Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know both have there advantages. I have a 14ft mod v w/20hp Beavertail now. Was thinking of SD for more speed and torque. What am I sacrificing by going to a SD? Thanks

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The only thing I can think of is if you pull your boat over dykes the Sd can't be turned around so your prop is in the boat so you might get hung up and if you hunt flooded timber the longtail is the way to go.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The only thing I can think of is if you pull your boat over dykes the Sd can't be turned around so your prop is in the boat so you might get hung up and if you hunt flooded timber the longtail is the way to go.

I disagree with the flooded timber comment. I've hunted both Arkansas and Mississippi with both my motors and the ad is by far the better choice for flooded Timber hunting. I used to have to go a 1/2 mile or better to find a spot big enough to turn that long tail around. Not good in tight areas at all IMO. I've had both motors. For what I do the surface drives are hands down more versatile especially in tight areas like flooded woods.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I disagree with the flooded timber comment. I've hunted both Arkansas and Mississippi with both my motors and the ad is by far the better choice for flooded Timber hunting. I used to have to go a 1/2 mile or better to find a spot big enough to turn that long tail around. Not good in tight areas at all IMO. I've had both motors. For what I do the surface drives are hands down more versatile especially in tight areas like flooded woods.
I agree with you but I think the longtail can take more of a beating with objects underwater. My buddies go devil is like a tank.i wouldn't want to hit a lot of logs or rocks with my SD.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My main use is Pt. Mouille and more open areas. Not a lot of dike pulling. Like I said it currently has the long tail now but was thinking about upgrading to a SD

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
My main use is Pt. Mouille and more open areas. Not a lot of dike pulling. Like I said it currently has the long tail now but was thinking about upgrading to a SD
That's where I hunt and a SD is the way to go.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I need to sell the Beavertail and pick out a SD. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Remmi,

I wonder how this has worked out for you. Are you able to get it across the rollers going into the vermet!
I am thinking about switching to an hd myself, as long as I can get over the rollers.
I would appreciate hearing your thoughts.
Thanks
Fowlhabit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts