Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fished many spots today. Wyondotte Boat Launch can, Mudd Island Can, Steele Mill, Ballenger Drift, Ren Cen, 3 Rocks and Steele Mill Y.C. Only managed 5 small fish. Damn lock jaw it seems. There were a lot of boats for a Wednesday!
Where did you launch and any recommendations of where to launch for tomorrow eye excursion? ...and if memory serves, still early enough to require tipping jigs with minnows...right?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boat is in a slip, so no boat launch... But the boat launches were BUSY. Ballenger, Ecorse or Wyndotte are the mid-river launches, pick your poison. I suggest a 5:30 arrival. The minnow is a debate, having some won't hurt. I think the lack of mature fish today means it's spawn night, but it's just a guess. As a friendly reminder, it's 100' at speed, and go out to the channel to go back up to your fishing run... Don't drive up through the boats (many people haven't learned courtesy). Fishing is always better than working.

Sent from my E6910 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
99 Posts
Fished from roughly 11:45-4:00 and caught one 17" male, ice freeze, black WW, meat, on the stinger by the golf course. Had a few hits but only landed the one. The wind was brutal and I had a hard time keeping our lines vertical.

What does everyone do with any leftover minnows?
I use them as an excuse for the wife on why I am going fishing Again the next day even if they die over night I don’t ever see a difference in action using day old dead minnows .

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
City was best yesterday. Tried steel, matchstick, mud nothing. Went to the D and limited in quick fashion.

I fished no minnows, buddy fished minnows. Chart with pimp was the game, we both caught the same amount of fish, which was a limit.

We had 6 nice males, 6 jacks. Just had to go find em.

The best is yet to come.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Launched out of Belanger @6am. Fished the power lines down to the first steel mill fish #1 in 41 FOW on blue ice. Another at 2 rocks 45 FOW on blue ice. 3 more at mud island but only 1 landed using Blue chartreuse. Called it at 11am after my reel screwed up bringing in number 5. All Fin S tiped with shiners.
20210407_151841.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Fished yesterday and it was a struggle, four guys in the boat. Started at BASF and got a couple, headed up to steel mills and got one, back down to BASF for one then golf course where we picked away at them. Fish were in 33-35' and pretty much no where else. We did squat when we were in a crowd and kept switching sides to get away from people. Ended with 18 in the box on black, brown, pimp daddy and PB&J plastics no meat. Jigs were yellow, green, orange, pink, purple and chartreuse throughout the day. Snagged a few also that went back as well as a couple shorts and lassoed one around the tail. Somehow the stinger came around and hooked the main line then pulled tight on the tail. Clearly not foul hooked because it wasn't hooked at all but we put it back. Best laugh we had in a while. No big fish but a few nice ones and most 18-21 with a few 17 or less. Water 45+-

Next week it will get hot? Before the 2nd week of April is usually slow and the nice weather might not have changed it that much. Starting to wonder if that giant 2014 year class was all reef and Maumee fish and the D had a bad year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Launched at Wyandotte and fished 8:00-2. Tried mud, grass and basf... Got 12 keepers and 2 shorts between 3 people. Not a lot of nets flying. Also, did anyone see accident that had the road shut down by Wyandotte around 7:30? Saw a motorcycle that looked completely destroyed. Really curious what happened. We saw a guy (assuming the motorcycle rider) getting put on a stretcher and loaded into an ambulance.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I felt bad yesterday....talked to a couple of guys as we pulled out of WBR. One asked where are they at, i said Cobo. Hall, he didn't know where that was at. So I described it to him.

Heres where i felt bad...He said he had 5 guys, got 15 need 10 more. Wasnt till we were leaving that I thought **** could have told him t he limit was 6 each....

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
36,497 Posts
Next week it will get hot? Before the 2nd week of April is usually slow and the nice weather might not have changed it that much. Starting to wonder if that giant 2014 year class was all reef and Maumee fish and the D had a bad year.
2015 and there are an estimated 14 million of them left. Do they actually return to the same place to spawn like some other fish? I didn't think that was very much of a thing with walleye.

·
Registered
169 Posts
We fished from 3 till 7:30pm. Trenton golf course, BASF, near match stick then by Stony.

Lots of work for 3 fish (and one bite off). There was so many boats by Humbug and in Wyandotte it looked like a saturday morning! Saw over a thousand guys fishing and maybe a dozen fish caught. SLOW!!!!

Why do so many captains power thru the pack? Or fly by at 40mph within 50' of jiggers?

This year has a bumper crop of inconsiderate boaters. Please start a fund me pool to bail me out of jail. In order to educate them and protect you, I have a plan for all my expired flares........

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
2015 and there are an estimated 14 million of them left. Do they actually return to the same place to spawn like some other fish? I didn't think that was very much of a thing with walleye.
They aren't great about returning to the same spot but I don't believe they switch types of areas, river spawners stick to rivers and lake spawners stick to lakes. It's an issue for restoring the reef spawning population in Sag Bay; the Muskegon River fish won't do it. The fish in Gogebic may be the old SB stock so there's hope there.

Thanks for the correction on the year. Makes sense for why so many 18" fish and not so many 22"+ which is still a couple years off. Right in the best slot for eating so I'm good with that. Now, if I can just manage to not sleep or work for the next three months I'll be able to hit the sweet spots for my favorite kinds of fishing. The D is up first. One obsession at a time means you're dedicated, not disturbed.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Fished yesterday and it was a struggle, four guys in the boat. Started at BASF and got a couple, headed up to steel mills and got one, back down to BASF for one then golf course where we picked away at them. Fish were in 33-35' and pretty much no where else. We did squat when we were in a crowd and kept switching sides to get away from people. Ended with 18 in the box on black, brown, pimp daddy and PB&J plastics no meat. Jigs were yellow, green, orange, pink, purple and chartreuse throughout the day. Snagged a few also that went back as well as a couple shorts and lassoed one around the tail. Somehow the stinger came around and hooked the main line then pulled tight on the tail. Clearly not foul hooked because it wasn't hooked at all but we put it back. Best laugh we had in a while. No big fish but a few nice ones and most 18-21 with a few 17 or less. Water 45+-

Maumee fish are there own strain.....return to the maumee strictly

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Seems like it is taking about 1 1/2 man hours per fish which is really slow. I was in Wyandotte yesterday about 10 AM (had to hit Boaters Value for some parts). It looked like a zoo on the water. Truth be told, I hate to fish when it is like that. Even if you find a school, soon as you catch a couple, a 20 other boats will be on you and the fish will scatter. For early, I will fish the lake.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts

I lassoed one last year as well. It was a nice one, about 4 lbs. Only mine was just behind the gills. Line wrapped around the fish and the stinger hooked itself on the line and it tightened around the fish and I reeled it in. I have also had 2 occasions in the past 3 years when I have caught 2 fish on the same jig. One on the main and one on the stinger. Think about how perfect the timing has to be for that to happen.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
We fished from 3 till 7:30pm. Trenton golf course, BASF, near match stick then by Stony.

Lots of work for 3 fish (and one bite off). There was so many boats by Humbug and in Wyandotte it looked like a saturday morning! Saw over a thousand guys fishing and maybe a dozen fish caught. SLOW!!!!

Why do so many captains power thru the pack? Or fly by at 40mph within 50' of jiggers?

This year has a bumper crop of inconsiderate boaters. Please start a fund me pool to bail me out of jail. In order to educate them and protect you, I have a plan for all my expired flares........
Usually, the idea is to go out and around the "pack" and then head back up river on plane. However, this year on the weekends (likely due to the CAN side being off limits), there have been huge sections of the river where you can't go "around the pack" because the pack takes up the entire width of the river, in some cases for 1/4 mile or more. Most boats make far less of a wake on plane than they do at say 5-7 mph. So unless you are at idle, which would take you forever against the current, you are better off on plane, IMO. On Saturday, I launched at St. Jean and ended up down by Fighting Island. I had to make my way back to St. Jean to pull the boat out. From the water intake by Fighting until just past the Rouge, it was solid boats, side to side. Once I got past the Rouge, I went into CAN waters to stay away from the boats. That trip would have taken me an hour or more if I had to go through there at idle speeds. Now getting within 40-50 feet of someone jigging is way to close, so I agree with you 100% on that one. If it was that tight, I would have no choice but to creep through that section and then get back on plane. I remember why I chose not to fish during the mornings on the weekends the last two years. Way too many boats, and the fishing usually sucks when it is that busy on the river.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts