Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Launched by BCYC...19fow...harnesses with floaters and crawlers. 1.4mph was the magic number today.

We caught probably 40 fish to keep 15. 6 Drum, couple white bass. One harness came in with a white bass on one hook and a walleye on the second...
Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Attachments

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had some questions...Harnesses were off of 1oz BB's 25-35ft back of boards. Fish were taken on all of them. Bait should probably have been in the 13-15ft range at 1.4mph...as the day progressed and the water clarity improved as the bay settled down, we ran the boards out further from the boat and majority of the fish came on the outter boards. One did hit the harness before we even got the board attached to the line though, that was pretty cool.:cool: We were fishing by 6:15am and had limit around 12:30. Fish seemed to turn off or we weren't on them from 10-12. We had 10 keepers by 10am, but maybe only boated 3-4 non-keepers from 10-12, than all of a sudden it was a chinese fire drill from 12-12:30.

·
Premium Member
29,971 Posts
Had some questions...Harnesses were off of 1oz BB's 25-35ft back of boards. Fish were taken on all of them. Bait should probably have been in the 13-15ft range at 1.4mph...as the day progressed and the water clarity improved as the bay settled down, we ran the boards out further from the boat and majority of the fish came on the outter boards. One did hit the harness before we even got the board attached to the line though, that was pretty cool.:cool: We were fishing by 6:15am and had limit around 12:30. Fish seemed to turn off or we weren't on them from 10-12. We had 10 keepers by 10am, but maybe only boated 3-4 non-keepers from 10-12, than all of a sudden it was a chinese fire drill from 12-12:30.
Thanks for report! and nice job on the fish:) I've noticed that a few times out this year for all day fishing, its been like that also. slows around 10 or so until afternoon and picks back up. Unless your right into an active school.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice Job Nitro. I run a Skeeter and I will fish the Bay soon. How do you get a Nitro to run 1.4mph? I can not get my boat to run that slow. I was thinking pitching a drift sock. How to slow things down?

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
nice job nitro. I run a skeeter and i will fish the bay soon. How do you get a nitro to run 1.4mph? I can not get my boat to run that slow. I was thinking pitching a drift sock. How to slow things down?
drift socks / or trolling plate or the famous 5gal bucket out the back with holes drilled thru it..: good luck and tightlines.....spanks

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
drift socks / or trolling plate or the famous 5gal bucket out the back with holes drilled thru it..: good luck and tightlines.....spanks

Or, take a boat that can do it easier:D

We were on a 17ft Crestliner with a 4-stroke 70hp Yamaha. It is much more trolling friendly than my Nitro with a 225hp. We did still have a sock out to help control speed when it was windy. I'll post some pictures of our setup in a few minutes.

I wouldn't ever troll with my 225 Opti personally. I have my boat for sale for this very reason, so I can buy something that is more suitable for trolling, like a Skeeter or Ranger deep V multi-species...or maybe even a center console or dual console glass boat, anything that can also have a kicker motor and handle more rough conditions...jury is still out. Finally have a guy coming to look at my boat on Sunday, so we will see what happens. It's a tough market to sell higher end boats unless you want to literally give them away for half price of market value. I had one guy tell me I was crazy asking for over $20k for my boat and offered me $12k:lol:.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And one pic of the sunrise...probably the best part of the trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
i will make the Skeeter work with a sock or 5 gallon bucket. my console laurance gps went down last year so i am down to the front humminbird unit up front. I will not be using the front humminbird sonar trolling, but it will navigate me just fine. So, i want to make my Skeeter work. 250 hp. just wants to troll to fast. I will slow it down, see if I can troll some eyes up.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A sock and/or a "happy troller" plate will get it down slow enough. With nothing, I can't get my Nitro below 3mph. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts