Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smoked this guy at 286 yards. first woodchuck of the year too... as you can kind of tell from the picture i nailed him two times at 286. the first one was the one towards the side. he must have just turned when i shot or something because it just went threw his side and he jumped up and spun around a couple times and i quickly loaded another barnes burner into the chamber and nailed him right threw the throat which put him down instantly. I saw him sitting out in the field eating about 350 yards off of the road and as soon as i slow down he parked ran into his hole so i got out and snuck up to a lone tree out in the field and waiting him out only took about 5 mins and he was back out so i let him relax and feed for a while then i smoked him with my ruger #1 22-250 with hand loaded barnes burners... couldnt have asked for better shots that far with the wind conditions like they were yesturday.. shot him around 5:20 thats the only chuck i got to shoot at. I saw about 5 woodchucks on the way to my spots but this is the only one i was able to hunt. on the way to pick him up there were 3 more holes with active woodchucks 2 of which are too close to houses but there is still one thats out there about a 100 yards closer than the one i shot.... hes in trouble :)
[/IMG]

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
You werent kidding about the wind the last few days. I was going to go tonight, but we have gusts in the 40mph or better range. Besides I dont want to educate them too much. Glad you got out and got some target practice there!

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Nice chuck there! Love it!:lol:

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Action- i told you something was going to bite the dust on sunday.

Muckamuck4- its a new bread i try and create with every shot:lol: .... wish you would have came now huh... would have made good video too..

thanks for the messages guys

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
What a beautiful gun! I love the 22-250.
Nice shot, or should I say Shots.
Good Job.

Mike

·
Registered
140 Posts
you know, if you would have bought a 700 VSSF by now, it would have taken only one shot. and know what? the gun is so bad ass, you prob wouldn't have had to pull the trigger, the chuck would have seen it from that far and just fell over

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that gun has been a tack driver from day one... shoots sweet at 100 yards i can put all 3 touching and sometimes only have 2 holes... its pretty sweet.... it has many chucks and crows under its belt and one coyote..... farthest shots so far have been 338 on a chuck and my 298 or 296 cant remember now it says in my photos but on that hailmary shot i threw down to tag that yote for mine and muckamucks double..... i love this gun... but im working on saving up for a new long range product based off the remington 700 308 VSF..... ill keep saving my pennies.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
How do you like the trigger on that falling block #1......

I always thought chucks looked best dressed in red....;)

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah people always talk about how much they dont like ruger triggers or maybe just ruger #1 triggers but there are tons of chucks and other critters that would say how much they dont like it too if they were still here today....

I didnt get the gun brand new so it might have had trigger work done to it but high highly doubt it.... it hasnt seemed to affect my shooting what so ever and i dont even notice a hard trigger pull from it.. it has never affected the shooting of the gun... it is crazy accurate. i have a 6.5-24 weaver for a scope and that gun combination is perfect from 20 yards to probably quiet a ways my farthest woodchuck was 338 and that is pretty far but i am sure i could smoke one farther just havent had the opportunity... i love when you have hunted with a gun for so long you know exactly where you have to aim to hit them... we work very well together... but honestly i think the trigger is just fine. and it is definently one accurate gun.
-Craig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts