Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i shoot 58 grain moly coated varmint express out of my .243 hr handi rifle. what do you guys think i should zero it in at?? i hunt alot of open fields that i can shoot out past 6-700 yards if i need to.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Really depends on what you'll be shooting. For varmints I'd probably zero @ 200yards with additional info taped to the stock regarding longer shots (ammo, elevation & distance). That way you have some idea of how many "clicks" you'll need to adjust when that 500 yard shot presents itself.

Most "500 yard club" folks are using rifles a little higher-end and many are either using flat shooting rounds like .22-250 or wildcat rounds. Handloading and tuning rounds for your particular rifle would help as well.

For deer, I'd stick to 100gr. and shorter distances. Maybe 200yd max.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Rupestris said:
Really depends on what you'll be shooting. For varmints I'd probably zero @ 200yards with additional info taped to the stock regarding longer shots (ammo, elevation & distance). That way you have some idea of how many "clicks" you'll need to adjust when that 500 yard shot presents itself.

Most "500 yard club" folks are using rifles a little higher-end and many are either using flat shooting rounds like .22-250 or wildcat rounds. Handloading and tuning rounds for your particular rifle would help as well.

For deer, I'd stick to 100gr. and shorter distances. Maybe 200yd max.
The Stevens M-200 with a TT scope and hand loads of 75 Speer HP and IMR-4895 make that shooting no problem. The 243 shoots just fine out there and it doesnt have the drift of the 22 cals. [Speer manual states that for those who didnt know]. However we do use a lot of 22-250 ammo, and 25-06 75gr HP/over AA-3100 powder.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Sorry 27, I'm not saying the .243 will not shoot well at that distance. my point was that the opportunity to shoot game at 200 yards is alot more likely to occour than the long 500 to 700 yarders. Michigan varmint hunting tends to be a bit different than prairie doggin' out west [at least where I've hunted].

The flat shooting charicteristics of the .243 is one of the reasons there is one in my near future. I even posted a thread on TheHighRoad refering to the .243 as the "Poor Mans 6-PPC".

I was not trying to pigeon-hole the .243 as a sub-200yd round. It'll reach much further than that when the opportunity comes around.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
But we still get some distance on the woodchucks here. I know mine gets a good workout here and out there.
About 1/2 way through reloading another 600 or so 243s right now. May load a few Sierra 70 Blitzkings. Thats about all I have to finish for next years PD trip. Cant get here soon enough.
Sounds like your about set to drop the green for one soon. Any particular model?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
For varmint hunting at long distances my uncle (in his 60's) swears by the Savage 12VSS in .22-250. His health is not what it used to be so prairie dog hunting out west is about all he can do anymore. He made the Varmint Hunters 500 club with a PD @ 597yds. I hope to make it out there with him before his health stops him completely.

I've got my eye on the Savage 12FV. Not stainless and doesn't have the Choate stock but still a heavy bbl, with the new Accutrigger.

I doubt I'll use it for deer since I have a .30-30's so the bull bbl of the savage shouldn't be an issue.

Still up in the air on scope choice.

If course I'll probably have to get into reloading shortly after.:rolleyes:

I'll be hittin' you up for some of those secret recipies... :p

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
I usually load all my 22-250s/243/25-06 this time of year for the next trip out.
If I had to buy factory [even at wholesale] the wife would take the checkbook.
I think youll like the Savages. I have yet to buy a bad one.
The reloading is pretty simple for the most part. SAVE your cases! and if anyone else shoots that caliber try to accumulate what you can [cuts your costs].
For some unknown reason, I have been looking at another 243 in the Weatherby Vanguard Sub-MOA`s, or the Rem Laminated HB VLS.
The HB are nice if shooting from a stationary platform [bench] but we do a lot of shooting, then may get up and walk 1/2 mile and find another section to shoot out there and the HBs get a bit heavy to carry [especially with a back pack full of ammo,food,drinks]. The Harris bipods usually work pretty well out there.
Hoping to do some calling for fox and coyotes this week. Need to blow the dust out of the 22-250 or 243 sometime this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts