Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a .22 hand gun for plinking. I don't want to spend alot to begain with. I just want to shoot targets with my boy. Where is a good place to look for one in mid-Mi and how much should I look to pay?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Robow said:
I'm thinking about getting a .22 hand gun for plinking. I don't want to spend alot to begain with. I just want to shoot targets with my boy. Where is a good place to look for one in mid-Mi and how much should I look to pay?
The Ruger semi auto, S&W semi and the Ruger Convertables [22 LR and 22 Mag cyclinders] You may find them used, or if new 225 and up.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The Ruger Mk II & Mk III are classics. Prices range from $200 on sale to $400 for some of the higher end models.
I have a Mark II and once I found the ammo it likes, I had a dependable accurate plinker.

The Beretta Neos is a great little gun. I didn't like the look of it but a friend of mine has one and it eats anything. No jams, No FTE,s. Its just plain dependable. Price $250

Browning Buckmark - Great lightweight plinker for about $270

Smith & Wesson 22A usually goes for $200. Its another ugly gun but it does what is asked of it.

Personally, I think the Ruger Mark II is the standard when it comes to inexpensive .22 semi-autos. I'd look for a used one or look at the Mark III's since the II's are no longer made.

·
Michimaniac
4,542 Posts
A Ruger Mark II with a bull barrell. Great semi-auto....AS LONG AS YOU USE THE FACTORY CLIPS. All the aftermarket (and higher capacity) clips seem to jam on a regular basis. Never had a jamming problem with ANY ammo when using the factory clips.

Steve

·
Michimaniac
4,542 Posts
One Eye said:
Ruger Single Six
I have one also and like it alot--not the speediest pistol to put 300-500 rounds through a day when just plinking and target shooting. I can shoot the Single Six with a little more accuracy that my Mark II auto.

Steve

·
Registered
654 Posts
If you can find a nice used Smith & Wesson K-22 it will put all of the above suggested "pieces" to shame - unbelievable trigger.

Ruger1

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I have owned a Ruger Single Six convertable for over 30 years....a fine little shooter. But, like somebody said, reload isn't all that fast if you like to plink rapidly.

I also happen to own a Ruger .22/45 with a bull bbl which I absolutely love. With the iron sights or by adding a red dot....fun to shoot and accurate.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Been doing some research on the same subject. For a good "plinker", I think it would be hard to beat the S&W mod 22A, or the Beretta Neos. A friend of mine has the 22A and it's a tack driver. The Rugers are good too but have heard they are VERY hard to field strip and clean. If any of You Ruger owners can help out on this, I'd like to know. Gander Mountain is always seeling the 22A's for $199 -pretty darn good deal. Good luck - Bob

·
Michimaniac
4,542 Posts
chamookman said:
The Rugers are good too but have heard they are VERY hard to field strip and clean.
:yeahthat:

Steve

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
chamookman said:
The Rugers are good too but have heard they are VERY hard to field strip and clean. If any of You Ruger owners can help out on this, I'd like to know.

Heck, it has been so long since I have had mine apart....I guess I don't remember if I swore much or not... :lol:

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
chamookman said:
The Rugers are good too but have heard they are VERY hard to field strip and clean. If any of You Ruger owners can help out on this, I'd like to know. Bob
Bob, Start here:

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/field_strip.htm

Theres a step-by-step with pix and a good video.

They become easier to take down and reassemble after a being done few times.
The first time I did mine I had to smack it with a piece of 1X3 pine.

Easier now. Only tool needed for takedown is a paper clip or a piece of fishing line to loop over the tab on the takedown lever.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Was hopeing You Guys would chime in for Robow to hear that from the horses mouth. Have solved My .22 quest. Being a 1911 NUT, I've decided to purchase a Springfield GI .45 ACP (can't have too many 45's), and get a .22 conversion kit. That way I have the 1911 heft/trigger/grip for practice/FUN in a dedicated 1911 frame. Plus I'll add a red-dot sight also. Didn't meen to hijack Your post Robow. Bob

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
The Ruger Single Six is a great wheel gun. If you are looking at a semi-auto, I have had the Ruger and the browning. I no longer have the Ruger and have since bought the Buckmark Rifle to go with the Buckmark pistol. Very well made and the bull barrel balances them out nicely.

A friend of mine has the Neo, they are a nice shooter, I would take one over the Ruger Semi any day of the week, but still prefer the Buckmark.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
There are several models of double action revolvers available from S&W but they are pricey. Taurus also has several but I have heard next to nothing about them. One that I have looked into for myself was the double action revolver from Ruger, the SP-101. Their 22 caliber SP is the only one I know of that included adjustable front sights.

22s are great for plinking (whatever that really is :) :) ) and a great way to learn some of the basic shooting skills. At the same time they can be a great way to pick up some very bad habits.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Just a suggestion if it is a price sensitive issue look into the Heritage Rough Rider. I bought one a few years back at Dunhams and the retail price was $99.00. Shoots great looks very similar to the single six and had .22 and .22mag cylinders. It is single action and no fancy bells or whistles but for for plinking or hunting it is a great gun for the money but all suggestions so far are too

AW

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If a used firearm isn't out of the question, look around for a High Standard Double-Nine.
Its a 9 shot, double action revolver that has the overall look of a single action "cowboy" style revolver. They have a swing out cylinder so unloading is quicker than the Ruger.
I have found them used for under $100.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts