Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I went out on thankgiving around 10 a.m. to push some small chunks of wood before dinner.

I was pushing the first section to him and a 7 point and 4 does jumped up and took of his way. About 10 minutes later I heard him shoot and start yelling. I ran up there and he informed me that those deer had gotten by him but then a 3 point came out and he thinks he hit it. We hurried to where he thought it was and found some blood on the fresh snow. The chase was on 3 and a half hours later we caught up to him and finished him off. We had jumped him out of his bed about 12 times but without knowing where he had hit it and with it snowing so hard I was afraid that we would loose his tracks and he would be gone.
We pushed on with me on his tracks and my buddy 20 yards to the side in case he jumped up ahead of us. Finally after getting turned around in the swamp, being 2 hours late for dinner and almost getting divorced over it, he jumped up 30 yards ahead of us and my buddy shot and dropped him. We were almost 2 miles from my buddy's house, both soaking wet and cold but we were persistant and finished the job we had started when my buddy pulled the trigger.

It was only his 2nd buck and it was not huge but it was definately one of my most rewarding hunts to be a part of.

The blood in the snow and being back in the woods that far just the two of us and the buck it was like something out of a book, and it even had a happy ending.

A memory I will always remember and a lesson learned to never give up on a wounded animal.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I can't tell you how important it is to me that people exhaust themselves to recover a wounded animal they shot. As difficult and painful it is, one must not relent.

A hunter may think it is a futile task tracking a wounded animal at times due to the animals energetic reaction. If it is snowing or raining and/or snow and rain are moving in - cancel your evening plans, regardless of the lack of impact evidence. Most times you know approximately where the animal was hit. You need to also learn that whitetails may not even act as though they were hit. They are very amazing die hard animals that can run for huge distances on adrenaline alone with their heart shot out. What do you think they will do on a gut shot???

People not tracking their wounded animals are simply SLOB HUNTERS and they have no respect or compassion for much of anything. How can anyone live with themselves knowing they possibly caused a beautiful animal unecessary agony and misery likely ending in a painful death. I don't need to go through the scenario's of what can happen to a whitetail after someone makes a bad shot only to leave them. TRACK YOUR ANIMALS IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE!

Nice job Lil' Tanker!!! I hope your wives understand that you guys did something commendable.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not me Ryan my buddy, I was just assisting. I pushed a 7 point to my father in law the next day and he missed it.

I am back to goose hunting now until smokepole season.

You , your brother and dad need to come over and hang some honkers with us it is a blast.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Good to hear it was recovered. Sorry to preach, but tell him next time not to start yelling or chasing that buck, but to let it die and you won't end up trapsing over that distance.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Banditto said:
Good to hear it was recovered. Sorry to preach, but tell him next time not to start yelling or chasing that buck, but to let it die and you won't end up trapsing over that distance.
I assume you missed the part about it snowing as they were tracking.

A question for Lil'Tanker- where did that first shot hit?

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
depending on how wet the snow was...

but ya I read that. Also killed 20+ deer in snow and the blood almost always bleeds out and spreads so you can see it in the snow. Anyway that is my experience with it. I just think it is better to let it die rather than chase it down.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Great job on the recovery. Unlike others though my question is was the der walking, Standing or running when he shot. If running maybe mention to him not to shoot at running animals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts