Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there everybody!

I just wanted to post a heads up on this fishing tournement that is held the last week in July. I have been a participant in this for the past 5 years now and it's a blast! :D There's stuff for everyone to do here. They even have a seperate tourney for the LADIES called the JACK DAINELS Classic.

I'm going to post a link below if your interested in this kind of FUN and Action. Check out the links on the left side of the page once you get to the website. It would be just great if some of our Michigan Sportsman. com members could attend. I would enjoy meeting you, and possibly take you out for a days fishing on the big lake.

BROWN TROUT FESTIVAL ;) :D :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Having done a little growing up over off of 2nd street (near what is now the post office) across from the Thunder Bay River and having relatives across the area I haven't missed 'going home' for many years now (save 2002 when I was just too sick to attend).

Sad fact that the Cormorants are knocking the hell out of a once fantastic Brown Trout fishery. Non-the-less the 'Steelie Ed' will return this year for the 30th Annual. And we look forward to our annual getting arrested outside the big tent on Big Bash night as well. *LOL*

Still a great tournament, run by a great bunch of folks and a good time with much to do for all.

See you in the beer tent!

:cool: :D :D :cool:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey 7mm:
We'll be there. 5 years for us also. Finished 3rd 3 yrs. ago. We're on the 26' Grady (Runway)usually 1st to the "can". Yea, it's a good tourney. Fun time for all. Why not organize a time during Saturday weigh-in for a M-S meet and greet.:D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Just wish they'd update the activities information from 2003 to 2004. A friend of mine who's crewing part of the tournament with me went in yesterday as a matter of fact looking for information on camping facilities nearby with empahsis on things to keep his wife and kids busy while he's out fishing with the guys. With updated information it would make it easier to put the finishing touches on our vacation plans.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey there Steelie~Ed,.. I know what you mean about those Browns going down hill. :( I did hook into a pretty nice 11 lb.'er though. :) But the one that took the biggest Brown last year was fantastic.

westbay,.. your idea about a get together sound great to me! :D
I hadn't any idea that there were any people from this board that took place in this contest. It would be great to have a Michigan Sportsmans G.T. there. I've got a 27ft SeaRay Express Cruiser (HONEYMOON) that I go out in. I have in the past got a slip in the marina for the contest. Last year however I was out of the competition for a week due to a engine failure (blown headgasket) from some CRAPPY gas I had purchased at the marina dock. The first 2 days out were great and then I filled up. I got all the way out to the point in-between Whitefish and North Point (near the wreck) and all HELL broke loose. The engine started sputtering and coughing and then a loud bang!:mad:

I had to turn about and head back into the marina. I was running at 3,000 RPM's and going a whopping 5-6 mph. It took almost 3/4 of that tank full of fuel to get back in!! :mad: I had pulled into the transient docks and pulled the water seperator filter which was FULL of water. The marina would NOT accept ANY responsibility!:mad: :mad: I towed her home, tore it down, did the repairs myself, and was back on the water for the LAST weekend of the tournement. I was NOT a happy camper for sure.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steelie~Ed,.. Go online and contact the Alpena Area Chamber of Commerce. They should be able to get all of that information out to you about camping and things to keep the wife and kids busy while your out on the water.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As a matter of fact 7MM Magnum, I was just on their web site and I've been in contact with the chamber recently. I'll be calling them back this week.

The kick-off dinner is on Saturday March 27th. I'm thinking of going if my wife doesn't schedule a birthday trip for me to New York.

July will be here before we know it. Now I have to decide if I'm going to run my club tournament up in Port Austin that first weekend; http://www.detroitsteelheaders.org/bigfish/bigfish.html or forego that to take a run at the five day specials. Since my friend is already planning on Alpena I think I already have the answer.

Or do I?

:confused: :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you another Steelhead Assn. Member??

I'm a member of the Thunder Bay Chapter in Alpena. :D I'm going to try and go to the kickoff dinner but not positive about it yet, still got a couple of days to think on it. ( March 15th deadline for tickets)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steelie~Ed

If your in need of some help locating a place for the family to camp let me know,... maybe I can do a little lookin' around for you seeing I live in the neighborhood. :D

Just give me a idea of what all your lookin for in a place to stay and the length of time you'll be needing it. :)

Places fill up quick when it comes to this event, and most people make their plans for it again during their last stay.

Oh ,... I missed out on the "Kick-off Dinner" :( :( :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts