3,049 Posts
what are you looking to spend?
what kind of fishing will you doing?
will this also be a family boat?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry about my last post, what I am really after is a trailer for my boat. I just purchased a 24 foot boat, so I am thinking about purchasing a trailer for it, in the event that I would like to try a different lake than LSC. Thanks anyway Tonga, according to this site all boat question should be sent to you anyway. It looks like you are the boat guy. If you know of a good boat mechanic I could use some information on that also. I am new to the boating world. I just want the basics done to the motor, safety check, wires changed if need, hose replaced if needed, what else should I get checked out?

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Oh I see,,,,well you may wan't to check out
http://www.boattraderonline.com/
Also these guys have a lot of used trailers at good prices but they are in GA,,they say they have shipping options but I don't know what it would cos to have a trailer shipped up to MI,,but you may still want to check them out
http://www.laniermarine.net/
Also I will say while I am good with boats that there are many others in here that are good with boats also..
So how about a litle more info about your boat so we can better answer your question.
what kind of boat is it?
How old is it?
Is it an I/O or outboard? Exactly what is it powered by?
How long has it been out of the water?
What do you know about the history of the boat?

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
I'd make sure whatever trailer you buy is a perfect fit for your boat. I'd shell out the extra $$$ up front and buy a new trailer if you can't find a used one made for your boat.

You see older boats often paired with a trailer that the boat will fit on but wasn't really made for. Little things clue you in like eye bolts run through the trailer with rachet straps being used for tie-downs, rollers that don't quite all ride properly supporting the boat, etc. (If you have a 4 roller set all should be load bearing.)

On a boat that size a tandem axle is normal, I'd shoot for a triple if you can afford it. The one thing I regret on my current boat is that it only has one axle. I always like a redundant axle just in case a tire blows.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Triple axle would be rediculas overkill for that boat. I agree 100% with tandem for redundancy if a tire blows(We had a tire pass us on I-69 off a 24' boat trailer, humbling to say the least). Theres a place by Sandusky OH called Venture. Their trailers were nice. they used torsion axles for a good ride. I think one for a 23' was right about $2200 New with 4 wheeel brakes. May be worth a shot. That pricing was about 1.5 years ago.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Venture are a good buy. GF'd dad has one. Look at Nextrail too if you wan Aluminium. Got one for a buddies 24' Trophy for around $2500. It was bumped up to 8000lbs capacity

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
one of my neighbors has one sitting outside his barn ,I'll get the scoop on it . I helped polarbear find his ,hope it works out.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
jimbobway, i am very happy with it. thanks again. after it is painted i am going to post a pic of it.:D ;) :p i really appreciate it. Polarbear

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guy, jimbob keep me posted, i bought a 1987 24 foot regal, minus the dive platform. I think the engine is a 320 merc-cruiser I/O.. It is more of cruiseing boat sleeping 4-6 people, but I plan on fishing with it all the time. A freind of the family just wanted to get rid of it, so I practically stole it from him. The engine has less than 350 hours, but it has not seen water in three years. He had everything winterized, and the last year it was in water he had all the plugs/hoses replaced.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts