Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After thinking I was fishing the north west rivers this weekend and plans going back and fourth I found myself heading to oscoda. I was attempting 3 all nighters with hopes of some fish.

I fished friday mourning from 2 am til 11 am.

Saturday mourning from 5 PM til 9:30-10 am

Sunday from 7 pm til 8:30 am

Friday mourning I ended with the skunk. Had 2 hits all night and they caught me sleeping.

Fri night-saturday mourning I had 6 hits. The best hits caught me at my worst. My 5 th hit was under a boat that I was trying to advoid. Didn't know if I had the a fish or the boat. My 6th hit wasaround sunrise. Right after I set the hook, some kids 10 feet away from me somehow got his lure tangle at the end of my line. Skunked again. I was getting discourage but people kept giving me encouraement. I also met troutman that mournin which was sorta unexpected ut was nice meeting you. I also met stinky. Thanks guys

Saturday night there was a horrible wind from the south east making fishing very hard. I decided it was time to fish the north pier and am glad I did. I finally had the oppurtunity to meet Ausable steelhead. He limeted out on salmon. I was doing horrible but around 4:10 I finally hooked into a 7 lb king that thought he was a 21 lb bruiser. Pulling out tons of line. I landed him. Later at sunrise I hooked another king but I not just unfolded. So I wen t1-2.

It was nice meeting you jon and your brother. I might fish the pier the saturday night of the 21 if your going.

I also met walleyehog later that night making the total meeting for michigan-sportsman 4.

All in all, it was a great weekend.

Off to fish the mo and PM this weekend but I gotta hit it. My room mate wants his computer back
:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
here are a few things that may increase your hook ups according to my limited experience . run some fireline no stretch youll feel everything a solid hook set! If the kings are flopping up top try a j-13 rapala chartruse color no chrome on it the old style one fished VERY SLOW with a very consistant retrieve speed . put some anice on your baits lube em up. try a luhr jensen loco spoon size 4 these spoons kick butt and will outfish a krocodile 5 to 1. these need to be special ordered in most cases if you are lucky you might find them buy all of them! I I have 30 on order right now. cast your spoon out let it hit bottom reel in very SLOW a lot of these kings are on the bottom. A hit might be a salmon actually head butting your lure with side of their head wich means you might be retrieving too fast or you might not feel your bait running right they might be nosing the lure. The most important thing is the speed and consistancy of your retrieve. Me and my buddy fish with 10 foot custom fast action rods if you feel anything weird set the hook with all you got a big upward sweep rip their heads off and then let em run. Any comments are appreciated from anyone or tips on baits presentation etc.. If you choose to utilize any of the above suggestions please post your results.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi,
I use Glow Bombers,Glow Smithwicks,Glow Poking Spoons,Silver Streak Glow Mag Spoons.I have found after Casting for Salmon at Lexington,Port Sanilac,Harbor Beach,Thunder River,Ocqueoc River and Swan Bay(my favorite) at Rogers City is to reel as slow as you can.I use old Garcia 300s and the drag doesn't fail.I have many other reels but they are alot faster.

·
Super Moderator
9,775 Posts
Hey, shouldn't you be studying or chasing girls around campus.:D And what are you doing driving across the state for kings when you have so many near you. The Betsie, Frankfort, BM and the PM are within your grasp.

Glad you got one but how does your room mate like that king in your dorm?:p

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Pat,
Duncan was coming up and wanted to fish oscoda. I tried to get him to fish PM and so but he didn't want to. I am fishing there this week. Plus, the river within a mile just started producing salmon where it's fishable.

Also, I have pics to this weekend but can't get my computer working with internet

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I'll be on the piers till the first week of October. I've tried Loco's, and they don't seem any better than anything else, but I do agree on the sloooow retrieve, it works great. I let my spoon drop to the bottom sometimes, but when using a smaller, lighter spoon, just throw out, and begin reeling very slow, walleye style, and get ready. Stel, you did fine to me, just didn't get the hooks in the second one, you'll get the hang of it after a few more hook-ups, see ya up there. By the way, I hit two this morning in 2.5 hrs fishing time, you know what spoon:D , it's picking up alittle. Also seen one in the river moving through the HB's, so they're coming.

·
Registered
45 Posts
this is great it looks like we are getting somewhere as far as sharing info. The locos have to be size # 4 the bigger ones dont do squat and the smaller ones can be effective but have a limited casting distance. The preffered loco is the chrome one that has been adorned with glow tape on one side. I also have recieved my order of smelly jelly today from California 1 shrimp 1 anchovy 1 sardine and 1 herring liquid. these are very popular on the west coast and I will try them out tonight. I also have some menhaden oil . I am also thinking abought mashing some eggs and dipping the spoon in that to see what happens. I need to pop my king cherry first. BTW I am fishing in wisconsin and if you see me on the joe @ berrien later in the year I am the guy field stripping my butts and putting them in my pocket . I have never tryed the barramundi mauler any comments ????? the hit the hook set the head shake and the battle come on I dare you.:eek:

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
mark8, I bought a size 3, and a size 2(pretty small), both glo-green, will see what happens with them this weekend:D . Stelmon, I'll be doing the usual all-nighter, the fish will be in thicker than ***** by then, so expect multiple hook-ups, the mauler bite will be in full swing, both piers will be lined up, and there will be double the amount of boats you seen last weekend, but you'll hook several kings, see you there man:D !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts