Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been scouring the internet trying to pick a cartidge that could be at home in eastern woods or in western mountains. maybe this is it. what do you guys think, have any of you tried this as a wildcat. i know jack o'connor messed with something very similar but it never caught on although it was highly praised. i'm new to rifle hunting just curious what you experts think.

could a rem. 7600 be easily built for this.:rolleyes: it's a 308 case necked up to a 338. is it do-able.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
New Kid said:
i've been scouring the internet trying to pick a cartidge that could be at home in eastern woods or in western mountains. maybe this is it. what do you guys think, have any of you tried this as a wildcat. i know jack o'connor messed with something very similar but it never caught on although it was highly praised. i'm new to rifle hunting just curious what you experts think.

could a rem. 7600 be easily built for this.:rolleyes: it's a 308 case necked up to a 338. is it do-able.
7400 should be able to use this quite handily. Its said to drive the 180 faster than the 308 does. As a handloader I can wait to get the gun and loading equipment.
Working on 7-08s right now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
This cartridge does not have any of the words "magnum", "extreme", or "tactical" attached to it, nor do the bullets fired from it set any speed records, nor will it impress with massive muzzle blast or recoil.

Alas, 'tis is simply a medium-bore cartridge firing middle-weight bullets at very practical and sensible velocities. The American hunting public won't buy it.

Personally, I think it's a neat little cartridge. It seems that it would work well for sensible-range shots on whitetail, elk, or even moose.

(But I think it would sell better if it was called the .338 Federal Tactical Lightweight Über-Magnum )

:D

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
sgtsabre, you speak the truth.. thanks for a chuckle.. ;-)

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have never heard of that caliber, but i have had a chance to cheeck out a 338-06 which is comparable somewhat and that gun rocked

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Now that Federal has it coming out. Wont take long. Much like the 35 Whelen/358Win..... and 338-06/338 Federal.............will make a great woods gun for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts