Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ammo is everyone shooting and how has it performed deer hunting? I’m debating between a few and would like to hear what others have experienced.

Winchester Deer Season XP 150 grain, Bear Creek 160 grain; and Lehigh Defense are what I’m currently considering. Shooting from a Franchi Momentum Elite with a Vortex 3-9x50 BDC.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Font Material property Sleeve Electric blue Brand

Can't speak to any results yet, but this is what's going to the bench on a CVA Scout and a Rueger MPR.

Especially excited to try the Gold Country!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
160 grain bear creek. I'm no marksman that spends a lot of time at the range and I shoot about 2 inch groups at 150 with it, which is minute of deer any way you slice it. Good terminal performance and, importantly for me with kids eating the meat, no lead fragments

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I would try all of them and use whichever is most ACCURATE.
^^^ THAT ^^^

I bought my first Savage Axis XP in 350Legend in fall of 2019. Put half dozen different brands through it. It liked Federal 180gr best (and Winchester 150gr a very close 2nd). Buddy fell in love with that rifle, so I sold it & ammo to him and bought another Savage.

The Savage Axis II prefers Winchester 165 XP. While doing load research, got a blooper & found a primer which blew out of its pocket. Contacted Winchester with photos and details of the issue. After sending them my spent brass from that box, they sent me TWO replacement boxes as a thank-you. I have 100% confidence in this ammo out to 250 yards.

Each ammo rings the bell differently. As Skipper said, research at the range is time well spent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts