Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
The hand book says rifles and handguns are prohibited from nov. 15-30 in shotgun zone. So my take is as long as it's not deer season, you can use a rifle at night.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Lol nope rimfire and shotgun only at night anywhere in Michigan

·
Registered
104 Posts
The hand book says rifles and handguns are prohibited from nov. 15-30 in shotgun zone. So my take is as long as it's not deer season, you can use a rifle at night.
Its advice like this that can get people in trouble. If you don't know, don't advise people on "your take".
See the link above for the laws "take".

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Its advice like this that can get people in trouble. If you don't know, don't advise people on "your take".
See the link above for the laws "take".
His "take" was probably a bad misinterpretation of the handbook, you shouldn't be so hard on him, and anyways never trust any 1 source of info. Always do a little digging on your own.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Day light hours, .223 is leagal for coyote hunting throughout the state. Not legal for use at night. The shotgun/ rifle zones are set up for deer hunting, and do not apply to predator hunting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Day light hours, .223 is leagal for coyote hunting throughout the state. Not legal for use at night. The shotgun/ rifle zones are set up for deer hunting, and do not apply to predator hunting.
True but If i understand it correctly cant use rifle in shotgun zone for yotes during november deer firearm season correct?

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
You can not use it from Nov 10-30 in Shotgun zone. 10th-14th is the so called quiet period.

Rest of the year can use any rifle during daylight.

Page 17 of the hunting guide:

Rifles in the Shotgun Zone
Centerfire or rimfire rifles may be used Dec. 1 - Nov. 9 in the Shotgun Zone (see
pg. 11) during the open season for all species except, no rifles may be used for
deer, turkeys and migratory game birds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Now where does it say in the rulebook that centerfire rifles are not to be used for nighttime hunting?
And in regards to why rifles are not allowed during the firearm deer season nov15-30; I believe has more to do with the amount of hunters in the woods rather than poaching.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Now where does it say in the rulebook that centerfire rifles are not to be used for nighttime hunting?
And in regards to why rifles are not allowed during the firearm deer season nov15-30; I believe has more to do with the amount of hunters in the woods rather than poaching.
I posted it above, TWICE!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Page 54, rules to nighttime hunting. Rimfire only, .22 or smaller for rifle.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Called the Southfield office Talked with a sergeant he identified himself (did not catch the name). I specifically ask if it was legal to use a 223 to hunt coyote in the shot gun zone"3" at night. He said it was with the exception of the November firearm deer season.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I would call another office. The guide clearly states that you can only use rim fire, or shotgun for night hunting. .223 is a center fire round, and that makes it illegal for hunting at night.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Illegal at night, legal during the day other than Nov 10 - Nov 30.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts