Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up 2 boxes of Hornady Custom ammo in 165 FTX for .350 Legend.
I pulled a round and it contained 24.3grains of what looked like Lil Gun. COL was 2.255”.
Out of my Savage Axis2 (18.5”) it chrono’d 6 shots total avg. of 2308fps with Low of 2300 and high of 2016.
Had a little wind and only enough time for 2 groups which both were 1.4” @100yds.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
I'm getting ~2500 fps with Lil gun and the 140 ftx. It's accurate too. So your velocities seem dead on with that weight bullet and a lil gun.
RL7 is next up on my experimental list.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been waiting for the component bullets to become available after noticing them listed.

Also been debating switching to a Savage since my Ruger seems to be picky about factory ammunition and the Savage rifles seem to be less picky.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MITDR- One guy I know of got a batch of the bullets and loaded them. They shot well for him.
I personally have not found a better shooting load than the Win 150 Xp's in all rifles, and my Savage/Ruger AR shoots the Hornady 170 SP's insanely well(but I'm sticking with the Win 150's ONLY because we Coyote Hunt more than deer) The 170's Sp's would be my pick.
I do have another box and half of the 165FTX's to shoot some time on a calm day to see if I just had a less than stellar day.
I do like that they have the highest BC at .250 and highest Velocity at 2300fps. This equates to 900#KE at 250 yds thus giving an additional 50 yds of deer range(if you are a believer in 900#KE for deer).
The ES/SD was low and that is in itself promising...

If I were you and ONLY hunt deer, I would trade that Ruger in on an AXIS 2, increase the forearm gap a bit. My Savage seems to shoot everything below 1.5"(even crappy 145 Fmjs)..and in the .5" at 100 yds for the more accurate factory loads that that my Ruger Ranch barely broke 1" with. The weird thing is that my Ruger AR is actually the best shooting .350 I have and it's trigger is 4.5#(but still nice /clean feeling)..I've shot a .385" group with it and the Hornady 170's...and a .5" with the 150 XP's..
I haven't yet shot the 165 FTX's out of it, but hopefully they also are sub MOA...

·
Registered
223 Posts
MITDR- One guy I know of got a batch of the bullets and loaded them. They shot well for him.
I personally have not found a better shooting load than the Win 150 Xp's in all rifles, and my Savage/Ruger AR shoots the Hornady 170 SP's insanely well(but I'm sticking with the Win 150's ONLY because we Coyote Hunt more than deer) The 170's Sp's would be my pick.
I do have another box and half of the 165FTX's to shoot some time on a calm day to see if I just had a less than stellar day.
I do like that they have the highest BC at .250 and highest Velocity at 2300fps. This equates to 900#KE at 250 yds thus giving an additional 50 yds of deer range(if you are a believer in 900#KE for deer).
The ES/SD was low and that is in itself promising...

If I were you and ONLY hunt deer, I would trade that Ruger in on an AXIS 2, increase the forearm gap a bit. My Savage seems to shoot everything below 1.5"(even crappy 145 Fmjs)..and in the .5" at 100 yds for the more accurate factory loads that that my Ruger Ranch barely broke 1" with. The weird thing is that my Ruger AR is actually the best shooting .350 I have and it's trigger is 4.5#(but still nice /clean feeling)..I've shot a .385" group with it and the Hornady 170's...and a .5" with the 150 XP's..
I haven't yet shot the 165 FTX's out of it, but hopefully they also are sub MOA...

I suspect the 22" barrel is my issue. It seems that everyone with the shorter Ruger barrel has a less ammunition sensitive rifle. Im willing to try the 165 FTX when I get my hands on some, but past experience with plastic tipped bullets is leaving me concerned about terminal performance even if they group well. Thats why I switched from a 325 FTX at 2100 FPS to a 400gr FP Speer at 1750 FPS for my .458x1.8 deer load.

Resized Speer 180gr Hot-Cor .358 bullets seem to shoot consistent sub 1" at 100 yards in my Ruger. I have two loads for that one that both shoot well. One fits a P-Mag and the other fits the magazine well. If memory is correct there is a little over 100 FPS difference between them.

I may rebarrel the Ruger to a .358-350 Legend at some point. I have heard a lot of good about how the Savage rifles are performing. Hopefully my rebarreled R700-AAC will perform well as a .358x1.71", whenever I get that finished.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lotsa neat toys..
I have a .223 Axis 2 that I’m considering ordering a custom barrel, but I think I’m liking all the caliber specific bullets being designed in the .355 range.
350’s are flying off the shelves here and ammo is gone as well..

I don’t think barrel length is it.mine was a 16” and only liked the 150xp’s. But at the time I only tried them, the 180 Power points and the 145 FMJ’s.
I just didn’t care for the magazine, short barrel and on top of it the stupid color. I also thought it cycled really rough. Iv’e since figured out that the culprit for this lies within the magazines. I modded my factory Mag springs and followers to allow 10 rounds for my Ruger AR 350, and now they cycle so much smoother without 3” of solid coils putting undue pressure against bottom of bolt and eating up brass.
I simply cut all the extra coils out and ground off follower from underneath so it doesn’t bottom out until it actually bottoms out.
Night and day ...I’m certain it would help the bolt gun in the same exact matter.
I tried the pmag mod and that didn’t seem to help anything for it with the Ranch or the AR.
Anyways if you want details, PM me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Saw these online while trying to figure out where the 265 grain bullets are. Wondered how they would perform. Thanks
I don’t have a Suppressor, but one value that might be overlooked is the super low recoil these would have for the really small kids yet still take deer at short ranges out of blinds etc...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting ~2500 fps with Lil gun and the 140 ftx. It's accurate too. So your velocities seem dead on with that weight bullet and a lil gun.
RL7 is next up on my experimental list.

Wolf76,

What COAL are you using with your .357 140 FTX 350 Legend hand loads? Tried a dummy round yesterday at 2.255 inches, and it wouldn’t freely chamber because of the ogive, not very pointy. This is in a modern sporting rifle, not bolt. I released the BGC, which forced the dummy round to chamber, but it was hard to get back out. You can see a mark all the way around the bullet where it was touching. Assuming if I seat it deeper that may not be a problem as long as I start with light loads and work up watching for pressure signs. How much Lil Gun did you end up using?

·
Registered
223 Posts
A .357 bullet might not fit the throat in your rifle. I know a .357 wont fit in mine. A .356 will fit just fine though.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Haven’t tried. I saw they had a 150 solid copper expanding bullets too.

https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=350LEGEND150HVTREX

Can you buy Winchester 150XP 350 Legend bullets? Or just loaded ammo?

I don't load, was just wondering.

I have not seen the Maker 150 bullet only, just ammo and it's on backorder.

I have not see the Winchester bullets, just the ammo.

Bear Creek Ballistics may have something out soon.

Hammer makes these

https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/355-legend/

·
Registered
223 Posts
Been sitting on a box of the Maker 150gr bullets since late last year. I have just had too many other things pushing ahead of the .350. Today was my first time to the range since this Rona crap started. .243, 6.5x55, and .458x1.8 took priority since they have upcoming plans. Well, it will either be the .243 or 6.5 depending on if I can get the 6.5 to behave with 129 or 140 Interlock bullets.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Yeah, it's holding up many things.

I am going to wait another 3 weeks, or so, to see if Bear Creek is going to have their stuff out. If not, I will likely go with the HSM .350 with the 170gr Hornady interlock.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Wolf76,

What COAL are you using with your .357 140 FTX 350 Legend hand loads? Tried a dummy round yesterday at 2.255 inches, and it wouldn’t freely chamber because of the ogive, not very pointy. This is in a modern sporting rifle, not bolt. I released the BGC, which forced the dummy round to chamber, but it was hard to get back out. You can see a mark all the way around the bullet where it was touching. Assuming if I seat it deeper that may not be a problem as long as I start with light loads and work up watching for pressure signs. How much Lil Gun did you end up using?
my AR15 handles .357 bullets without any issue. I load them to just fit inside the mag - so not sure of COAL.
I'm North of 26 grs of Lil gun, so probably start with 24.5 grs.
I just had my throat redone by Mike Bellm and can say that .358 bullets don't require sizing anymore. The 200 ftx has been the most accurate bullet I've shot throughout testing. still playing with the powders, but have it moving 2080 fps. there's still room for more speed and if it's accurate at 2100+ , this will be my go to load.
124 hammer bullets are shooting very good too. @2600.
the 180 xtp is also on my try list.
Lil gun, H110, and vv110 have been very useful powders. 4227 was far too temp sensitive.

side note - the 150 XP Winchester's only shoot 2170 fps, but reasonably accurate (1.5 moa).

also, if you have rifling marks on your bullets- that will lead to pressure situations. seat then 50 thousandths deeper. I don't think seating deapth is critical for fairly blunt bullets.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
How does that light Hammer perform on deer at 150 or 200? Does it retain enough velocity to expand properly? Do they do the needed damage?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The tipped 150’s and 165’s will expand much better than a soft point as velocity decreases. After seeing the performance of the 150XP(which is similar to bullets mentioned with a tapered jacket)at 50 yds, I wouldn’t hesitate to take a 200 yard shot on deer.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Tipped 165? Is the the FTX? Is that that same bullet that the .450 is having problems with? Should I just stick with the 150XP I am REALLY confusing myself.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts