Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend me a good bullet for the .25-06 for deer, i do handload just have no experience with smaller calibers. Load will be minimum with low recoil for my girlfriend. I was think Nosler Partition but they are $$$$ I usually shoot hornady interlocks in my .280 but not sure how they will perform in a smaller cal??? Any suggestions....

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Hornady interlocks will be just fine. I'm loading .257 dia 100 gr. Nosler solid base boatails in my .250 savage handloads, the same bullet would certainly work in the .25-06, although I would probably bump it up to 120 grains for the 25-06. If you are going to be taking primarily short range shots I would stay away from ballistic tips or the Hornady equivalent, thereof.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I would warn against getting too tough of a bullet seeing that you are planning on loading them on the lite side. Any pointed soft point would work fine, depends on how much you want to spend.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
You don't need super premiums for deer and IMO, the best choice for them are SP's. The Hornady's will work great. I've gotten great accuracy from them in out 270's. Another is the Sierra Pro Hunters, the 117 grainers. We've take quite a few deer with them with excellent results. I've gotten great accuracy from both and they aren't too expensive. The Partitions are a great bullet too and would work great. Pick some up and see what your rifle likes.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
MasterBlaster, I saw that you had noted "$$$$" up there on bullet selection.

I handload for a .257weatherby mag and use the Sierra GameKings. They are very, very accurate and could do the same for your little '06 when you find the right load for it.

The bullet has performed well for me. If you dont push the bullet too fast....I send them out at 3500fps....and hit something standing right next to you, that bullet should not only hit the target (with your help) but will penetrate and mushroom nicely.

I took an 8pt buck at a lasered 400yds this past fall. Heart shot, it ran about 70yds. The bullet took out ribs on both sides, destroyed the shoulder joint and came to rest just under the hide......at 400yds, that's not too bad.

You want to know the best part?? The cost. Jay's has them for 22.00 the 100!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I'll also say the Hornady Interlock in 120 would be about ideal. If you want cheaper yet, buy the 120 Remington Core Lokt SP's, they will work just fine under your perimeters. I love the NP, but they probably aren't needed in this case, but make a wicked deer load when loaded to potential.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I have an uncle that put a lot of venison in the freezer with the 120 gr corelokts.

I've only shot one deer with the 25-06 and I used the lighter core lokt. 100 gr maybe? Worked great.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Yep the core lokts are another good one. I've gotten some good accuracy out of them as well. Have you seen the price of them lately compared to what I used to get them as components? Glad I bought several hundred a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Yep the core lokts are another good one. I've gotten some good accuracy out of them as well. Have you seen the price of them lately compared to what I used to get them as components? Glad I bought several hundred a few years ago.
Last time I purchased some for my .270, they were $10 ($9.99 to be exact!) for a box of 100....but that was a few years back, probably a bit more today!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, shots will be primarily short, western u.p. is where I hunt and the longest shot any of our group has ever gotten was 120 yards, the norm is in the 30 to 50 yard range. Just wasn't sure about what bullet to use being it is the first small caliber rifle I have, I was thinking about the 120 interlock but I notice that one is of hollow point design, not their normal soft point, maybe a 120 speer hot-cor is what I should try....

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Yes, shots will be primarily short, western u.p. is where I hunt and the longest shot any of our group has ever gotten was 120 yards, the norm is in the 30 to 50 yard range. Just wasn't sure about what bullet to use being it is the first small caliber rifle I have, I was thinking about the 120 interlock but I notice that one is of hollow point design, not their normal soft point, maybe a 120 speer hot-cor is what I should try....
One of my ballistics tables is showing the 117 (no listing for 120's) 2990-3110fps at the muzzle. The heavier bullet will help with bullet integrity at those closer ranges you mentioned.....especially if you load as light as you say.

If it were me, I'd not load that too light and just let that little 120gr pill do it's damage with good shot placement. You want two holes in that buck for tracking if needed.

Recoil on my .257Roy even at magnum velocity is really quite light....comparable to the .270win.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Last time I purchased some for my .270, they were $10 ($9.99 to be exact!) for a box of 100....but that was a few years back, probably a bit more today!!
I bought some 200 grn RN for a 35 Rem and 358 Win (if I remember right) for about $13.99/100 maybe a year and a half ago from Midway. The same ones are now $31.49. I wish I'd bought more...

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
wether the 25-06 Rem or 257 Weatherby mag. Pull the trigger and the recieving end drops at impact!:lol: My fav hunting rounds..257s !!

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I bought some 200 grn RN for a 35 Rem and 358 Win (if I remember right) for about $13.99/100 maybe a year and a half ago from Midway. The same ones are now $31.49. I wish I'd bought more...
Holy Mother........... Man, I have not looked at componants much lately. I knew they went up a good bit, but not more than doubled. Should've stocked up as well I guess....

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Well I just checked Cabelas for giggles. Those same 130gr .270 core lokts are now $18.99/100 so pretty much doubled. Just an fyi, the .25 Sierra pro hunter in 117gr is $22.99/100 and the Sierra Game King 120gr is $24.99/100.

Glad I never went with the .30-378 I wanted at one point. $251.99/100 just for the brass...still cheaper than loaded ammo at the end of the day but still.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts