Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think?

I am looking at a new rifle to fill a niche in my gun collection. Looking for something that is mild recoiling, flat shooting, and capable of taking deer sized game out to 200yrds. i also want to use this rifle/chambering as a paper puncher for the 200yrd range at the gun club. A mild recoiling set-up is pretty important as I am not interested in getting beat up during long range sessions.
I really like the .260 Rem, but there just doesn't seem to be hardly any factory rifles chambered in this round other than the Rem model 7 and Kimber 84m. Not sure why but i prefer a 24" barrel over the 22 inch factory offerings.
For some reason, I dont know why, The .257 Roberts has my attention. I know remington made a special 700 CDL SF Limited edition rifle this year in the .257 chambering. I really like the looks of the gun, just dont know if it is still available to order.

Let me know what you guys think. I do hand load so Factory ammo availability is not a concern.

Thanks for all your opinions.
Jeff

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'd get a Quarter Bore.
I have a .257 Ackley Improved but I'd take a hard look at the .257 Weatherby.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Since you load, that's a tough choice, all are good rounds IMO. For me it would probably depend more on what rifles were available in what you listed, obviously most are going to be in the 25-06 or 7-08. I like to be different so I myself would lean 260 or 257 Rob. Another to consider is Savage is currently offering the 250 Savage in their Classic Hunter series.

·
Registered
792 Posts
buy a savage and a barrel wrench and a few tools, and you could have a serious shooter for probably a lot less than you think...

I would go with the 7mm-08 also.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you load, that's a tough choice, all are good rounds IMO. For me it would probably depend more on what rifles were available in what you listed, obviously most are going to be in the 25-06 or 7-08. I like to be different so I myself would lean 260 or 257 Rob. Another to consider is Savage is currently offering the 250 Savage in their Classic Hunter series.
Thanks guys...

M1... yeah I know.. I am right there with you. I like to be different as well. Like I said, the 260 rem looks very nice ballistically but there just arent alot of factory rifles chambered in that round. The Kimber and the model 7 Remington are about all and I just checked the remington site and the Model 7 in 260 rem is a 20inch barrel. Yeah, it is a compact gun, but I really dont have a need for a compact rifle. Looking for something with 22" or better yet 24 " barrel.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
The 250 Savage is a great classic round, my favorite 0of the above though has to be the 25-06, i have an older Ruger M77 in 25-06 and that thing is the bee knees on prairie dogs at 300 yards with 85 gr hollow points. I would even use it on Elk with a 115 gr barnes TSX. Les

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Figures you'd say that Rusty. ;)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I went through this same scenerio afew years back. My choice was the Remington 700 Mountain in 25-06. I have yet to squeeze the trigger twice on a Whitetail (which is all that I have hunted with it so far). I do handload and I will be changing the trigger to a Timney this year. I mounted a Leupold 4.5 to 14 and is a tack driver at the 200 yrd range at our club. The choices of bullets in weight and materials is enormous. FRANK

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
.257 Bob is a great caliber, not too difficult to find vintage bolt guns in great shape on Gunbroker in that caliber, as well as .250 Savage and 6x55 swede. The Swede is another .26 caliber that is ballistically almost identical to .260 Remington and was chambered in some commercial guns in the past. I'd also look at 7mm-08 or .25-06, both great cartridges. I've got rifles in .250 sav, .260 Rem, 7mm-08 & .243 and handload for all of them. All are great whitetail rounds.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Musnter is dead on, other than that wimpy 243. :lol:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I shoot Ruger M77 in 260 Rem, talk about low recoil and flat shooting performance :coolgleam My brothers 11 yr old son shot a 1.5 in group at 100 yd the first time he shot a center fire gun. When I asked him about the recoil he said " huh not bad " I shoot that gun better than any of my other guns. I think it's because it's such a joy to shoot that I seldom go to the range without taking it.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
trying to research more about each caliber listed above let me to find this claim on the internet regarding the 7mm-08. This is a pretty impressive claim.

"Shoots flatter than the 30-06 Springfield!
100 yard energy is four times greater than a 44 Magnum revolver!
Recoil is a little more than a 243 Winchester!
Tack driving accuracy is inherited from the 308 Winchester!
Point blank range is over 300 yards (+/- three inches!
Cheap to reload and brass last longer than most!
Available in lightweight short action rifles!
Versitile! From varmits to moose!"

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I have had .257 roberts and 25-06s. Both did the job- but did not really impress me with the performance. Do not get me wrong- dead deer were the results. But I did seem to have more tracking work...

Since I have a .308, 30-06 and .270... I have been thinking that the 7mm08 or 7 x 57 would be a nice addition. So I guess from your list- I would pick the 7mm08...

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
trying to research more about each caliber listed above let me to find this claim on the internet regarding the 7mm-08. This is a pretty impressive claim.

"Shoots flatter than the 30-06 Springfield!
100 yard energy is four times greater than a 44 Magnum revolver!
Recoil is a little more than a 243 Winchester!
Tack driving accuracy is inherited from the 308 Winchester!
Point blank range is over 300 yards (+/- three inches!
Cheap to reload and brass last longer than most!
Available in lightweight short action rifles!
Versitile! From varmits to moose!"
The same claim also works for the rest of your selections (other than the 308 and short action reference).

When compared ballistically, the 25-06, 260 and 7-08 are basically the same. Go to Remington's site and compare the ballistics with a 120gr bullet in each.. You can handload the 257 to the same levels..

·
Trophy Husband
2,948 Posts
I really enjoy the versatility of my 7mm-08. Superb accuracy, mild recoil and when loaded with 160 grain Barnes X bullets it has done well for me on elk out west.

That said I got a good education recently regarding the capability of the 260. I was not all that familiar with it but learned it is quite a round to say the least. My long time hunting buddy in Wyoming shoots a custom 260 in long range, "Steel Safari" matches held in New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming. According to him the 260 has surpassed the 300 mag in popularity amongst the competitors. They shoot 10" steel plates out to 1000 yards. Loaded with a 140 grain berger bullet at nearly 3000 fps its phenominal BC allows it to retain more energy past 700 yards than a 168 grain match bullet from a .300. I watched this year as he ranged a bedded mulie at 530 yards across a cut bean field, dialed in the range, lamented that it wasn't farther away and then placed a single round through the boiler room. He made it look easy but attributed much of it to the round.

I know your not doing any of this with your gun but sometimes it is nice to know what else the round is being used for.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts