Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard a rumor that the DNR is considering making the 35 Remington cartridge legal for deer hunting in zone 3. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I heard something last year about allowing cartridges with smooth sides...

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
First, the DNR doesn't make laws. Second, I have read where the DNR is opposed anyway as they fear more counties and townships would request to restrict hunting in populated areas with the perceived safety factor it would bring. Don't shoot the messenger on that one. There has been at least one bill over the last couple years introduced in the house but it hasn't gone anywhere. House bill 5416 is one.

·
Registered
35,738 Posts
I doubt that anything would happen with the 35 Remington since it is necked down case.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Here is house bill 5416:

This bill would allow the use of .35 caliber or larger rifles loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.8 inches in the limited firearms area (shotgun zone).

·
Premium Member
30,915 Posts
Here is house bill 5416:

This bill would allow the use of .35 caliber or larger rifles loaded with straight-walled cartridges with a minimum case length of 1.16 inches and a maximum case length of 1.8 inches in the limited firearms area (shotgun zone).
It would affect rifles chambered in .357, .44 mag, .444, .45-70, ect., not 35 Rem.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Indiana has a similar law. To be honest, they should just eliminate the zone and allow rifles anyway. The safety of a shotgun or MZ vs a rifle is a myth. PA did a study a few years ago and found the opposite was true. On paper it sounds good, but in reality...

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I'd misunderstood and read a few posts about necking down out of context. After re-reading I realized it was in reference to straight wall cases, not as in necking down a parent case, which is normally what I deal with being a reloader. I originally thought you meant the 30-30 was a necked down 35 Remington.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
No big deal. This entire thread starting from misinformation about a bill that never even left committee. Typical rumor stuff that usually morphs into even more misinformation. It wouldn't surprise me at all to be on another site and read that someone just saw on m-s.com that the DNR will be allowing 30-30s to be used for deer in the southern lower, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts