Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about getting the 350 Legend .
I'm sure that some of you already have one.
what Rifle do you think is the most accurate ?

Thanks
Kevin

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about getting the 350 Legend .
I'm sure that some of you already have one.
what Rifle do you think is the most accurate ?

Thanks
Kevin
This thread may jump start some reading for you...

I have the Savage Axis same one Cabelas has for $250 after Rebate tomorrow, many places will have a similar price as there is a $75 rebate from Savage normal price is $359. I'm sure there are better guns, I also looked at a single shot but decided to go this route and so far very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have the Savage Axis, bought it for my wife and in case one of my daughters wants to deer hunt.

So far just two does, I shot one last year after I bought it and my wife shot one on the opener. Both dropped in Thier tracks, her shot was spine so it was expected. My shot was shoulder.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Ruger American with a Leopold 350 Freedom on top. I don't have it in the 350 but a good friend has one and his wife has one them. I have the same setup but only in the 450. I love that gun.

·
Registered
612 Posts
350 Legend is a OK caliber but is a minimum for deer at best.....but I would give the 450 Bushmaster a very close look........
Remember velocities with a 350 Legend are only going to be at the best 2300 fps. Where the 450 Bushmaster with a factory Black Butterfly CEB Raptor 160 gr. "Screamer" is just over 2700 fps, the only factory ammo loaded with this bullet. If your a hand loader more than that can be achieved safely. 350 Legend is operating at maximum pressure 60'000 psi, 450 Bushmaster is 38'500 psi and in a bolt action no problem to go 60'000 psi in a bolt action "ONLY".
I was the original developer of the of the Cutting Edge Bullets .452" Raptor 160 gr. bullet for use in the 450 Bushmaster back in 2016. I've shot over 20 bucks, 2 more this year with the bullet, and the most anyone has gone is one step some don't even kick there legs, just fall over dead.
At this time I'am developing a .40 caliber cartridge 1.8" long case Michigan legal . It's also going to shoot a CEB .400 caliber 160 gr bullet.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I've got a ruger american with a vortex scope. Factory setup. It's a fun gun to shoot. Not a lot of experience with it, just one shot at one deer that didn't take a step on a high shoulder shot. 60 yards, Hornady 165 ftx. Shooting 150 win xps now but have not shot a deer with them. Next season will be win 180s. Pretty much shooting whatever ammo I can find presently. The 150s group amazing, excited for the 180s tho as I've heard some penetration concerns with the 150s. It's highly unlikely I'll ever have over a 100 yard shot tho. For just me I probably would have gone 450bm, but I've got 2 little kids and a wife...the round will be perfect for them. Theres basically no recoil. I'll just use my muzzleloader if I need another gun if one of them is using the 350L.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
698 Posts
Sighted in Ruger American for my dad in 350 Legend and it was very accurate at 100 yds. Son’s Ruger 450 Ruger Hawkeye was equally if not more accurate.

Ruger makes some great guns and have a very controlled process. They make the parts that go on their guns. No question Ruger product is 100% American content and made, not many gun companies can say that.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
When did deer become armor plated making 350 a minimum? 1900 ftlbs far exceeds the "minimum" for deer.

I totally agree. I've seen too many deer killed with cartridges that get knocked. I've hunted in camps and was criticized for using anything smaller than an 06.

The 350 legend is equal or superior to the 30-30 which has stacked up a mountain of deer and other large game..

I would certainly agree that it isn't the quintessential powerhouse deer round. However, it's certainly up to the task if you use a bit of common sense when hunting with it.

I have one but I've not got to use it on a deer yet, not because of limitations but because of my own health situation...

I have no doubt that when I do use it deer will die and do so in an efficient manner.. Why because I understand my limitations as well as that of my rifles..

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have my 350 Legend in a Ruger American Predator with a Vortex Crossfire II scope on it. It's a tack driver at 100 yards. As for deer hunting, it's 2 for 2. Both bucks I've shot with it never took another step. I love that gun.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't think too many folks are using what I use. A Blaser R93, I'm sure a lotta folks have never even heard of one . . . It is a well known rifle in Europe, made in Germany, I only spent 32 years there with US Army, lol. Fantastic rifle though, which I have 9 barrels in various calibers for it.

I hear a lot of satisfied folks with the Ruger and Savage models, so I'd probably go that route if looking for one around these parts.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I had some AR parts laying around just needed a barrel and hand-guard. Rifles put together, now it’s glass / bases and a mag. My boys split use of a CVA V2 .450 so this will give them each some to tote around. Got some 160gr ammo inbound, if I can decide the other parts might be able to use it for the remainder of deer season if it dials in good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts