Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man o man these picture will do these gills no justice!! scottyhoover and i really just hoped to get my boat wet and get everything squared away. we hoped to drift for some crappie. we didnt expect to fish but a few hours.. well we motored up into a small pond off the larger lake and absolutely SLAYED some gills. every cast in the shallows on any bait waxies crawlers and jigs. fish were everywhere swirlin the surface soaking in the warmth in the sandy shallows. we fished off a dropoff right near shore that went fom 0-20 FOW in 20 yards or so. the gills were stacked we caught many 9-10 inchers and a few pushing 3/4 of a pound. this is the earliest i've made it on softwater to fish and man i was quite suprised cant wait to get out and give it another try

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Now That's Some Great Eatin'! GREAT JOB GUYS!!......Patch

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Looks like you had a great time. Hope you can get out again soon. I took the kids today and we did great as well with waxies and worms in shallow water.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ALSO HAD A GOOD DAY FISHING THE CANELS OF PORTAGE LAKE
SLAYED THE BLUE GILLS AND A FEW CRAPPIE, IT WAS A BLAST.
USED ULTRA LITE WITH WHITE AND PINK TEAR DROPS AND WAX WORMS. WHAT A GREAT TIME. I KNOW IT WILL GET EVAN BETER
AS THE WATER WARMS UP. NEXT WEEK SHOULD BE GREAT!

LET THE CANELS FILL WITH FISH!!!

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
You know how Gilligan's Island was only supposed to be a 3 hour tour? Well we were only supposed to go shake down the boat stuff and we figured the fishing would be slow. Needless to say it was almost dark when we got back to the launch. I still can't believe the fish were that active in water that is still pretty cold. I'm exhausted from bluegill fishing, if you can imagine that. We gotta start holding those bluegill square to the camera so they look like the hogs they really were. Don't put your ice jigs away yet, they come in real handy.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Looks like I'll have to try some of my favorite panfish honey holes this week...Nice catch guys!!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Nice mess of fish fellas that had to of been a blast, I use my ice jigs all year long tipped with waxey & spikes.
only time I use regular hooks is when I'm drifting and then I use blood red hooks.
stay with it the best is yet to come.

A/K/A Ming Ming :cool:

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forgot to mention, U of M rules!! :D (notice my hat)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts