Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learning about the new "Shotgun Zone" law allowing certain straight walled cartridges, I got very excited. I am one who is recoil sensitive. Macho doesn't matter, I hated shooting my punishing slug gun.

My 12 gauge slug gun I used over the years certainly was very efficient at killing deer, but I wanted something inherently more accurate and less recoil. I decided on obtaining a .357 Maximum rifle, not something you can go to a retailer and buy. After much research, I decided to have a company called, "Bullberry" out in UT build my .357 maximum on a TC Encore platform.

The challenge - factory ammo is not produced anymore & Remington brass can be tricky to find. However reloading apparently is a cinch with this round & there are several commercial re-loaders who can work up loads for you if you don't want to get involved in reloading. This.......is the option I am taking for now. I will be using 158 grain bullets, undecided on which one. Leaning towards a Hornady XTP "FP".

Barrel length & twist rage are huge factors in muzzle velocity. Bullet choices must be matched accordingly for best impact performance. This is something I am a bit anxious about. I want a bullet, at my velocity, to provide passthroughs at 25-100 yards. My barrel specs are: 24.5" long - 1/16 twist, heavy contour.

Bullberry emailed me yesterday saying that my rifle is complete and has shipped to my FFL dealer. Should have it in a couple days.

For those of you with experience in .357 Maximum "RIFLES"............please chime in. What loads do you use, what experience have you had with penetration at close range.......long range,. Bones, etc. Your favorite bullet in this caliber/rifle and why.

·
Registered
36,317 Posts
I had Bullyberry build me a 45-70 in 1:22 twist. I requested a Pacnor blank in SS. It's a full bull contour with a 45* crown.

I've since had it threaded for a breach plug and shoot it as a muzzleloader. Very accurate combination.

·
Banned
2,249 Posts
Probably one of the most important things about getting a rifle barrel chambered in 357 Max is that, whoever does the chambering, does not look at the SAMMI drawing! The 357 Max can be a very accurate round but only if it has a rifle-type chamber with a proper throat (SAMMI specs indicate a revolver type forcing cone). The bullet choice is nearly unlimited but, for hunting purposes, the 180 gr XTP is difficult to beat. Lehigh Bullets has some interesting offerings (also, Lehigh Defense) with their solid brass bullets. Your choice for a deer rifle was excellent and it has the capability of taking them out to 200 yards provided, of course, that the chamber was done properly.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did not ask Bullberry if they use SAMMI specs, but they insured me that they do not use a forcing cone......EVER! Their machine guy told me they run very tight chambers. One thing that drew me to this company was all of the stellar reviews and their famous accuracy guarantee.

·
Registered
36,317 Posts
Why did they have to ship to a FFL dealer? Did you purchase an action from them or send them your action for some additional work?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why did they have to ship to a FFL dealer? Did you purchase an action from them or send them your action for some additional work?
Yes.......I chose to purchase the action from Bullberry. So they are shipping an operational gun. Just got notification that my gun arrived today at the dealer. Heading to pick it up later. Now I have to get my cartridges built, scope mounted, and get it zeroed. Hoping it shoots really well.

·
Registered
36,317 Posts
You will enjoy it.

I picked up a used Bullyberry in 243 Winchester for my daughter. Her first shot took the X out in the bull at 50 yards. I moved her to 100 yards and her second shot took the X out. 4 more through the same hole. Top notch workmanship.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You will enjoy it.

I picked up a used Bullyberry in 243 Winchester for my daughter. Her first shot took the X out in the bull at 50 yards. I moved her to 100 yards and her second shot took the X out. 4 more through the same hole. Top notch workmanship.
Was this on a TC Encore frame?

·
Registered
36,317 Posts
Was this on a TC Encore frame?
I have an Encore and ProHunter frame, it makes no difference on which one I use. The Encore frame is now on my Bullberry muzzleloader barrel. Both frames were sent to Stratton Custom Guns for some work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts