Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from hunting in area K..Sunday, Monday, Tues, and Wednesday. It was a VERY frustrating experience. Weather, (Sunday was O K) impacted the hunt. Rain, wind and temps in the high 30's low 40's was the real issue, I think. We traveled 40 miles of the back roads of the area, checking out open areas....stopping to call frequently will no sightings or responses to the calls. I am curious if anyone else had this experience: TOTAL SHUTDOWN. In checking with the DNR and NWTF I understand that if temps drop below 50 degrees this time of year the turkeys revert back to their winter mode. Flock together and interest in mating drops off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I hunted Manistee National Forest last year and had the same experience. We hiked and drove all over the place and the only gobble we got was from a few birds we looped around on that we saw in some guy's yard that backed up to public land. Hunting the big woods is fun and beautiful but I felt like we were looking for a needle in a haystack. I talked to a few DNR guys in the area and they said most of the birds will be on private or close to private. Certainly they are in the timber too but if you are playing the odds I would be looking at public that backs up to private (especially ag land). We had wonderful camping and hiking but I'm not in a hurry to head back there for Turkey (I probably will again though lol).

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
I just returned from hunting in area K..Sunday, Monday, Tues, and Wednesday. It was a VERY frustrating experience. Weather, (Sunday was O K) impacted the hunt. Rain, wind and temps in the high 30's low 40's was the real issue, I think. We traveled 40 miles of the back roads of the area, checking out open areas....stopping to call frequently will no sightings or responses to the calls. I am curious if anyone else had this experience: TOTAL SHUTDOWN. In checking with the DNR and NWTF I understand that if temps drop below 50 degrees this time of year the turkeys revert back to their winter mode. Flock together and interest in mating drops off.
I'm in area J and there's been nothing.
Two weeks ago I would have flocks coming through, nothing with much of a beard but at least they were turkeys, I could watch them from the house.
I'd find tracks in other areas in the hard pack snow, and everything dried up.
I have 3 camera out in areas that I have seen them in the past and finally Monday I got a couple of pics, so I sat and stalked Tuesday and nothing.
I haven't heard one gobble all year.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Seen lots of turkeys in GT County. Saw five jakes harassing a hen yesterday out scouting on my side by side. Saw one shooter tom last weekend on some state land by Fife Lake. Most of what I'm seeing is in the pines, not around oaks. In Antrim county, they're always on private ag. Same with Leelanau.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
Seen lots of turkeys in GT County. Saw five jakes harassing a hen yesterday out scouting on my side by side. Saw one shooter tom last weekend on some state land by Fife Lake. Most of what I'm seeing is in the pines, not around oaks. In Antrim county, they're always on private ag. Same with Leelanau.
That's where my camera picked them up a couple of days ago, heading into some pines.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
That's where my camera picked them up a couple of days ago, heading into some pines.
A few years ago we had weather like this. I shot a nice tom in a clearing next to a cedar swamp. I'm thinking they stick to the thermal cover during the day if it's cold, rainy, and windy. If it's warm, they'll be in more open areas. At least that's my experience.

·
Banned
19,364 Posts
A few years ago we had weather like this. I shot a nice tom in a clearing next to a cedar swamp. I'm thinking they stick to the thermal cover during the day if it's cold, rainy, and windy. If it's warm, they'll be in more open areas. At least that's my experience.
I'm going to sit around watching pines tomorrow, after that forget it, it's fishing season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.