Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RZ and others, just wondering what the powder has been for your go-to loads in the 204 Ruger cal. Been using factory loads, but have enough brass to reload now. Just wondering what bullets and propellants are best? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
I am wondering as well. I picked up a Savage .204 Friday and after MUCH frustration I FINALLY got some shots on paper. I now have 40 brass waiting to be reloaded :) Important lesson learned: make sure the scope is mounted CORRECTLY BEFORE shooting any rounds!!!!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
varget gets exceptional accuracy, but is slow in my gun, with max loads hitting around 3500 fps.

h322 is turning out to be the "go-to" 204 powder for us. 26.7 grains under a 35 grain berger chrono's in the 3700-3800 fps range, and is exceptionally accurate. that charge will also shoot midway's cheap "dogtown" bullets at MOA.

i'd start with 322. as a sidenote, 322 is used extensively for those shooting smokeless muzzleloaders, either as a primary (in the 70 grain range, pushing 250 grain bullets in the neighborhood of 2,500 fps) or as a booster in a duplex load with n110/sr4759. though, its not a "factory" recommended powder, and duplex loads aren't found in any manual.. ;)

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Thanks Quak, I was just about to type a request for links!! :lol:

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hunter333 said:
Thanks Quak, I was just about to type a request for links!! :lol:
at Gander Mtn on clearance? 250 and tax? My brother and I have them and they shoot great with just the factory ammo Ive used in this one [Win 34 HP] not to mention taking out numerous chucks this Spring. For the money its a shooting machine.
The only problem Ive encountered is case trimming. Hate to buy all the fancy stuff when I use the Lee length ga trimmers. Im sure Lee will have the 204 soon.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Are reloading tools readily available? I looked for a die at cabelas and they dont carry the .204. Any idea where I can get one?

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hunter333 said:
Are reloading tools readily available? I looked for a die at cabelas and they dont carry the .204. Any idea where I can get one?
the die sets, [Hornady,RCBS, and the rest] The only problem I have encountered was the trimming equipment. However, RCBS makes a 20 cal pilot for their case trimmer so its not a big problem.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
for the money. I have the RCBS Rockchucker [old but keeps ticking] and a Lee O type press [Challenger]. They will do the job and the price is right. The shell holders are interchageable too. Or if you dont have shellholders buy the [Green box for the presses] Lee shell holder set as it covers most reloading calibers youll ever tinker with, for the price of 2-3 individual RCBS shellholders.
The Red box of Lee shellholders is for the auto prime tool. A dandy gizmo Id recommend for priming if you dont have one. Theres a lot of things I want to buy right now too, but we leave this week for the PD trip out west and I have to wait til I get back..........going to have a lot of once fired 204,22-250 and 243 brass when I get back for sure. Not to mention the 3 guns I have in lay-a-way!

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and a few others too. Gander Mtn?

RZ----We used H322 on a few calibers and using the ammo out west [90s it was hot that trip] had pressure problems even though they werent near max. Ill give it a try in the 204 and see what it can do.
I have a supply of 39 Sierra BKs and 40 Hornady V-max to try at present. May grab some Nosler BTs and try them also. Thanks for the data help.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
huntsman - yes, temps are rarely a concern for me, unless i'm at the range. can't say whether you'll have pressure problems with the 322 in warm weather. though, i believe that sierra lists it as their hunting load recommendation for the 204.

quakr - savageshooters.com is now a "pay" site. $12/year.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont do much varminting in those temps here [maybe once in the 90s here for chucks]. One year I remember it was pretty hot, and Brians 308 HB Ruger and 243 Browning were having problems extracting after firing. Looked like pressure problems, and he didnt have the problem when he went to the range here [70s]...
Never had the problem with stick powders though, but I dont load them real hot as with that volume of shooting we want the barrel to last for a bit. So far forecast looks like highs in the 70s and lows near 40. Hopefully we will have some great days of shooting next week.
Still want to work with the Varget as with the high volume, its slower speed [3500] wouldnt be a problem. Hopefully we can pick up a large batch of 20 cal,22 cal and 6mm Hornady bullets from the factory too.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts