Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Caught my first lake huron brown this morning. I Weighed it at work (The ups store) on my way home. Weighed in at 21.42lbs, 35inches.

I am thinking about getting the fish mounted. What should I do in order to get a good mount on the fish? Freeze the whole fish? Take several pictures and measurements? Forget about the mount and eat it?

The fish has some battle scars on it, will those show up in a mount

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Nice fish, I'd mount it. A good taxidermist will get rid of any imperfections. Get ready to spend at least $400!

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Beauty brown, congrats!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Nice Brown! Based on the picture I would say it's in good shape for mounting. Make sure you fill out the form for your master angler (anything over 16 lbs qualifies). Nice patch to put next to your mount.:)

Not to get to particular, but what port did you get it from? What bait? Everyone likes to hear good fish stories. Thanks and congrats again. I think you're spoiled now.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the positive comments. I am still deciding on getting a mount done. I also read the sticky in the taxidermy thread on how to take care of a fish that may be mounted.

The fish was caught in the thumb, on a body bait. We had one other fish on at the same time I was fighting this fish, a silver fish that hit and then went airborn but spit the hook. It was maybe 2-5lbs. Nothing after that.

Several other boats out today. Most got out there later in the morning. Some went out of sight others stayed tight to shore. I don't know how they did.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
get it mounted or ill think later on you will wish you had! fantastic fish, you may never get another like that.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
Your crazy if you dont get that mounted. Congrats on a great fish!! I like to put a little borax on my fish before i wrap them in the wet towel help with the color of the fish. Tom Wolf is one of the best at fish mounts let me know if you want his #.

Scott

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Awesome Brown...you're crazy if you don't mount it or at least take a ton of pics and very good measurements for a reproduction in the future.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There all nuts. YOu eat that fish man. :D Actually it really doesn't matter, the more I see of em, the more I think I'd just get a repo for two reasons. #1 I love fish and while it is big, a good marinade and grill will still make it delicous. #2 A repo will probably be close to the same price as the original, but with a repo, you won't have the problem of it drying out and cracking. Just my opinion, but I'd definately get a mount one way or the other, Thats a real tank. The guys are right, you'll fish a long while to get another one that big. Good job!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would definitely get it mounted. Fishing Machine gave you good name Wolf another would be Lombardo or i in St Clair area I know some one on forum would know. Nice looking brown and don't want to sound like a smart one but I know Browns!. Capt Ed

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
That is one beautiful fish! I'm jealous:mad: I would eat that fish but that's just me.. I don't mount anything I'm not married to. :whistle: Actually I don't eat... Ohh.. Never mind. :mischeif:

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
stillfish said:
Nice fish, I'd mount it. A good taxidermist will get rid of any imperfections. Get ready to spend at least $400!
That is a cheap taxidermist, i caught a 18 3/4 lbr about 5 yrs ago out of a Huron trib and it cost me $650 when i was done.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am so freakin' jealous LOL...Congrats man....NICE FISH!!!!

LMF :fish:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Awesome fish! Almost identical length and weight of the one I got mounted last year. It came out of a thumb port too, but on a spoon. Check my gallery out and Ill give you the number of the place that did mine if you want it. It's all the way up in Charleviox, but I couldn't be more pleased with how it came out. I'm sure glad I got it mounted. It will probably cost around 500 @ 35inch. You have to get that HOG mounted. Way to go again.:tdo12: :xzicon_sm

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Mount that hog. Glad to to see Huron keeping right on pumping out 20lb browns!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to the DNR website, browns can get up to 13yrs old!! I wonder how old this guy was? Salmonous Maximus, what time of the year did you get your fish. Your mount looks great.

·
Premium Member
30,308 Posts
Awesome brown, the seeforellens are getting bigger:SHOCKED: I remember reading that when they started stocking them, they figure Michigan will get back the world record one day to where its suppose to be, the great lakes:D

I'd take lots of pics of the fish from all 4 sides (each side,back,belly) and measure with soft measuring tape like they tailors use. I think there is certain areas to measure, then clean and smoke that baby, and get a replica made with pics all in background around the mount.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts