Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 gallon water (16 cups )----1 cup kosher salt----2 1/2 cups vinegar ----boil for 3 minutes. let cool 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spices-------1/2 bunch of dill ----1 garlic clove 3 days in the basement ----- then put them in the fridge these are just like the kosher dill pickles you buy in the store.----just p m me let me know how you like them-------------------------------------by talon--------------------------------------

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Mixed Pickling Spices? What does that consist of or is it something you can just get a container of in the spice section at the store?

I got a package of Mrs. Wages bread and butters to try. Goti t last year and then we had the great cucumber disaster of 2006 and never got the chance to make it.

·
Registered
797 Posts
^^^ They have it at kroger I think its Mustard seeds, peppercorns, bay leaf, Minced garlic and one more..............I cant remember.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
There is also Allspice in some mixed pickling spices. It seems like there are two common blends of mixed spices. The one that I prefer has a sweeter smell to it when the package is opened. The other blend is more "sour" as is smelling like it would be perfect for making the "Sauer Pickles" or traditional Kosher Pickles or for adding a bit of zing to a sauerkraut.

If you make a lot of pickles you might want to consider buying the pickling spice mix in bulk at the Detroit Eastern Market or at some bulk food stores.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Cool thanks guys, I'll check for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Anyone tried Talons recipe? What did you store them in? I remember my parents used to make a pickel recipe using a crock and lettig them sit for about a week. I think they would skim the top off every few days? I remeber they where good!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I make sauerkraut in a crock but for something like this recipe a food grade plastic bucket should do the job.

Do not put the lid on. But, keep the pickles submerged and maybe have a plate on top of them with something heavy on the plate. Just loosely put the lid on the bucket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts