Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Closing moments on Sat. 1-2-21. I see a mark on the Vex and feel the bite. Rod doubles over and after 10 minutes of cussing and saying "I'll never get this thru the ice" I pull the big female thru the 6" hole just as the line breaks. Lucky to hook her in the top lip. Fat ol' bluegill eating water-wolf.
30.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am almost exclusively a panfish fisherman. I have landed many pike on my jigging rod and 3 pound test, but definitely lose many more than I catch. However, I have never landed one bigger than 28 inches. Congrats on a great accomplishment!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Very nice! Landed a 9lb. northern on sowing thread years ago. The key is keeping your drag set light enough so they don't snap off on the hit.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yup...pike are delicious...ate my belly
9A1AC483-5E8C-4450-9879-63B6F4F95A5F.jpeg
full last night on fresh pike that never hit the fridge! And yes...they are bluegill eating machines. Found this 8” Gill in this 26” pike. Looked and felt like he had a brick in her gut! Also a 3-4” Gill...and still took our pike minnow for dessert!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
After snapping off a monster northern at the hole I started carrying a gaff whenever pike season is open. You will greatly increase your landing percent on light line if you gaff the legal ones.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After snapping off a monster northern at the hole I started carrying a gaff whenever pike season is open. You will greatly increase your landing percent on light line if you gaff the legal ones.
Agreed. I have one....of course not with me at the time. Typical me move.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The bigger the fish, the more you need a gaff...they definitely help. But I personally like to release any pike I get over about 34", so no gaff for me. But if you are fishing light line and you know you are going to kill any size legal pike...gaff away! Then again, if you are using a 6" pan fish hole, there isn't a lot of room for a big pike's head and a gaff. If you can get their nose started, it's pretty easy to slip the fingers under the gill and slide them out. If you got them that far/close on light line, they are probably pretty whipped at that point.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The bigger the fish, the more you need a gaff...they definitely help. But I personally like to release any pike I get over about 34", so no gaff for me. But if you are fishing light line and you know you are going to kill any size legal pike...gaff away! Then again, if you are using a 6" pan fish hole, there isn't a lot of room for a big pike's head and a gaff. If you can get their nose started, it's pretty easy to slip the fingers under the gill and slide them out. If you got them that far/close on light line, they are probably pretty whipped at that point.
I do the same thing. If I do use the gaff its to gently lift under the lower jaw and slide them out rather than lift. Years ago I pulled a 43" 24lb. northern thru a 6" hole with a pair of pliers. The large body just reduced itself around the hole and the thing slid out remarkably easy. That was on a tip up on Gull.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I do the same thing. If I do use the gaff its to gently lift under the lower jaw and slide them out rather than lift. Years ago I pulled a 43" 24lb. northern thru a 6" hole with a pair of pliers. The large body just reduced itself around the hole and the thing slid out remarkably easy. That was on a tip up on Gull.
That's a HOG!!! I've never pike fished Gull through the ice but have done well in the open water. I know there are some giants in there!!!

·
Registered
903 Posts
That's a HOG!!! I've never pike fished Gull through the ice but have done well in the open water. I know there are some giants in there!!!
Back in the 80's thru early 00's you never pulled a shorty. Now your lucky if you get one over 24". Landed three 40"ers in the 90's.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not to do the fisherman one-up thing lol, but a few years ago my dad hooked a pike on an old schooley spring bobber rod. Worked that fish for about 20 minutes hand pulling the line, letting it take some line when it fought and bringing it up slowly. Ended up landing thay sucker, 32 inches. That was on 3 pound test. He even got that fish mounted more or less because how it was caught. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to do the fisherman one-up thing lol, but a few years ago my dad hooked a pike on an old schooley spring bobber rod. Worked that fish for about 20 minutes hand pulling the line, letting it take some line when it fought and bringing it up slowly. Ended up landing thay sucker, 32 inches. That was on 3 pound test. He even got that fish mounted more or less because how it was caught. Cool stuff.

Edit!!!!! I meant to say 33" pike! It was on 2.9lb line and I fought it for 21 minutes.

JK. Any Idea what that 32" monster weighed? Let me know so I can look back at my notes and reply with the weight of the fish in the OP. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts