Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made a few trips Ohio/Erie last year and there was no problem riding two up on a atv- COs were present.Went to the Thames this year and asked locals about going out on the bay two up on a atv, and they said it was ok if both riders were wearing helmets. Are they letting riders slide on the Saginaw Bay or ticketing.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
its all at the discression of the DNR officer.
I've never had a problem....
ATV needs to have ORV sticker and both of us had helmets.
Best I can tell you.
Take your time, have your ID and fishing license
and you should be good to go.

Personally, I've seen enough guys riding 2 up and having
a 3rd guy on the front rack to know its totally at up to the CO.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Just pull them in a sled behind you....no helmet needed although I would wear one anyhow,lol. We do two up all the time and have never had a problem as long as you have helmets on and an orv sticker. In fact just last Sunday their were two DNR trucks checking everyone at the selfridge launch on lsc when they came in off the ice. They only asked for orv sticker, not a fishing license or anything else.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Had a CO tell me once that if the ORV wasn't manufactured as a 2-up, it shouldn't be used as one. No ticket issued, just a friendly reminder. In other words, I guess, It's up to the CO. Go figure........

·
Registered
309 Posts
Most of the time when the CO's write a ticket for riding 2 people on a quad the driver was driving recklessly or doing something else wrong already. Like most have said wear your helmets and have your license and orv sticker and you should be fine but don't get upset if you do get a ticket anyway your still breaking the law and all CO's are different

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
Discussed many times. If it is not a designed two up machine it is ILLEGAL to ride 2. No if ands or butts. The law is the law, when they enforce it is up to the Co's.

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Yes, it is against the law. I personally have not seen it enforced on the bay, I have seen the helmet law enforced. Just last Sunday an officer was checking ORV stickers at Linwood, he did not have a problem with a 1-up machine with 3 on it, all had helmets.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Commo sense 101:

Driving on 2 wheels with passenger 70 mph on expressway = LEGAL
Driving on 4 wheels alone below 30mph on wide open bay = NOT LEGAL

What am I missing?

Also : How much of the ORV sticker money goes to maintenance on frozen water??

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased an ATV this summer and went to the DNR post in Bay City to ask about this exact issue. The gentleman I spoke with is one of the patrolling officers on the bay in the winter.

He said that he personally wouldn't write a ticket for two people on a one person ATV heading out on the bay to fish, as long as they were driving safely, wearing helmets, and the ATV had its ORV sticker.

He also said that the other officers would most likely do the same, but it is illegal and he can't guarantee no ticket.

I drive a 1-up machine, and bring my son with me. I installed a backrest on the back-rack, and put handles beside him to make it safer, but it is technically still illegal.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussed many times. If it is not a designed two up machine it is ILLEGAL to ride 2. No if ands or butts. The law is the law, when they enforce it is up to the Co's.
Yep. I seen a lot of them Saturday. On the bay. A guy we were fishing with didn't have an orv sticker. Got a warning. My luck isn't that good. I try to be legal. :(r

1 - 11 of 11 Posts