almost an hour later i hit one cutting cross hard in 32 fow, only 2 all day. just a bad day. when the water warms up gonna have some fun this year. so far i have not caught anything under 3lbs,(only 6 trips with the boat so far) and if this pace keeps up, its gonna be a good summer. :lol:
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.