Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I decided to hit the farm again today. As soon as I rounded the barns I spied a chuck 5:50 pm. About 125 yards I made the range. He was holding about 15 yards off the fenceline. I slowly kicked the bipod out and rolled slowly to the left for a shot.
I scoped him and it slowly was making its way for the fenceline again. I got him centered and as soon as forward movement ceased I slipped a 34gr Win Hp its way. Quickly I cycled the bolt if a follow up shot was needed.
I saw something raise and thought, Im going to have to fire again.
It was the tail of the chuck, Im not sure if it was meant as a flipping off gesture, or a signal of surrender! I was off and checked the chuck DOA.
A quick postmortem [squeamish refrain from further reading].
I pulled the hide back with my Swiss Army knife. Underneath I saw a 1-1/4 inch entrance wound. There were pieces of jacket material here just under the hide. The lungs and heart were taken out and penetration was but 4 inches. There was NO exit wound. The insides were shredded completely.
I decided to push on even though the clouds were building to the west.
About 250 yards away was a creek, where we have seen recent chuck activity. At about 200 yards I scanned the bank again and saw activity to the west. A CHUCK!.......I was coming in from the north [chuck is south/west of me, and wind is from the south] He is standing along side a fence pole looking south. Quickly, I low sprint 30 yards to get position on him. He never saw me. Quickly, I deploy the bipod, and square him in the Burris 3x9 scope. I had some debris in the scope, small sticks and worried the bullet may come up short and frag on one of them. A bit of movement and I had a clear shot at 191 yards. I centered the chuck and squeezed off. I saw him fold over backward, into the taller grass next to the fence. Racked in a fresh round and set off to look. I jumped the creek, and for a moment thought, I couldnt have missed??? I climbed the bank, and looked down to see a sight. The chuck was hit dead center in the back, and had rolled backward into its den about 8 inches. I retrieved it from the den relieved Id smacked it dead on.
Continuing on, I saw 2 turkeys, and watched them scoot over the railroad tracks. I then caught movement 20 yards to the south of the turkeys. Oh my! 3 small young chucks about 300 yards near a power tower. Then at 6:35 the rain downpour hit. The three chucks ran for cover, I dropped my pack and got my rain coat out, and headed for the barns for cover myself.
Returning home, the wonderful MRS. had a scrumptous dinner of steak and fixings for me! What a great day!
Anyone else get shooting today??

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
glad im not a chuck on that farm and for that record i really hope all these woodchucks have come from different farms.... i havent gotten out in a while... not going out till i get my gobbler :) some more good shooting.... i think your ready for your hunt.

·
Registered
6,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trip out west. The guns are dialed in and Im looking forward to burning off mass quantities of ammo out there. Good luck with the turkey hunting. I couldve shot so many on the farm its not funny. Some day Ill get interested in blasting one.
That farm has so many fresh diggings Im sure there will be plenty more targets. Good excercise, and target practice over there. May go back out tomorrow after work. Overtime work for some extra cash for the trip. Never know how many bullets Ill want to buy when we stop at Hornadys plant!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts