Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 80lb 24v Terrova today, to replace my 12v 55lb powerdrive. I have a double battery tray coming in the mail and two new trolling motor batteries. I don't have the money for a onboard charging system right now. When this is installed and used can I hook a seperate charger to each battery with no problems. Or do I have to unhook my wires from each battery to charge? I have two battery chargers so charging won't be a issue, just would be nice to know if it is safe. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Jaw Breaker said:
I just ordered a 80lb 24v Terrova today, to replace my 12v 55lb powerdrive. I have a double battery tray coming in the mail and two new trolling motor batteries. I don't have the money for a onboard charging system right now. When this is installed and used can I hook a seperate charger to each battery with no problems. Or do I have to unhook my wires from each battery to charge? I have two battery chargers so charging won't be a issue, just would be nice to know if it is safe. Thanks.
I had a 12 ---24 on my boat before. I had a problem making the 24 work so I called a (SMART) friend and he came over. Got it done and he said I can just plug my charger on 1 batt. at a time or if I have 2 Batt. chargers I can put one on each Batt. so either way will work.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Jaw Breaker said:
I don't have the money for a onboard charging system right now. When this is installed and used can I hook a seperate charger to each battery with no problems. Or do I have to unhook my wires from each battery to charge? Thanks.
Jaw Breaker,
If and when you do get an onboard charger, you will need a 3 bank charger.
One leg will go to the starting batery and one to eadh trolling battery.
This is the way they are connected, so putting a charger on each tolling battery now won't hurt anything. ;)
Rich

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
When you do get around to a charge system, I highly recommend looking at the StayNCharge system vs a 3 bank onboard. Same price range but much more flexible. Nice to have the batteries charged or nearly charged before the boat hits the garage after a trip.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
brdhntr said:
When you do get around to a charge system, I highly recommend looking at the StayNCharge system vs a 3 bank onboard. Same price range but much more flexible. Nice to have the batteries charged or nearly charged before the boat hits the garage after a trip.
StayNCharge
Here's a link to the StayNCharge
Sounds like a good idea, but what happens when you only live 7 miles to the ramp. One way trip takes about 15 minutes in busy traffic.
Not too good when it takes 2 hours to charge the batteries.
Rich

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
FishTales said:
StayNCharge
Here's a link to the StayNCharge
Sounds like a good idea, but what happens when you only live 7 miles to the ramp. One way trip takes about 15 minutes in busy traffic.
Not too good when it takes 2 hours to charge the batteries.
Rich
Simple, I clip my $20.00 auto charger to the box and it charges all three the rest of the way up. The box regulates the charge so the batteries get just what they need. Living in Canton and launching from Ecorse and Sterling, I don't need much time on the charger in the garage. Only reason I need it at all is that I use the electric as my main source of power when handlining and trolling, and that drains the batteries pretty good. If I only jig or drift, don't need any hookup at home. Your batteries will last longer, too, because they are not sitting as long in a discharged state. This system worked great for me last year on vacation in Evart. My in-laws cottage doesn't have a convenient place to charge batteries without 150' of cord. Fishing in Ludington, I was fully charged back up by the time I got back to the cottage.

Also, need to remember that every time you start up the main engine to move position, start a new drift(jigging), or head back to shore, you are charging those batteries. When using this system, I have yet to have dropped my batteries below 3/4 charge while jigging. Even with all the wind we have.

That's the reason I like it so well. All the advantages of a 3 (or 4 if you have 36 volt setup) bank charge, plus charging while running in the boat and driving home, for the price of a good 3 bank charger that only works if you can plug it into an outlet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts