Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a respected gun shop in Bay City yesterday and was talking to one of the sales guys there. We got on the subject of barrel/chamber heating. He said that if I shot my 300WSM more than 3 shots A DAY, I'd just be chasing my tail trying to pattern it.:confused: I explained I let the gun cool for 3 minutes between shots, be he said the round is so hot, and it heats up the chamber/barrel so much that only 3 shots a day should be shot. I kinda politely agreed with him :rolleyes: and left the store. Now, I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it and have triangular groups. If the gun was hot, why aren't I getting stringing patterns? Am I crazy? Or is this guy wrong?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
He is full of it. Does the shop start with a "D"?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Total BS. Don't worry about it. Don't shoot till she's red hot, but you're not hurting it doing what you are doing.

What time were you down there last night? The wife and I were out for a ride and were in that area around 7:00-8:00 last night. Showed here one of the spots I walleye fish in the winter (near the YMCA). Even found a almost new Rapala on the shore of the beautiful Saginaw River!!:coolgleam

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was down there about 5pm or so. I don't go there very often, it's a bad place for looking around. I'd rather go to Jay's or Gander Mountain. Too bad there isn't a good gun shop in Midland, since I drive through there every day.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
yup, nothing real cool in Midland by way of gun shops. Ace Hardware downtown still has used and new guns and a real decent ammo supply. The guys who work the counter are 1/2 way knowledgeable. Good thing Jays is not too far one way and Dick Williams the other way.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dick Williams closes before I can get there most days, and Ace Hardware is EXPENSIVE!!!! Dick Williams has THEE BEST prices on gunsmithing though.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
QuakrTrakr said:
Dick Williams closes before I can get there most days, and Ace Hardware is EXPENSIVE!!!! Dick Williams has THEE BEST prices on gunsmithing though.
Same here, true and true. :lol:

Dick Williams quality is real decent too.;)

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
QuakrTrakr said:
I was at a respected gun shop in Bay City yesterday and was talking to one of the sales guys there. We got on the subject of barrel/chamber heating. He said that if I shot my 300WSM more than 3 shots A DAY, I'd just be chasing my tail trying to pattern it.:confused: I explained I let the gun cool for 3 minutes between shots, be he said the round is so hot, and it heats up the chamber/barrel so much that only 3 shots a day should be shot. I kinda politely agreed with him :rolleyes: and left the store. Now, I've shot a couple hundred rounds through it and have triangular groups. If the gun was hot, why aren't I getting stringing patterns? Am I crazy? Or is this guy wrong?
Did you ask him if they could be 3 rapid fire or if they had to be spaced @ precise 8 hr. intervals???? What a retard :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KLR said:
Did you ask him if they could be 3 rapid fire or if they had to be spaced @ precise 8 hr. intervals???? What a retard :rolleyes:
No, I was trying my hardest not to roll my eyes at him. I did think about that after I left though. I'm pretty sure 8 hours is enough time to cool a barrel.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
QuakrTrakr said:
He does not know what he is taking about. With three shot groups 3 to 3 1/2 min between shots and 5 min between each group and you will not wear out your throat or barrel beyond normal expected life of a 300WSM. I don't know who he is but ignorance can be forgiven but stupidity is forever. :D

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
That's funny...the SAAMI max pressure puts the 300 WSM at 65,000, the same as my 270 Win. and I sometimes shoot 50+ at a sitting with some fairly hot loads and get some great groups. Powders must burn hotter in the WSM :lol:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Joe Gun is in Sanford. Next to the tattoo and sex toy place.:eek:

Some people like Joe, some don't.

Meridian Outdoor Center used to be ther, but got bought out and is currently clearancing everything (most of the sporting goods are long gone, tools still left though)

Sanford Sport Shop is there, but doesn't really carry guns. More of a fishing shop.

·
Registered
6,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A buddy bought a Savage 22-250 from Joe Gun. He seemed pretty happy with him. He'll match any price you give him. He just doesn't have much in stock apparently.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
His personality / actions not in "work" setting have soured some people (I have heard).

Glad your buddy got a deal and was happy with Joe.:)

·
Registered
532 Posts
What kind of rifle is it?

·
Registered
532 Posts
OH. :rolleyes:

Ya know I've been looking for one of those in a .308/OD green. Finally got over the fact that I cant find one, and you just have to bring it up. Dang.

Where did you find it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts