Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
All are more then capable for taking whitetails in michigan. If you're looking for strickly a michigan whitetail rifle i would go with the .308 because its more pleasent to shoot. However, if plan to everr take on larger game in the future the 30-06 will take down just about anything in North America.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
.30-06, extremely versatile weapon, can't go wrong.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
.260 Remington or 7mm-08

Either one is just about the perfect Michigan whitetail caliber. Haven't used my '06 on whitetail in over ten years, it just sits there in the gun rack grumpily watching it's smaller caliber brethren get taken out for exercise every November. :lol:

·
Registered
436 Posts
30.06 -- Remington makes so many loads that it truely is very versatile. My son uses the managed recoil for MI whitetails!

·
Registered
509 Posts
30-06 because of the wide varity of ammo and ammo can be found any where in a pinch.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have both(Inheirted), both are capable cartridges, but I handload all my own brass, if i had to pick one I would go 30-06, a little more umph at longer ranges.

But also keep in mind that U.S. military snipers use the .308, and I have seen them shoot out to 1000yrds at demonstration and competition events.

·
Registered
147 Posts
7mm/08 is a really good cartridge for michigan whitetail. i havent taken my 30/06 out in years because the 7mm/08 is such a good caliber.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
.308 will do anything the '06 will do with less recoil, and a shorter action i.e. less weight. .308 gets my vote.

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
If I had to pick between the 2 of them I would pick the 30-06 due to its versatility but either will get the job done on Michigan whitetail.

My personal favorite is the .270.:D

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
It comes down to a personal choice as either will get the job done humanely and in the end it won't matter to the deer because it'll be dead.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I have both(Inheirted), both are capable cartridges, but I handload all my own brass, if i had to pick one I would go 30-06, a little more umph at longer ranges.

But also keep in mind that U.S. military snipers use the .308, and I have seen them shoot out to 1000yrds at demonstration and competition events.
Interesting....I've only known 1 military sniper and he told me they almost all use the 30-06.

My firsthand expirience with a varitey of calibers makes me echo what most of the others have said, which is that the 30-06 is the most versatile. I never notice recoil, but then I've noticed some people do so if you're one of them, a lighter gun like a 30-30 is more than adequate up to 200 yards.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
I would get a .308 if I had a choice. I know there are alot of people that love 30-30's but I'm not one of them. I had a Marlin 30-30 and hated that unacurate piece of ****.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Best weapon for any thing that you would ever hunt. You can get ammo most anywhere and many different loads. You cant go wrong with the 30/06 IMHO

I know a man from Michigan that has gone on over 70 safaris and a former LEO, he says it's the best gun for anything. He told me that without a second of thought when I ask him the same question. He owns many many rifles/weapons and was even a personal friend/hunting companion of Mr Weatherby. When he tells me something I know he has done his research before he gives an answer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I prefer a .280 Remington single shot or a Ruger .44 Magnum Carbine, have killed deer with both with no problem. Also have taken a few with the .35 Remington Marlin lever cranker, for most shots in MI almost any medium bore rifle round will do, pick what u shoot best and go hunting!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts