Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Remington hasn't made it in years, but I think Nosler now does. The only real solution I've found to feed mine is reloading, but if you don't shoot it too much you might be able to stock up on it through the year.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remington hasn't made it in years, but I think Nosler now does. The only real solution I've found to feed mine is reloading, but if you don't shoot it too much you might be able to stock up on it through the year.
Yea I don’t shoot it much .thats my thinking just buy some Nosler.How do you like yours.bought mine in the 70,s never thought I’d be hunting for ammo

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Yea I don’t shoot it much .thats my thinking just buy some Nosler.How do you like yours.bought mine in the 70,s never thought I’d be hunting for ammo
I've only used it for black bear with the 200 gr. Hornady SP. I shot three bears with that load. The first was in and out ribs with a good blood trail, the second I never found a drop of blood or a dead bear, the third was in ribs and stopped short of the far shoulder. Only a tiny amount of blood from the nose, but a short trail. I think that bullet would work fine for deer, but I switched to the 225 gr. Sierra. Sadly I haven't been able to shoot a bear with it yet.

The rifle is a 700 BDL from 1969. At first I didn't like the relatively tight pistol grip, but now no other rifle throws up like that one for me.

Reactions: shooter

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
I own a Model 7 and a Model 600 in it. Took a Newfoundland Moose with the Nosler 225 partition ammo. First shot was 60 yards in the shoulder. Actually saw the moose wince and stagger from the energy. He turned to start towards the brush and a second shot in the chest dropped him. Started reloading after that. Have taken a coyote and a doe with 200 grain FTX bullets. Strangely enough the coyote was blown apart and the doe was a more reasonable exit hole. Both short distance. If you google the ammo you can find some guys selling custom loads. Some produce to order and some have a small amount of stock. Awfully spendy though!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts