Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has a Savage Model 99 much like this one in .250 caliber.

We believe this gun to be pre 1965 because it still has the rotary magizine instead of a clip. Well, after a rainy opening day he forgot to take it out of the case after the long drive home and it's covered in rust, including the rotary magizine that has completely locked up on him.

Can anyone reccomend a decent gunsmith on the Lansing area that would go through the gun with a fine tooth comb? I guess he's basically looking for somebody to "tune up " the gun for him.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Oh....that hurt to read that post! Thats a great old rifle! I don't know of any good smiths, but good luck with your search! Get that gun back in good condition!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
GVSUKUSH-
It seems it's very hard to find a good gunsmith in the Lansing-Grand Rapids area. I moved to Lansing from the Flint area a few years ago and am very unimpressed with all the so-called gunstores/gunsmiths of the area. If you want the best gunsmith (that I believe in Michigan) go to Dick Williams in Saginaw. He is by far the best i've seen around. It is well worth the trip. Especially with that old gem of a 99. I collect model 99's and your father is a very lucky man to own such a rifle in .250 savage. They are extremely hard to come by in that caliber, especially if it's a takedown model.Take care of her, and never sell it!!!!! I've seen quite a few of the .250 savage barreled model 99's command almost $1000.00 in good shape. Good luck!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jayzbird said:
GVSUKUSH-
It seems it's very hard to find a good gunsmith in the Lansing-Grand Rapids area. I moved to Lansing from the Flint area a few years ago and am very unimpressed with all the so-called gunstores/gunsmiths of the area. If you want the best gunsmith (that I believe in Michigan) go to Dick Williams in Saginaw. He is by far the best i've seen around. It is well worth the trip. Especially with that old gem of a 99. I collect model 99's and your father is a very lucky man to own such a rifle in .250 savage. They are extremely hard to come by in that caliber, especially if it's a takedown model.Take care of her, and never sell it!!!!! I've seen quite a few of the .250 savage barreled model 99's command almost $1000.00 in good shape. Good luck!!!!!!
It's in great shape, except it's tapped for a scope, something I would've never done, and of course the rust now :rolleyes: . I'd love to trade him for my 30-30, that savage is a flat shooting, accurate gun. He doesn't want to shoot it again until he gets someone to clean it up for him.

·
Registered
397 Posts
get it fixed and back in the woods, In my opinion the 99 savage is the [email protected] when it comes to deer rifles. I have a .308 and a old 300 both model 99s I dont hunt with the 300, but the .308 has made it out for about 20 seasons.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There's a gunsmith just outside of Mason by the name of Dan Snapp that does excellent work. While I have only had him do work for me on one occassion, my father has had him do all kinds of work for him in the past and swears by him. I don't know his number off the top of my head, but he's in the phone book - I believe he lives on bond road. I don't think he adverstises, because he keeps busy enough by word of mouth. You might want to give him a try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts