Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i know nothing about reloading and have no experience hunting with rifles so bare with me. i want an all purpose rifle that i can hunt anything from antelope to elk with. i really like the remington pumps mainly because they fel most familiar to me growing up with a wingmaster in my hands, and i've really been encouraged by recent posts. i like the 300 rum but its more gun than i need, i would probably chose a 300 winmag but i really like the 7600 and would prefer to hunt michigan with it rather than a magnum bolt action rifle.

i was wondering if you were to handload it(the 30-06) what the flatest possible tragectory you achieve would be and at the other end what loading would give you the most down range energy. can you get over 2000 ft.lb. at 300 yds?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I used my Rem 700 for elk and antelope in Wy this year and dropped an cow elk at 200 yds with Federal 180 gr. Our group went 7for8 on elk .6 guys had 30 06s ,1 308 ,and a 300 mag .One guy shot his elk at 505 yds with an 06 ,I wouldn't of believed it but I watched him do it along with our entire hunting party.I think a pump would be sweet out west , if a follow up shot is needed.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Northbound said:
Personally, I am a big fan of the 30-06 and it is my rifle of choice. However with the introduction of the new Winchester short magnums I wonder if I'm part of a dying breed
I don't think you are part of a dying breed. A lot of the new cartridges are simply for marketing purposes. The incremental improvements a very small. While i have been shooting a .300 mag for many years, my next rifle will be a 30.06 also. SO versatile and easy to get ammo or components.

Good luck.

Dan

·
Registered
459 Posts
Something else to consider is instead of zeroing in on a yardage, spend some time on the range and find your point blank zone. You basically find at what maximum yardage can you hold dead center on a target and still achieve a kill shot (8-10"diameter in most cases). Once you do this, your aimpoint from zero to say 300 yards is always dead-center of the kill zone. You would be surprised how well even smaller calibers (.243, .270) perform. Then you can narrow down based on energy at point of impact. I shoot a .300 WinMag and like the versatility of loading light for lesser recoil, and heavier if chasing after a larger animal such as elk. Lots of bullet choices in the .30 cal range too! Good luck!

·
Registered
724 Posts
New Kid said:
i was wondering if you were to handload it(the 30-06) what the flatest possible tragectory you achieve would be and at the other end what loading would give you the most down range energy. can you get over 2000 ft.lb. at 300 yds?
The 30.06 is a great round and one that is likely to be around a long, long time. It won't shoot as flat as a 300 Win Mag but it certainly will shoot plenty flat to take game. You should be able to get about 2800 fps at the muzzle with a 165 gr hunting bullet. If you are zero'd at 200 yards you can expect about 8" of drop at 300. You would have a hard time getting a load to deliver 2000 ft.lb. at 300 yards. More likely 1700-1900.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Swamp Monster said:
Simple, Flat enough to shoot has far as you need to and powerful enough to kill what you want to kill.
The 30-06 and 270 will pretty much do anything you ask of them. The paper ballistics dont mean too much. Proper bullet placement and a good quality bullet will do the job at any reasonable range.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I love my pump rifle but it is not what you want for shots over 200 yards, just not as accurate as a bolt gun.

Get a bolt action rifle in the caliber of your choice and mount a quality scope on it.

I suggest bullets of 165 gr minimum for long range shooting - better retained velocity and less wind drift vs a 150.

If you really think you will be shooting at 400 yards and beyond a .300 Win Mag with 180 gr bullets is hard to beat.

Having said all that a 30/06 is just fine if you zero it in at the ranges you expect to shoot.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
jmoser said:
I love my pump rifle but it is not what you want for shots over 200 yards, just not as accurate as a bolt gun.

Get a bolt action rifle in the caliber of your choice and mount a quality scope on it.

I suggest bullets of 165 gr minimum for long range shooting - better retained velocity and less wind drift vs a 150.

If you really think you will be shooting at 400 yards and beyond a .300 Win Mag with 180 gr bullets is hard to beat.

Having said all that a 30/06 is just fine if you zero it in at the ranges you expect to shoot.
400 yards? a walk in the park for prairie dogs.....deer and antelope? the 14 yr old daughter would slap them silly with a 243............ 165gr? do they make that in a 243 or 25-06? I dont think so?

·
Premium Member
9,383 Posts
New Kid said:
If you check some of the sporting goods stores, maybe Cabela's, and/or some of the shooting magazines, they have computer software for bullet ballistics.
There's some variables that you need to know, most of which a good reloading manual will give you. Muzzle Velocity can be tricky, but most of the posted mv's in the reloading manuals will be close.
Knowing the muzzle velocity, weight and style of the bullet and ballistic coeficient of the bullet, will give you the mathamatical answers to your questions on tragectory and foot pounds of energy at a specific range.
Its all mathamatics. Force of gravity, speed, weight, ballistic coeficient.
Somewhere around here, I've got one of the old software programs. It will work with Windows XP, but not very good. It gives point blank range for both varmints and big game. Also provides a graph on trajectory.
I used the program to show a guy with a 22-250 just how well a 30-06 WOULD shoot at a measured 450 yds a number of years back. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts