1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Ammo or gun

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Sportsman's warehouse is pretty stocked up on factory loaded .243 ammo. They have some bullets also but limited for sure. I buy all my bullets and brass online. Definitely the best prices are available online. Bluecollar reloading, OTM tactical and powder valley are my "Go Too" component dealers.

·
Premium Member
16,713 Posts
I have been ordering ammo online, have only bought 80 rounds in store since 2020. Ammo does seem to be becoming more available and coming back to earth in price, but slowly.

I just found some 220gr for my 30.06 a couple weeks ago, limit of 2 for $34 I think. Not terrible, but I haven't seen those in YEARS. I had 4 rounds left, but now I have more! Them suckers are great for sub 100yds when you just gotta be able to see through the deer after the shot. Lol

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I have been ordering ammo online, have only bought 80 rounds in store since 2020. Ammo does seem to be becoming more available and coming back to earth in price, but slowly.

I just found some 220gr for my 30.06 a couple weeks ago, limit of 2 for $34 I think. Not terrible, but I haven't seen those in YEARS. I had 4 rounds left, but now I have more! Them suckers are great for sub 100yds when you just gotta be able to see through the deer after the shot. Lol
I believe it was midwayusa had them, 220 grainers, on sale for $15 a box a year or so back. I bought four boxes.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
I'm a Barnes or partition guy in the 243.... I had enough Barnes to get me through til my vortex took a crap.... Went to Dunham's bought a new vortex and some browning bxr....

They shoot good, but man I'm not a fan on non bonded rapid expansion bullets.... They're made by Winchester and are a flat based Deer Season essentially.......

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I just bought a savage axis .243 to use as range gun and maybe my daughter can use it when she is older. Sweet little gun for 420 bucks. I mounted a diamond back vortex 3.5-10x50 on it that I already had

I used ammo seek and found some fiocchi 100 grain bullets for $32 shipped. Mainly bought them to shoot and reload the brass. Anyway ammo seek has a couple differnt brands of ammo for the 243 in the high twenties, low thirties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,224 Posts
I'm a Barnes or partition guy in the 243.... I had enough Barnes to get me through til my vortex took a crap.... Went to Dunham's bought a new vortex and some browning bxr....

They shoot good, but man I'm not a fan on non bonded rapid expansion bullets.... They're made by Winchester and are a flat based Deer Season essentially.......
I love Nosler partitions, accurate and deadly as can be, I runn’em in 270 win and 300 wm

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
I love Nosler partitions, accurate and deadly as can be, I runn’em in 270 win and 300 wm
Oldie but a goodie if you can get them to shoot shoot em lose a deer isn't the bullets fault

Reactions: RHRoss

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Oldie but a goodie if you can get them to shoot shoot em lose a deer isn't the bullets fault
I love the Nosler Partition but I only use them for shoulder shots on bigger animals typically at closer (under 300 yards)ranges. Rib cage shots there isn't really any advantage to them over any other cup and core type bullet. I prefer a frangible bullet for those shots personally. Most deer hit in the ribs with a bonded bullet tend to run before dying. Thin jacket match type bullets explode almost instantly once inside the animal a few inches and they drop on impact. My grand daughter shoots Fusion ammo in her .243. Her father likes them and they do harvest deer. Similar bullet design as a partition. Kills them very dead, fairly fast but they don't leave much blood and they run a bit before expiring. Not that it's a bad thing but a DRT deer is the best gun shot deer IMO. Lots of options out there and tough to beat the partition for an all around deer killer.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,224 Posts
I love the Nosler Partition but I only use them for shoulder shots on bigger animals typically at closer (under 300 yards)ranges. Rib cage shots there isn't really any advantage to them over any other cup and core type bullet. I prefer a frangible bullet for those shots personally. Most deer hit in the ribs with a bonded bullet tend to run before dying. Thin jacket match type bullets explode almost instantly once inside the animal a few inches and they drop on impact. My grand daughter shoots Fusion ammo in her .243. Her father likes them and they do harvest deer. Similar bullet design as a partition. Kills them very dead, fairly fast but they don't leave much blood and they run a bit before expiring. Not that it's a bad thing but a DRT deer is the best gun shot deer IMO. Lots of options out there and tough to beat the partition for an all around deer killer.
I shot one one time with a nosler partition with a 300 WM, at 400yrds, through shoulder, it hit blade/bone on exit side and blew a patch of hide and meat 12” in diameter, absolutely devastating!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts